The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Point of diminishing returns (Speck vs. Focusrite)
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Nut

Point of diminishing returns (Speck vs. Focusrite)

So, my months-long battle with the question of which EQ to get has come down to this (this hour, anyway): a pair of ASC-Ts or a Focusrite Red 2.

I make various flavors of electronic music, mostly for the dance floor, using my E6400 Ultra extensively. I really need an EQ to sculpt sounds with for resampling, and these two seem to fit the bill pretty nicely: fully parametric, nice sound, shelving filters. I can't really go much above $2K, so my choices seem a bit limited...

So, I'm wondering what you guys think the Focusrite would give me that the Specks wouldn't. How drastically improved would one be over the other for my purposes? Would the Focusrite be twice as nice (seeing as it's twice as much)?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, I think I'll rent a Red 2 anyway, but I don't have access to any Specks at all, so a direct comparison in my studio isn't gonna happen :(
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

Thought about a CML expounder.. they are cool as well.
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Nut

That does look pretty nice. Damned hard to find a dealer, though.

In terms of other cool gear that is sometimes on my short list, I've considered the SPL Qure, which seems interesting also.

mdbeh - I think you're right. If I can hold off just a few weeks longer (control, control, control...), I'm going to try to arrange a trial with the Specks.

Still, any input from the forum is good
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Guru

For your purposes I believe the Speck will do very well for you.

I don't think the focusrite is neccessary.
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Nut

I sometimes feel the same way (when my gearlust doesn't get the better of me). My reasoning is that since my goal is necessarily not to reproduce recorded sounds with the highest fidelity, something like the focusrite won't really give me anything the Speck wouldn't.

Is that more or less your reasoning, or is is something different?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear