The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rack Cooling Fans?
Old 28th September 2009
Gear Addict

Rack Cooling Fans?

I need help. I built a really nice desk with 12 units of rack space uptop. I have 11.5 units racked right now. I have no room to add a fan rackmount unit, because all of the space is currently taken up by other pieces.

My Lynx Aurora 16 heats up extremely fast and I am worried that it may eventually start frying the unit.

Can anyone suggest some types of methods to cool off the gear?? PLEASE

Also, the back of the desk where the units rack is open, but is fully closed on both sides. I have read a few of the other threads about rack cooling, but they seem to offer suggestions of rackmountable fans, which is not an options, or A/C units in the control room (which is not needed because it is only the desk that is hot).

Thanks,
Sean
Old 28th September 2009
Lives for gear

how about those little USB powered fans they sell at computer stores? I think they're pretty quiet, and they could be installed behind your rack gear somehow.

-Ben B
Old 28th September 2009
Gear Maniac

My friend sometimes bought 4 computer fans (70mm i think) and a controller for 4 fans.

All he needed to do was as power supply (12 and 4.5v, standard computer power) and a place to put it all.
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Addict

Mount a tripple fan unit at the top-back end of your rack.Heat rises so it will pull out your molten-lava air.You can mount some type of flat board to enclose most of the back side.Leave a generous opening at the bottom.Fans spin,pull in cool air from the bottom-outside, and exits at the top backside.
Old 29th September 2009
Gear Addict

Just for clarification, where can I find these 70mm fans, or these triple fans? Is there a website you can direct me to? I am not very savvy when it comes to computer type fans or mountable fans. Again I need the NON-RACKMOUNTABLE kind.

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

- Sean

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm looking through that site listed above and I found some circle wood mounts that seem to be of interest to me. I'm trying to contact the company.
Old 30th September 2009
Gear Addict

Go to Markertek.com for the fans---cost me about $45 for the tripple model.But they are rack mounted.
Old 1st November 2010
Here for the gear

The Best Cooling Solution

After finding my own need for rack cooling and then realizing the noise from the more common rack fans... www.rackfans.com created the silent rack fan. Now being sold worldwide from recording studios to NASA. High volume airflow with virtually silent operation.
From LED lighted fans with cool grills to professional temp controlled panels. Also the best single rack space fans on the market and all very affordable.

I'm a new member here but have been reading for some time.
Check out www.rackfans.com for your cooling needs.

Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Put rack rails on the rear of the rack as well as the front, and rackmount some rack fans on the back.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search