The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
making my guitar sound good in post?
Old 6th October 2009
Here for the gear

making my guitar sound good in post?

Once again i know there are some post addressing this but i have some more specific questions.

Im about to start a project which will include a heavily distorted guitar playing pretty much just dischords and everything is very chromatic. We have no bass so i want my guitar as low as i can get it.

What are some suggestions for how i can make my guitar sound super heavy but not really lose highs?
Old 6th October 2009
Gear Addict

most modern recordings have very little low end in the guitars. Usually the guitars are multiple tracks of identical guitar passes with less distortion on each in order to add harmonics and character. Sometimes even getting a clean track and mixing it in with the distorted tracks can add clarity.

The bass is usually augmented with harmonics and/or sine waves to "fill in" the low end so that everything sounds good together.

Since you have no bass, I would guess using a tube saturation plug might be your friend after you track. The other choice would be to use a multiband compressor and adjust each band to taste. This can work MUCH better than lots of EQ.

Re-amping might work too after the fact, make sure you get a clean DI track for this.

Use different mics and blend.

Use parallel compression sometimes but generally distorted guitars are compressed enough that you can't really change anything with compression either.

EDIT:

ALSO make the guitarist use a HEAVY set of strings. You can detune them or not but heavy strings sound thicker and bigger even tuned to the same notes. Generally I prefer 13 size or bigger which can also detune more without going floppy sounding.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search