The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rick Rubin book...
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

Rick Rubin book...

So has anybody read the new Rick Rubin book? It's called Rick Rubin "In The Studio"......... Just started reading it and and I'm loving it!heh Personally I'm a huge fan of his work and although many people say he's overrated, I find his approach to making records very unintrusive to the artist. This book explains a lot of the techniques he uses in the studio to get the sounds he want's. He also goes into several hit albums he's produced. Very cool book guys!!
Old 24th September 2009
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

Yes sir that's the one
Old 24th September 2009
I should add that to the GS bookstore (coming on-line soon)

Lost of books here..

Books, DVDs and Gadgets - Books
Old 24th September 2009
Gear Addict

Ricks a badass. Just if you put him down for Beasties, Slayer and Jay Z he's badass, then the rest. Badass.
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

Very good book!
Old 24th September 2009
Gear Addict

Looks like a good deal at $12. What a history.
Amazon.com: Rick Rubin: In the Studio (9781550228755): Jake Brown: Books
Old 25th September 2009
Gear Addict

Book ordered
Thanks for the tip !
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

I read in a review that the book is a collection of excerpts from press interviews, is that the case. Still if so could an interesting read...
Old 25th September 2009
GSF
Gear Addict
Reminds me of a joke I heard: I hear Rick Rubin's writing an autobiography...he got an incredible deal from a major publisher, but the ghostwriter is having a hard time tracking down all of the engineers who did the recodings.
Old 25th September 2009
Gear Addict

Well RicK Rubin isn't barely about engineering nor mixing : he's a producer. He makes records HAPPEN.
I don't think he ever called himself an engineer.
Old 25th September 2009
Gear Nut

It is a collection of excerpts from interviews. There are a few nuggets in there, but on the whole it left me a bit meh... I preferred Bruce Swediens book on MJ, but I have to say I got more info out of "Behind the Glass 2".
Old 25th September 2009

exactly. He makes records happen.

But to say he's unintrusive wouldn't quite ring true
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I should add that to the GS bookstore (coming on-line soon)

Lost of books here..

Books, DVDs and Gadgets - Books
wow Jules, that's really cool. this will be very helpful, so I'll keep it on my radar!
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

Ordered the book!

I'm a huge fan of some of his work. Can't say that some is he's productions have been that good. Rick Rubin's Shakira sounded like anyone's Shakira. Good producer would have cutted RHCP Stadium Arcadium into a one cd. Like Antony Kiedis said: "If we say to him that we will record ten songs he says: Great!, if we say we will record thirty songs, he will say: Great!" :D
Old 25th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF View Post
Reminds me of a joke I heard: I hear Rick Rubin's writing an autobiography...he got an incredible deal from a major publisher, but the ghostwriter is having a hard time tracking down all of the engineers who did the recodings.
Ouch!
Old 27th September 2009
Lives for gear

I still think it's an awesome book!
Old 4th October 2009
Gear Addict

useless for me.
I had read almost any interview that's quoted in the book. No writing style whatsoever, no rare pictures.
Disappointed
Old 4th October 2009
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb RIOU View Post
useless for me.
I had read almost any interview that's quoted in the book. No writing style whatsoever, no rare pictures.
Disappointed
+1
I really dig Rubin's work, but I am about 40 pages into the book and really need to push myself going on. It is just a collection of interview excerpts which are put into some kind of a story by adding some lines that are not put in quotes... One of the worst books about the music business I have read so far. I am pretty clueless how anybody could write a book that boring about Rick Rubin's work .

PS: The Slayer-chapter is next, so maybe it's getting better from there , but I doubt that...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search