The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Speaking of chairs
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Nut

Speaking of chairs

What is up with the Herman Miller Aeron chair ? It has become like a pair of NS10 in every studio. Why ?

curious?
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Sit in one and you'll know why they are so common. They are a bit better than the NS-10 of chairs, though...

--Ben
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quality sitting, fine place to park the keester.
If you are going to spend hours at a time in a chair, do it in a good one.

Old 14th May 2003
Gear Addict

Let your clients sit in your Aeron and they will book more time! Seriously. They don't care what mics you've got - its the furniture they like.
Old 14th May 2003
V popular. And V expencive.. Very adjustable, good for concentration?

Old 14th May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

not that you asked, but ...

Aeron knock-offs and other comparable chairs that won't cost you a kidney in This Thread .
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Nut

Aeron

I find my self drastically leaning forward when I sit in an aeron chair. I always feel like I am going to fall back or break the chair. Are they suppose to lean back so much ?
Old 15th May 2003
Aerons are ALL about laying back...

It's the adult version of leaning chair back almost untill it falls when you were a kid...
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Nut

oooooo

Lay back? I'm 5' 7 and my arms won't reach the console very well. You never see pictures of people actually sitting ?
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

Gotta check out the Life chair by Knoll

http://www.knoll.com/products/life/life.html

Less expensive than the Aeron, more expensive than the knockoffs, and perhaps more comfy than either (at least for me).

(of course, I say this and I haven't gotten mine yet, but it is on the "to-do" list)
-dave
Old 16th May 2003
Didn't you know that they're in PT manual in the "Additional tools needed to set up your PT Rig" section. THAT's why everyone's got 'em. Digi must get a cut .
Old 19th May 2003
Here for the gear

I can't even pretend to understand why this is true, but I swear it is: Aerons have cut down on random static electricity zaps at our place. Maybe lack of cloth-on-cloth contact? I dunno, but I know it works and it's soooo comfy.

As for the leaning-too-far back issue: on most of the Aerons (there's a less expensive, hence less adjustable HM Aeron) there's a "rod" on the right side of the chair. Twist it forward...a lot. That will limit the chairs rear-ward travel perfectly to your tastes.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

I've had mine about 2 years...at the time I thought it was a extravagant,over the top purchase but now with hind sight I need 2 more .
Spread the $500 over several years and it's pennies a day.
Really pays for itself during long sessions.....
Old 19th May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
I've had mine about 2 years...at the time I thought it was a extravagant,over the top purchase but now with hind sight I need 2 more .
Spread the $500 over several years and it's pennies a day.
Really pays for itself during long sessions.....
Are they down to $500 now? Last time I looked at them, they were up around $750-800. Drop me a link or business name for that price if you would.

Of course, the chair will have to wait until I've picked out the right amp...
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

Jax,
I had a friend who placed a large order and slid me one for $500 but check on Ebay there are usually several FA and I think they are in the $500 neighborhood.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Maniac

they even come in 3 sizes.

small medium and large. it's important to get the right size to maximize the effect.
Old 20th May 2003
Gear Nut

For those of you who might be interested in something more expensive but a whole lot better, check out the Freedom Chair by Humanscale. Unlike the Aeron chair, there's almost nothing to adjust. The chair is counterbalanced by your weight, and it moves with you - as you lean forward, the back swings forward and supports your lower back, as you lean back it supports you higher on your back, and the headrest pivots forward and supports your head exactly where you want it. And the best thing, for those of us who like to play guitar or bass at the console, is that the arms can pivot down out of the way while you play, and then swing back up just by lifting them.

Most of my back and neck problems (mostly due to a lot of 10-12 hour days at the computer) went away when I got mine. They're not cheap, but IMO well worth the money!
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

got one

I ended up buying yesterday.

I got the $149.00 office master task chair, BC44 armless.
It is 2 way adjustable (seat tilt and height) and back height is adjustable with a knob on the back. Also, it's not as squeeky as a lot of the sub -$200 chairs.

http://www.office-master.com/productsbctask.html

One day I will get the knoll chair,.... man it is nice.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear