The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NEW Favorite Vocal Tube Mic pre?
Old 13th May 2003
NEW Favorite Vocal Tube Mic pre?

I know the question has been asked before, but maybe some of you have tried some new stuff since the last. Oh yea and why do you like it?
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

The A Designs MP-2 2 channel pre kicks ass. I bought one and went after an endorsement. I wouldn't use any other tube pre with a ribbon mic while tracking vocals ever again. The MP-2r unit was actually developed WITH royer for use with their ribbon mics. It's the cleanest tube pre on the market.
Old 14th May 2003
Mindreader

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/

What's that Reddi thing like? Looks kind of cool.
Old 14th May 2003
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

The Reddi (yeah, it's red) is one bad ass tube D.I. It has an extra octave on the low end and I believe 2 extra octaves on the top end compare to the Demeter unit, which was my favorite tube direct input unit in the past. I sent the beta's back MANY times to get it just right and had to blind test it with over 10 different types of DI boxes and other Hi Z input devices. Direct Bass, Rhodes, and Guitar will never be the same.

Back on topic, the Vipre is a monster as well. Being able to change rise times and input impedences gives you control in ways that's difficult to describe at times. sidenote: the a design's MP-2 has a varible output impedence which can be helpful too.
Old 14th May 2003
Dot
Lives for gear

We have an A Designs MP-1 here and we really dig it. I'd like to have 2 channels.

I reviewed the MP-1 here.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

So MP1 or MP-1NV? That is the question.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldone
So MP1 or MP-1NV? That is the question.
The Great River MP-1NV isn't tube based.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Lots of pres come and go around here...

The DW Fearn seems to have a permanent home.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Vipre

Requisite pal+ (or just the pre)

as always

malice
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Pendulum Audio MDP-1. Recently re-discovered after it was down for a bit.
Actually, I did something very dumb, maybe others can learn from my stupidity. The unit was acting up, pots sounded dirty and my output was distorted. The wave looked very wrong on the computer screen. I had just bought another pre and was happy playing with that, and dreading the idea of sending my expensive MDP-1 off for repairs. I sent an email to Pendulum and got a quick response to check if I was sending it phantom power from my board.

Do'h! The switch was inadvertently turned on, and since I have not looked at the pre's on the board for a long time I didn't notice.

Recording some vocals last week using an AT 4050 through the MDP-1 and the singer commented that she loooooved the sound.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

seems the Vipre...we should be having a mic pre shootout the first week of June with Eric Schilling n the NARAS boys...so we'll see what everyone thinks...anyone want a pre included...let me know
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
Pendulum Audio MDP-1.
Yup!... My MDP-1a makes me smile on a pretty regular basis.
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Head

Coldsnow,
I noticed you recently sold a Vipre, almost bought it myself, are you looking for a specific type of sound? Like some of the other posters, I really dig the Pendulum pre, but it does not come across as a particularly tubey-sounding to me. Actually, if I didn't know it to be a tube piece, would have assumed it to be solid-state. Very clean extended highs, pristine. Doing vocals with my Lawson mic, cannot overdrive the pre but haven't tried daisy-chaining the two channels for additional drive. Come to think of it would be interesting to try it.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
The Great River MP-1NV isn't tube based.
I was refering to the cost of the sound more than the technology. Which one would you rather use?
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Oldone
I was refering to the cost of the sound more than the technology. Which one would you rather use?
I was just trying to stay within the thread ("NEW Favorite Vocal Tube Mic pre?"). But to answer your question, which depends on the situation (vocals? drums? percussion? bass? strings? guitar? horns? piano? hiz input?), I'd say in general the A Designs unit for most things.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I was just trying to stay within the thread ("NEW Favorite Vocal Tube Mic pre?"). But to answer your question, which depends on the situation (vocals? drums? percussion? bass? strings? guitar? horns? piano? hiz input?), I'd say in general the A Designs unit for most things.
Sounds like a sales pitch in there.
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by zenfreud
... I really dig the Pendulum pre, but it does not come across as a particularly tubey-sounding to me. Actually, if I didn't know it to be a tube piece, would have assumed it to be solid-state. Very clean extended highs, pristine.
That's exactly what I dig about the MDP-1a. You can get very pristine results out of it or drive the front end for varying degrees of 'tubely-ness' all the way out to complete grunge.

Quote:
Doing vocals with my Lawson mic, cannot overdrive the pre but haven't tried daisy-chaining the two channels for additional drive. Come to think of it would be interesting to try it.
I bet it would... I've not used any of the Lawson products so I can't speak to those but I haven't had any trouble driving condensors on vocals when I needed to, at least not yet anyway.
Old 15th May 2003
Lives for gear

Gyraf Audio Gyratec-II:

http://www.gyraf.dk/gyraf2/gyratec2/index.htm

Real tube mic pre. Real tube Compressor. Real tube Eq.

I may be biased, but I haven't heard anything sounding better for non-classical music (yet)

Jakob E.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear