The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1176 vs 1178
Old 15th September 2005
Gear Head

1176 vs 1178

could anybody tell me it the 1178 I have is just a stereo 1176 or if
it`s a different kind of sound? I use the 1178 on vocals and drums and I was wondering if there is somebody who has both of them and compared them...???

cheers

luke
Old 15th September 2005
GMR
Lives for gear

From info I read in the past, I always heard they did not sound entirely the same, some differences! But haven't compared myself!
Old 15th September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas
could anybody tell me it the 1178 I have is just a stereo 1176 or if
it`s a different kind of sound? I use the 1178 on vocals and drums and I was wondering if there is somebody who has both of them and compared them...???

cheers

luke

Totally different sound.

The old different horses for different courses thing.
Old 15th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Totally different sound.

The old different horses for different courses thing.
Totally different? Isn't the signal chain the same as one of the 1176 revisions?
Gear Addict

taken from www.uaaudio.com

While a stereo capable 1176 is a fantastic idea, the 1178 had some shortcomings. The 1178 came out about the same time as the “Revision H” era of the 1176. This is the generation when the 1176 went back to a silver faceplate. Unfortunately this era did not see the Class A circuitry of its ancestors, and the input transformer had been replaced with a differential amplifier. These design changes apply to the 1178 as well.

Also, the 1178 has only one set of attack and release controls and only one ratio select. The unit has a STEREO / MONO switch, and therefore can operate in dual mono, but without independent controls for attack, release and ratio, you’re really only de-coupling the attack and release. The 1178 is really only practical as a stereo unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Totally different? Isn't the signal chain the same as one of the 1176 revisions?
You are thinking about the silver 1176's.

And i had then side by side and they still sound different when in use.

The 1178 is used alot on overheads to give them a little life without having to EQ.

Once in a while on a drumsub.
Lives for gear

I'd have to say that while not "exactly" the same, the sound is still pretty much the same as an 1176 (though, yes they all differ slightly from rev to rev), though I don't remember the all buttons in working on the last one I used.
Lives for gear

I love my 1178 and my two 1176, they are my alround working horses, they sound as different as they sound close, in comparison to other brands. The 1178 has a differential amp at the input, where a bluestripe or blackface has a tranny. To me the 1178 sounds a tad thinner in the lowend and I feel also that my 1178 is a little slower than the 1176s. In the highend all revisions sounds (a very little) different anyway. So... is one better than another? IMHO if you can't get a decent result with either you won't get it with none.

Andreas
Lives for gear

The 1178 behaves similarly in terms of compression slopes, etc, but it's a very different audio circuit that an 1176 and therefore doesn't have that transformery 1176 sound. Can be a great device in it's own right, I have one that was modded by Jim Williams (Audio Upgrades) and I love it, it's more transparent & less colored than an 1176, kind of open & warm sounding. Great for room mics & overheads, acoustic guitars, etc.
Old 16th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Guru

I had a 1176 (silverface) and a for a short time an 1178. I didn't really use the 1178 much before I resold it, too much money to tied up in it. (Close to 2500 at the time)

One thing cool on the 1176 I found, if you disconnect one of the leads on the input (I think it was the neutral) much of the bass disappears and it makes for a really great vocal effect, really in your face. So much so that I had a switch wired on there and used it that way a lot. At the time I had the Sony C37 (valve) microphone so it was really out there! Anyone ever do this?
Old 16th September 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I have one. IMHO I think it have 1176 character Very good machine indeed.
Old 21st September 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

thx a lot for all those opinions! very interesting...
More cowbell!

From an interview ith Bob Clearmountain:

Quote:

"I don't have [UREI] 1176's but I do have 1178's, which are virtually the same except for the fact that they're stereo units. I also like the LA3A very much, which is a completely different sound from the 1178. To me, the LA3A is a lot more transparent on a vocal, so you're not as aware of the compression. With the (sic)1178 you hear the compression. It's more of an effect, and I like that for drums."

(http://www.eqmag.com/0601/feature_ClrMtn_107.html)
Lives for gear

Yea I've used 1178's on drum OH's they work
Gear Maniac
while the 1176s are all discrete units (using "real" single transistors) the 1178 are IC opamp based. the gainreduction principle (FET transisor) is the same.
don´t know what this means soundwise in this case (never compared a 1178 to 76)...just wanted to contribute a little technical background, but a 1178 wont have the coloration of a 1176 rev. A-E ... that´s for sure

steffen
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpub
From an interview ith Bob Clearmountain:
This is the proof you can be a good mixer and don't have a clue about the gear you use.

The 1178 is not a stereo 1176 by any stretch of imagination
Lives for gear

I love that you can get 1178's for 1K! And the 4 button "trick" certainly works on the ones I have. I sometimes set it up on a drum mult at 8:1, med attack, fastest release possible and it's a sound thats impossible to get with distressors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornson
I love that you can get 1178's for 1K! .
Where?

Please PM me.

I am looking for one.
Lives for gear

I bought a pair for $1200 last year. Bought another one for $1000 that had been retired in favor of a valley rack. The deals are out there!
Although it seems like that won't last long.
I'll keep an eye out.
Lives for gear

Dammit, 1178's for $1k? I'll take two...

O.K., now I can ask again -- how does the rev. g 1176 sound (op amp) vs. rev. f and before (xformer)? Also, on its own -- is it great, or is it a (no pun intended) step down from the earlier 1176's?
Old 22nd September 2005 | Show parent
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lurk
This is the proof you can be a good mixer and don't have a clue about the gear you use.

The 1178 is not a stereo 1176 by any stretch of imagination
Yeah, I was just tossing it up there cuz I remembered reading it, I wasn't standing by his comments at all, lol.
Gear Maniac

I think.... 1178 can't do 4 buttton trick. Isn't it?
Lives for gear

I do the 4 button trick with a 1178 all the time - it works but prolly sounds a bit different from the 1176 as does the whole thing. heh

Jo
Lives for gear

on what instrument do you use the 1178 with the 4 bottom trick?
Lives for gear

Drum subgroup - sounds great - pumping away
Old 29th January 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

O.K., now I can ask again -- how does the rev. g 1176 sound (op amp) vs. rev. f and before (xformer)? Also, on its own -- is it great, or is it a (no pun intended) step down from the earlier 1176's?

How does rev f compare to rev d and e?

thanks,

Woods
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods

How does rev f compare to rev d and e?

thanks,

Woods
fletcher gave us a nice commentary on the differences of 1176's and other Urei comps here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost....76&postcount=2
Lives for gear

the 1178 works great for voiceover BTW, i like the 1176 a bit less so in that aplication.
Old 26th April 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1178 on vocals..."That" mojo?

Everyone seems to love the 1176 on vocals, many times I group BG vox as a stereo pair, how would the 1178 fair to get 'that" vocal sound?

It seems that every revision is different enough that the 1178 is no greater or less than any particular revision or vintage unit to vintage unit for that matter...

Is there anything I'm missing?

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 26th April 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

my 1178 looks different to other ones ive seen, it doesnt have the black lines round the front panel and it has a black urei logo silk screened on the front like the black face 1176's (except their logo is white).most 1178's have a protruding blue logo/

i suspect there maybe different revisions of the 1178. anyone come across this yet??

mine sounds so good............
📝 Reply