The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choosing the right Board for my new studio Summing Mixers
Old 1st October 2009
Here for the gear

Choosing the right Board for my new studio

Hi everyone i'm new around here
first post so i hope i'm in the right section......

First of all a little introduction:
my name is Nicolas
I live in Geneva switzerland
been doing recordings and **** for 5 years now

Here it is:

I'm ready to build my own studio and my main concern is the board !!!!!
So far i've been thinking of two (well three) solutions

1. Sticking with a control 24, and adding some API (or ssl) lunchbox pre/COMP/eq (wich mean decent AD converters: lynk or the like ) to have a nice analog flavor prior to PT

2. Getting a decent analog Board. I was thinking about a toft or Oram desk

3. no board at all just nice analog stuff (lunchbox and comp) straight into PT

i got something between 2000$ and 4000$ for the board

Actual Back line:

My rig is based around a PT HD2 sytem (mac pro)
I already own a distresor (a second one will follow soon) and a RMS stereo bus comp
Got some decent mics (OKTAVA mod, sm 57, md 421, C4000 the usual suspects)
Alesis and KRK nearfield (saving for a pair of Bearfoot mm 27)

I've been working on a Control 24 for 2 years now and i really like the work flow i develop on it but i'm really curious about tracking and mixing trough an analog board and since i've never mix an entire project on it i don't know if i need a 16 or 24 channels (most of the time i end up using 50-60 tracks in PT but comping is a solution)

I'm mostly doing rock/metal stuff.... i'd like to be able to "print" tracks before PT as i often end up with the same type of sound

My main goal is to have some kind of a coherent studio. I don't need (or can't aford heh) something over the top as i mostly doing personal project and local band
My studio need to be efficient.... i mean it's not going to be a big pro studio But i like nice gear

so.... based around what i already own..... what you guy thing ????

Thanks

Nicolas

PS: sorry for the long (first) post
Old 1st October 2009
Gear Nut

I would recommend getting some great pres, EQ's and comps. Then get a small control surface (command 8 etc) for automation, then a dangerous 2 bus for summing.

-Jeff Braun
Old 1st October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Braun View Post
I would recommend getting some great pres, EQ's and comps. Then get a small control surface (command 8 etc) for automation, then a dangerous 2 bus for summing.

-Jeff Braun
I agree, a summing mixer seems the way to go for you. You already have the control 24 and like your hands on feel, a summing mixer will make it sound more like an analog mixer. One thing you wont have though is the convenience of the analog eqs on every channel. So far I find that digital eqs from plugins are acceptable where as the compression is way way better from analog hardware. I have the neve 8816 summing mixer which sounds better to me than my tascam m3500 32 chnl board. The tascam was 10k new, the neve is $3700. Maybe that will help put it in perspective.
Old 1st October 2009
Here for the gear

Hi guys thanks for the answer....Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
You already have the control 24 and like your hands on feel
i realize it was not clear in my original post BUT i have not any board so far... i use the Control 24 at the studio i'm working at the moment and since i need to get a board for my own studio i was wondering about switching to analog or sticking to the Control 24 and find a used one

BTW is there's any way to use the toft or the Oram as a control surface in PT ?

Thanks

Nicolas
Old 2nd October 2009
Here for the gear

I too am looking at getting a new desk. I have used the Control 24 before and like the fact that they have addressed the old issues of the Control 24 in the new C|24.

I love to mix analog because I find that digital mixing is slower for me in terms of sitting the vocal and lead. Also I find that my reverbs seem to sit nicer in analog mixes. So I am pondering over setting up a summing mixer. However I have noticed that the C|24 has a submixer....

Maybe you should have a go at this in work Seed. Have you only ever mixed digitally? I would advise getting your hands on even a cheap analog mixer for a few days to play around with...sure use the compressors and maybe EQs from PT etc. but have a bash at it. It shouldn't really make a difference in theory but it does well at least in my head anyway.

So here is my question.....

Is anyone using the Digidesign Control 24 or C|24 as a summing mixer? In fact does anyone ever use this feature?

I would imagine that it would be a pretty uninteresting summing mixer (my opinion is based upon ignorance and general analog snobbery so probably incorrect). However, I have had good results by summing through all sorts of mixers of various different prices. A head scratcher...unless someone would be kind enough to sum a mix on the Control 24...and compare it to the ITB mix. Maybe do the mix via summed stems and then route them to Out 1-2 to do the ITB mix as this would mean that the ease of settling track levels in a summing environment would be present.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search