The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Know anything about the Neumann KM64?
Old 9th May 2003
Know anything about the Neumann KM64?

I know that the KM84 is a bit of a classic, but what about the KM64? It too is a small diaphragm mic and a newer model to the 85 I believe? Is it as good as the 84?

Cheers
Old 10th May 2003
Motown legend

The KM-64 was the Nuvistor (tube) predecessor to the KM-84. There was a pair in the music department at Michigan State during the mid 1960s that sounded wonderful.
Old 10th May 2003
Thanks Bob

The owner of the one I have my eye on can't test it (No PSU) and as he lives in another country it is a bit hard for me to try it!

How much do you think this mic is worth gambling on? I am currently out of work and very poor!! What would be a fair price?

Is this generally a sturdy mic?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Funk

The owner of the one I have my eye on can't test it (No PSU) and as he lives in another country it is a bit hard for me to try it!
Well, this sounds like a good way to get screwed..... I would be super nervous with the conditions you have outlined. do you have psu already? Do you know the seller personally? is it money that you are totally cool with potentially throwing away with nothing in return?
Old 10th May 2003
Hmmm...

Well Steve, none of the above!

I do have access to Neumann PSU's, but I don not know the seller and cannot afford to through the money away! I am looking at about £200, is this good? I have also been offered a pair of Neumann KM184's (black) for £320!! This seems like a steal, but I know they are not meant to be as good as the 84 and I assume the 64?
Old 10th May 2003
Lives for gear

They are definatly diffrent then the 84, I like the 84 better for alot of what I do, but I use my 184s all the time..

Dude, be really careful buying in these situations, you are more often than not gonna get ****ed if there are too many unknowns.
Old 11th May 2003
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Funk
The owner of the one I have my eye on can't test it (No PSU) [/B]
The PSU was unique to the 64. The one I saw used 5 pin XLR connecters. It may have also been a 2 channel power supply. I don't remember for sure, it's been 37 years and those were the only 64s I've ever seen other than a demo unit the factory rep in Detroit loaned me around 1964. As I recall the 64 was up about the same price as a U-67. It was never sold as a low priced alternative.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search