The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best way to clock my system?
Old 11th May 2003
Here for the gear

Best way to clock my system?

Hi guys. I currently asked some questions on how to set up the Hedd, and I have since been up and running smooothly. (That thing is truely amazing!) But here is my new question. What is the best way to clock my system. I have one 888/24 interface, The Hedd and a Rossetta. If I'm only tracking on two channels, I'll exclusively use the hedd for a/d. If I need more channels I'll use the Hedd in conjunction with the Rossetta. I also use the hedd as a digital insert at mixdown. (This has made my mixes sound a million times better!)

Anyway, how do I clock?
Should a get an aardsync?
Is there a big difference if I use the internal 888/24 clock with a hedd as an a/d (opposed to getting a stand a lone clock)?
Any opinions?
Thanks a Hedd of time.
Oliver Hart
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

have you done comparisons using the hedd or rosetta as the master clock? I am not sure without listening what the hedd and rosetta have over one another in clocking, but I would gaurentee that either unit will have a better clock than the 888.

you may already own your solution!

IIRC, the rosetta does not have a WC input, so i guess you would be sending clock to the 888 via AES and then out of the 888 to the HEDD via WC cable..
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith

IIRC, the rosetta does not have a WC input, so i guess you would be sending clock to the 888 via AES and then out of the 888 to the HEDD via WC cable..
well, i am agreeing here. the rosetta doesn't have a wc input, so you dont' really have a question here. if it's being used, it has to be the system clock. otherwise use the HEDD. i also agree that either of these is a better clock than the 888, and you should be clocking at the ad converter anyhow.
Old 11th May 2003
Here for the gear

Okay. Heres the thing. When I have the 888/24 set to digital and I have the hedd plugged in to 1-2 aes/ebu my system goes crazy. And I start getting DAE errors. It doesn't do this if a have the 888/24 set to internal (even though I'm using the hedd as a converter)Do I need to use a dedicated word clock cable? Because when I used the apogee this way as converter and clock through aes/ebu 1-2 I didn't have a problem. Or is my hedd broken?

Thanks again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search