The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
stereo xy or spaced pair
Old 19th October 2009
Here for the gear

stereo xy or spaced pair

Hi, I'm going to record a string quartet and a 3 piece brass section in a college lecture hall (not live) - I have 2 condenser mics and 5 dynamic. I was thinking of using the condensers on the strings but was wondering if an xy pair or spaced pair would be best. would the dynamics be ok on the brass instruments. D
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

hard to say without knowing what the room and stage look like, but x/y is a good safe arrangement. spaced pair could potentially result in a very 'imbalanced' sound if you're too close, especially given that brass is so much louder than strings.

I'd set up a good distance back if the room allows and try to capture the whole with a stereo pair of condensers. you really shouldn't need dynamic spot mics on the brass.

FWIW, i often prefer a setup like ORTF or NOS stereo pairs; i feel they give a wider stereo image while still sounding cohesive.
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

I'll add my to audiogeek's near-coincident suggestion. I loooove ORTF.
Old 19th October 2009
Gear Head

Try both and choose the one you like more?
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Are the 4tet and the brass playing on the same piece? (seems like an odd instrumentation) If so, positioning the musicians on the stage will be the key to your success. College brass players will most likely overwhelm the strings, unless they are very well trained.

Condensor ORTF should be nice for both groups, individually or combined. Walk up and down the center during rehearsal to find the sweet spot.

I'd leave the dynamics at home.

Too bad you don't have another pair of Omni mics for wides. But a well-placed pair can be all you need.

Post the results!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search