The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure SM7B - Vocals - Pres that work best?
Old 11th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

again, the great river pre's and sm7b's are pretty amazing together.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peat View Post
did two sessions using SM7b - JLM dual 99v - EL-8 - Arsenal audio R-24.

great detailed, thick deep tight sound
That's about every audio adjective you can possibly use, right there. Haha.
Lives for gear

I found that a cheap mic pre works better. I use my m-audio firewire 1814 pre instead of my api pre in my 8mx2. I shocked me to find out that an Sm7 is an enhanced version of the sm57. and they have the same loading characteristics too, (same capsule diaphram, different body and transformer).

so if the pre sounds great with the 57 it will sound great with an sm7.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
I found that a cheap mic pre works better. I use my m-audio firewire 1814 pre instead of my api pre in my 8mx2. I shocked me to find out that an Sm7 is an enhanced version of the sm57. and they have the same loading characteristics too, (same capsule diaphram, different body and transformer).

so if the pre sounds great with the 57 it will sound great with an sm7.
For me, it depends on what I'm recording. For vocal, a more open mic pre sounds better. That might be why you like your m audio pre, since it's more neutral sounding. My open sounding mic pre of choice is my Five Fish. I actually prefer my MOTU 828's preamp with my SM7 on my voice over the MA5, so I'm in the same boat as you.

For guitar and drums, I love the color of the Mono Gama, MA5, and Germanium with the SM7 for the thickness. I just don't like that thickness on my voice.

I'm sure there are some thin little voices in the world that would sound great with the SM7b and something like the MA5, to fatten them up. I just haven't found one yet.
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Anyone tried the SM7b with a STT-Origin or 9098?
Gear Maniac

I'm getting good results with a Vintech X73i to a SM7B. It requires virtually all of the gain available. Is this also true with the Great River and other input and ouput transformer driven preamps? In other words, would a pre like an ISA 428 lack the necessary gain?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewgrass View Post
I'm getting good results with a Vintech X73i to a SM7B. It requires virtually all of the gain available. Is this also true with the Great River and other input and ouput transformer driven preamps? In other words, would a pre like an ISA 428 lack the necessary gain?
My Shadow Hills Mono Gama also requires all the gain available, making it very noisy for very soft voices. The mono game isn't input/output, it's a single gain stage.

My Five Fish is in/out, and it is able to work with the SM7b at a more reasonable level. Normally the input around 60-80% and the output around 50-70%.

I think slightly cleaner preamps with the input and output stages are the way to go. That's why the Five Fish, for me, shines. It's cheap too!
📝 Reply