The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best quality cheap consol to monitor 2" playback only
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Nut

Surely as engineers we can be a little more efficient with regards time and resource management.........

Jules, I have an angle grinder, as well as the obligatory circular saw, and jigsaw (powered cutting device, NOT puzzle variety)

That should get it done in a couple of minutes, I'll have the left side, you have the right side, and then we can spend the remaining time you would have otherwise alloted getting pissed and laughing uncontrollably....
Of course, the current owner might need a little help from the old Nitrous Oxide injector to see the funny side of it......heh

PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEEEE can I ?????????

AWWWWW GO OOOOONNNNN Uncle hans, can't we cut your beautful toy up???

Max
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Ok Jules...I dont know what 'looks' have to do with the Ghost being unacceptable but each to his own...As we speak of this my local per-fesh-anal sound brokers happen to have a mint clean and shiny Allen and Heath GS3 in their consignment department...it says $1595 us on it and they know how to ship...it is a nice sounding board and for what yer lookin for its the catsass...this one is a 24X8 and has the midi controller in it...its still a GS3....
Old 14th May 2003
One with big hooves

Either a 32x8 Ghost or a new A&H GL2200. The GL2200 is a live board but has 6 sends, 4 busses, a decent center section with an oscillator, phase reverse on each channel and a workable 4 band EQ with sweepable mids. The 24 input version is about $2K in the states, probably a bit cheaper over there. Plus it's new, it's small, built in power supply and can be moved by one person. Plus it'll have a warrenty.

No matter what you should get a 32 input desk. Someone at some point will end up doing a mix on the board if it's around to be used. Personally, I hate working with 24 tracks and only 24 faders. There are some studios I won't book for that reason. I need extra channels, even if it's just to patch a click track and the talkback mics into.
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Crest XR series?
Old 14th May 2003
Han
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by max the mac

PLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEEEE can I ?????????

AWWWWW GO OOOOONNNNN Uncle hans, can't we cut your beautful toy up???

Max
Go right ahead Max, it's not my toy

I have one of these and you can see you don't need any saw to get it into two pieces.

Old 14th May 2003
Gear Nut

Fairy nuff han

Although..........

One another note.... A GS3000 would be handy, having two banks of faders (monitor AND channel have own faders, one long one short, switchable in terms of singal path) , valve stages, lovely eq, MMC and midi muting.... mute groups etc...... and a nice open clean sound....
Makes a Ghost look like a toy.....
and only for similar money....
Although, finding a 24 for sale (the 32 is NOT even remotely one man moveable) would be harder than finding gold plated rocking horse shit.

I still reckon a 24:8 GS3 is the best bet, and there's one for sale, albeit in the states......... (still Rocking Horse droppings, but minus the gold plate requirement.)

But $1595 US +shipping seems a little steep, although, given the scarcity, it is a sellers market i suppose.....

What about the Tascam M2524 type thing?? Or A Topaz??? theyre nice enough desks (still think the Gs3 is better though) and usually easy enough to find on the UK second hand market.....
Have you tried asking Tim at http://www.studiosys.demon.co.uk/ ???

Best regards
Max

Attached Thumbnails
Best quality cheap consol to monitor 2" playback only-gs3000_1.jpg  
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

Veering slightly off topic here but...Han, it looks like you've got an AMR44?
I've got a gig at the end of July where I'll be flying into the band's home town to track basics. The local studio has an AMR24, a Control|24, and a PTHD3 system. The only outboard pres are some Midas XL42s... how's the DDA going to do for cutting basics on? It's a straight ahead rock and roll trio, and I'll be flying back to my place with the PT session on a firewire drive with the guitarist/ singer in tow. Kind of a track n' go session, so I guess it is somewhat on topic...
Old 14th May 2003
Han
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by subspace
Veering slightly off topic here but...Han, it looks like you've got an AMR44?
I've got a gig at the end of July where I'll be flying into the band's home town to track basics. The local studio has an AMR24, a Control|24, and a PTHD3 system. The only outboard pres are some Midas XL42s... how's the DDA going to do for cutting basics on? It's a straight ahead rock and roll trio, and I'll be flying back to my place with the PT session on a firewire drive with the guitarist/ singer in tow. Kind of a track n' go session, so I guess it is somewhat on topic...
The AMR's pre's are quite good. I've compared them with a couple of tube pre's, but they didn't sound any better. The EQ is great, four sweeps. The mid sweeps both switchable to a Q of 0.8 or 1.5 and the low and high sweeps between a Q of 1.5 and shelving.

Hi pass filters from 40 to 500 hz (be sure to use them).

I think you'll like the board.

Peace, Han
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

chrisso is right..the Midas Venice...with enough inputs to dualpath both the 2" and Pro tools....youll soon be in the land of analog summing...and may return to the land of high quality audio if you're not careful..&...as you know.. the pro-controls analog monitoring is its worst 'feature'.
Old 14th May 2003
what about the Speck xtra mix ?
Old 17th May 2003
Gear Nut

Jules..... Just thought you'd like to know!!!

I was mooching around in the S.O.S readers ads.......
and
saw these two beauties....

Allen & Heath GS3000_ 32/8. 2 built in patchable VALVE Pre amps! immaculate condition.Very rare desk..Very reluctant sale!!Pleaze no timewasterzP/X for DB8..N/O.
£2,995_ Phone 07961 551438 (Reading, Berkshire) 14/05/03

Allen & Heath GS3V_ Superb 24/24/8/2 desk. VCA auto/MTC/midi muting,mix recording. British E.Q. Lovely sound/condition. New £5,000. Manuals etc.£O.N.O.
£1,400_ Phone 07973386784 (London) 15/05/03

Gives you the opportunity to see and hear why I'm a fan.

(unfortuantely, this month is a little tight after everything else I've bought.....Or I'd be after one or t'other myself)

Regards
max
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Jules..... Just thought you'd like to know!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by max the mac
I was mooching around in the S.O.S readers ads.......
and
saw these two beauties....

Allen & Heath GS3000_ 32/8. 2 built in patchable VALVE Pre amps! immaculate condition.Very rare desk..Very reluctant sale!!Pleaze no timewasterzP/X for DB8..N/O.
£2,995_ Phone 07961 551438 (Reading, Berkshire) 14/05/03

Allen & Heath GS3V_ Superb 24/24/8/2 desk. VCA auto/MTC/midi muting,mix recording. British E.Q. Lovely sound/condition. New £5,000. Manuals etc.£O.N.O.
£1,400_ Phone 07973386784 (London) 15/05/03

Gives you the opportunity to see and hear why I'm a fan.

(unfortuantely, this month is a little tight after everything else I've bought.....Or I'd be after one or t'other myself)

Regards
max
Both of these are too much money!!

You can get a secondhand GS3 for about £650. The V version I believe is VCA automated, so I would give that a miss straight away. Built in patchable valve pre-amps will be a gimmick too. I hate it when people put a valve in a piece of equipment and everybody goes Ga Ga for it. Good valve products are few and far between, proven by the amount of crap valve gear around at the moment.

Regards

Roland
Old 18th May 2003
Gear Nut

Roland I Sort of agree with some reservations as follows.

The average market price of a GS3 SIXTEEN/8 is around the 5/600 mark.
this is a 24 and rarer than rocking horse shit.
The VCA doesnt sound QUITE as open as the non VCA, but is still very respectable....

I agree its over priced....
I'd be willing to offer them a grand for it.

The GS3000 valve stages may or may not be a gimmick, but one thing they are NOT is crap.
They are actually very useable, in a host of scenarios.
Allen and heath, have never made a shit sounding Desk (relative to era and market level).
Obviously some of the really old ones are handicapped by age and technology , but even a system 8 has its charm.... I wouldnt buy one.... but it wouldnt make me want to retch....
i HAve seen GS3000's for under 2K in a 32 format , but most seem to go between 2.5k and 3k.
If this one is the desk i THINK it is (he's an SOS forum member i think...) then it's very clean and in mint coindition. with the meter bridge and box..... Not an unreasonable price, especially relative to new price on Ghost .

I would still haggle, and see how close to 2 K I could get....
Jules isnt an idiot either......
I suspect he knows the relative values ,of such thinghs....

after all we are all gear slutz here.....

Best regards.
max
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

Chalk up another one for the GS3000.... I have a 32X8 that I spruced up (or would that be 'oaked up'?) with oak side panels, doghouse and overbridge. Scoop one up if you can find it-
I use mine with Nuendo, MOTU 2408Mk3 and 24I/O interfaces for 32 channels of 96K ins and outs and usually mix through the GS3K to my Otari MTR12II two track half inch.
Old 19th May 2003
Lives for gear

I use all outboard pres for tracking but I have a Mackie 24/8 Bus that I use solely for monitoring while recording. It works fine for that, plus they're pretty damn inexpensive nowadays.
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Monitor Mixer

Hey Jules!
What can I say? Out of my experience, working with quite a few 'budget' desks and my current one, is has to be the Soundcraft Ghost. You'll never look back! It is extremely compact (still need two people to move a 32/8/2) but everything is entirely usable - even the EQ's, which I wouldn't say abou the Mackie, any Studiomaster, Soundcraft 200, 600 or Spirit series...
Well, the A&H's I do not really know, but I think you are looking for something really compact and moveable. Don't know your problem with the looks or layout - have a second look (and listen - it's seriously quiet!), it's really straight forward, and you have options like tape return trimms on pots etc., it's such a well thoughtout console - wish they made it double the size though!!
You should be able to pick a 32 channel version with muteautomation and mmc (you never know, you might like the board...) for about £ 2000,-. Good luck!
Robert
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Nut

Hey De Chrom.......

Dribble dribble, slobber slobber, LUST LUST........

ME WANT Wood stuff like your on GS3K.........

AAAAARRRRRROOOOOOOOOGAAAAAAA

Very nice mate.......

Fan bloody tastic even........
DIY or some very nice cabinet maker?????

Best regards
Max
VERY VERY JEALOUS
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

Jules

If you really want to do this on the cheap, check out a Soundcraft Delta. FJ usually have a few around, starting from around 399 UKP for the 16 channel versions. A class above Mackie etc. IMHO.

Peter
Old 20th May 2003
Lives for gear

I think the A&H desk are sounding astonishing good (for what they go for) but if you can score an older soundcraft Venue or even Delta as Peter said before go for it.
But remember they are live desks ...

Jo
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

The Spirit is the precursor to the ghost and the cards are somewhat similar. The problem with the pre's is the powersupply (it's not robust enough) and it makes the pre's sound like shite. Once you get a good powersupply, it's a much better board.
You could mod the existing supply with 10,00uf filter caps, 2.7k resistor on the voltage regulator, and 35 amp rectifiers. That will do the trick for the stock chips and it will stop the buzz in the supply to dead quiet.

In this era, it's time for a chip upgrade that will prompt a cap upgrade on spirits and that will require a bigger power supply.
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

Hey Memphi,

you had dug fairly deep for this thread (the last posting is dated 2003) heh

Anyway, thanks for the info. Reminds me of the psu which I wanted to mod
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

I finally got my registration to the forum to work. I had a kid get sick and it's taken a while to get my bearings about life again. I've had a studio in crates since he got sick.
This year I began upgrading all my mics, DIY style, when a power surge took out my laptop and desk.
The closest authorized repair place was Creation Audio Lab in Nashville, they said they don't use the old chips and my sub/master section was already cooked along with 8 channels or more so when they repaired it they had to repair everything that they would mod, so, for the same money, they did.

I used the search function. to find out what was entailed because I was going to do the work myself once I could afford all the parts, approximately $1500 parts. + new power-supply = $1200 for a total of $2700. It cost me double that in total but I would rather they did it than me, they can turn one around in a matter of days once a slot is open. They told me I'd be impressed. UNDERSTATEMENT.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear