The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Zombies - Time of the season !!!
Old 11th September 2009
Gear Addict

The Zombies - Time of the season !!!

Today i stumbled upon a song called "Time of the season" from the band THE ZOMBIES, which is dated back to 1968.

I am still thrilled from the production and awesome sound, you immidiatley hear that this song was recorded at the Abbey Road studios.

This song is so catchy i have to listen to the song again and again. heh

Only wanted to share this, maybe someone else dig this song!
Old 11th September 2009
Lives for gear

Definately one of my all time favorite "oldies" bands.
Old 11th September 2009
Lives for gear

I noticed recently that the album that the song is from, Odyssey and Oracle, is ranked #80 on Rolling Stones "500 Greatest Albums"
Old 11th September 2009
JDM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicSlut666 View Post
Today i stumbled upon a song called "Time of the season" from the band THE ZOMBIES, which is dated back to 1968.

I am still thrilled from the production and awesome sound, you immidiatley hear that this song was recorded at the Abbey Road studios.

This song is so cachty i have to listen to the song again and again. heh

Only wanted to share this, maybe someone else dig this song!
"Odyssey and Oracle" is one of my favorite albums of all time. It starts off with the greatness that is "Care of Cell 44" and and doesn't stop said greatness. "A Rose for Emily" ... "Beechwood Park".... "This Will be Our Year".... etc... amazing! Classic album and IMO highly overlooked unfortunately.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
This song is so catchy i have to listen to the song again and again. heh...Only wanted to share this, maybe someone else dig this song!
Wow. How wonderful to hear this for the first time today! I mean this with no irony or sarcasm as is found on the Internet. I'm so happy for you!

Imagine. 1968 - you only have AM radio in your carr - maybe a 1960 VW Beatle, maybe a '57 Renault 4CV, maybe a
'62 Plymouth Valiant
. In between the noise, happy commercials and overly-loud disc jockeys with spring reverb and echo, the way a person heard this song most - was on that AM radio while driving to and from events with friends. And maybe it would inspire the urge to light up a special smoke. Burns impressionas of what music should be - and sound like - into your synapses that never let go and shape who you will become.

Now imagine hearing Neil Young's "Everbody Knows this is Nowhere" disc on the splendor of a nice tube Hi-Fi at your best friends house.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Great album by a great band! Geoff Emerick engineered this one very well, especially for the time.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Haha funny that somebody would stumble onto Time Of the Season. I remember it when it was current! Yes it has great production, amazing reverb and was quite a unique song when it was on top 40 radio.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

This one is ripe for a slick remake. Just an out-of-the-box, gorgeous song.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
"Odyssey and Oracle" is one of my favorite albums of all time.
+1!!!

Had the chance to see the Zombies perform a number of times over the last few years, and they did quite a few Odyssey numbers.

Colin's voice has seasoned astonishingly well and still has that same haunting timbre and delicateness...

You just heard "Time of the Season" for the first time? That's incredible - for decades the song has been over-used in TV and film as the default lazy way to invoke "The Sixties".

I'm envious! Been a long time since I stumbled onto something new that was as great as The Zombies!
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Head

They still got it...
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Head

For MicSlut666...
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Wow, you probably have a lot of other great music ahead of you to discover. Buy Odessey & Oracle immediately, then maybe "Begin Here", and some of Colin Blunstone's solo work, and then maybe every other great 60s pop band that you probably haven't heard if you haven't heard Time of the Season.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Finger View Post
You just heard "Time of the Season" for the first time? That's incredible - for decades the song has been over-used in TV and film as the default lazy way to invoke "The Sixties".
Maybe i have heard this song unknowingly in TV before. But 1968 was way before my time .

Must have been a great time back in the Sixties.

I could not imagine that some of our current music / TOP 100 stuff will obtain such a fascinating vibe after ~40 years!
Old 12th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
This one is ripe for a slick remake. Just an out-of-the-box, gorgeous song.
I dunno... what could you really improve?

I wouldn't want to have to be compared to that 40+ year old track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Wow. How wonderful to hear this for the first time today! I mean this with no irony or sarcasm as is found on the Internet. I'm so happy for you!

Imagine. 1968 - you only have AM radio in your carr - maybe a VW Beatle, maybe a Renault 4CV, maybe Plymouth Valiant. In between the noise, and happy commercials and trade-marked over-loud disc jockeys, the way a person heard this song most - was on that AM radio while driving to and from events with friends. And maybe it would inspire the urge to light up a special smoke. Burns impressionas of what music should be - and sound like - into your synapses that never let go and shape who you will become.

Now imagine hearing Neil Young's "Everbody Knows this is Nowhere" disc on the glory of a nice tube Hi-Fi at your best friends house.
Michael mentions hearing it on the AM radio back in the day -- and that's the way I always heard it back then. I always loved it but I was more into acid rock and hard electric blues...

Many years later, in the 80s, I think, I finally heard it over FM stereo (although still in the car) and I was utterly blown away by the sonic quality. Ditto their "She's Not There."

Speaking of left field remakes... LA postmodernist/hip hop producer Nobody (Elvin Estela) came up with a kinda cool version of "This Will Be Our Year" (sung by Paul Larson). allmusic ((( Pacific Drift: Western Water Music, Vol. 1 > Overview ))) But it's a long way from the Zombies.

PS... Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere -- that's precisely the way I often heard that album, although it was my roommate's (really nice) stereo. A few of us sitting around, candles, something in the air, often as not... not much talking but a lot of intent music listening -- and then people would talk about the album after it was off, my roomie and his pals were all musicians... (He's now a successful scoring engineer/mixer with a slug of IMDB and quite a few album credits as well, though we both got into recording separately years later. But I do have him to thank for getting me started on guitar... he'd let me play his beautiful Strat, telling me to rig it up so I could listen over headphones and he wouldn't have to hear me plunking arhythmically on my $18 torture box when I was first learning. If you're out there, Steve, thanks a million. Your patience and indulgence got me over that first, nastiest hump.)
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I dunno... what could you really improve?

I wouldn't want to have to be compared to that 40+ year old track.

Michael_Joly mentions hearing it on the AM radio back in the day -- and that's the way I always heard it back then. I always loved it but I was more into acid rock and hard electric blues...

Many years later, in the 80s, I think, I finally heard it over FM stereo (although still in the car) and I was utterly blown away by the sonic quality. Ditto their "She's Not There."

Speaking of left field remakes... LA postmodernist/hip hop producer Nobody (Elvin Estela) came up with a kinda cool version of "This Will Be Our Year" (sung by Paul Larson). allmusic ((( Pacific Drift: Western Water Music, Vol. 1 > Overview ))) But it's a long way from the Zombies.
Ever since I was a kid in the 60's, I always thought this song was extremely cool, and yet just a wee bit poorly executed in the chorus, kinda just barely hanging on. I know! Blasphemer! But I still think if you heard stronger voices like the Hollies or CSN cranking out that chorus, it would knock the top of your head off.

But we all know about remakes anyway...they're never better, they're just geared for a different generation...and the new kids usually prefer the new one.

As for me, I'll take the OLD War of the Worlds...

And now I'll just sit back and take my beating.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ditto their "She's Not There."
Also a forgotten classic ! Still remembering the unique Santana cover.

This song could make a slick remake these days i guess heh.
Old 12th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post

Imagine. 1968 - you only have AM radio in your carr - maybe a VW Beatle, maybe a Renault 4CV, maybe Plymouth Valiant. In between the noise, and happy commercials and trade-marked over-loud disc jockeys, the way a person heard this song most - was on that AM radio while driving to and from events with friends. And maybe it would inspire the urge to light up a special smoke. Burns impressionas of what music should be - and sound like - into your synapses that never let go and shape who you will become.

Now imagine hearing Neil Young's "Everbody Knows this is Nowhere" disc on the glory of a nice tube Hi-Fi at your best friends house.

that reminds me of an interview with brian wilson when he heard a beatles song and had to pull the car over because he was so amazed by what he heard ...
Old 12th September 2009
Quote:
Also a forgotten classic ! Still remembering the unique Santana cover.

This song could make a slick remake these days i guess heh.
I'm probably thinking like an old man who wants to hang on to things the way they were... heh

I've heard some really cool reinventions of old songs, though. I guess that's what I'd like... not a slavish remake -- it still would never be anywhere as good -- but a full on reinvention somehow... maybe a smokey, late night lounge version... some smolerging, sexy chanteuse. Or not. Just no bozo clone jobs... heh
Old 12th September 2009
Quote:
Ever since I was a kid in the 60's, I always thought this song was extremely cool, and yet just a wee bit poorly executed in the chorus, kinda just barely hanging on. I know! Blasphemer! But I still think if you heard stronger voices like the Hollies or CSN cranking out that chorus, it would knock the top of your head off.

But we all know about remakes anyway...they're never better, they're just geared for a different generation...and the new kids usually prefer the new one.

As for me, I'll take the OLD War of the Worlds...

And now I'll just sit back and take my beating.
I lost track... were you referring to "Time of the Season," "She's Not There," or "This Will Be Our Year"?

I have to admit that, never having owned the album, I'm a lot less familiar with "This Will Be Our Year" (and, in fact, when I heard it again on Nobody's Pacific Drift album, I was thinking it was a Beach Boys song)... you might be right... heck you might be right if you're talking about any of them... sometimes it's that little weakness about a song I fall in love with.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I lost track... were you referring to "Time of the Season," "She's Not There," or "This Will Be Our Year"?

I have to admit that, never having owned the album, I'm a lot less familiar with "This Will Be Our Year" (and, in fact, when I heard it again on Nobody's Pacific Drift album, I was thinking it was a Beach Boys song)... you might be right... heck you might be right if you're talking about any of them... sometimes it's that little weakness about a song I fall in love with.
I was thinking "Time of the Season"...but only barely so, and being at heart a big Zombies fan, I just feel dirty now.

I think it could be a hit again dressed in new clothes...but I'm sure I wouldn't really LIKE the hit.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Nut

In 1966 or 1967 (too long ago and can't remember for sure), The Zombies and the Searchers teamed-up to play a concert at "Spring Lake" a local theme park (long since gone) in Oklahoma City, OK. At the time, I was a drummer in a rock band and we attending as many concerts as we could afford to steal ideas to improve our amateur stage presence. The Zombies were memorable!

Just kids at the time, a couple of my band members decided to kill some time after the concert and play some minature golf. To our delight, a couple of the Zombies band members joined us and, needless to say, we had stories to tell for weeks. Just seems like yesterday.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Maniac

I love that song.
Old 12th September 2009
Quote:
I was thinking "Time of the Season"...but only barely so, and being at heart a big Zombies fan, I just feel dirty now.

I think it could be a hit again dressed in new clothes...but I'm sure I wouldn't really LIKE the hit.
Maybe if they brought back the Flying Lizards and they knocked it off in the fashion of their epochal "Money."

heh

(There... now don't you feel less dirty in comparison?)

I was a big fan in the early 70s of Zombies keyboardist Rod Argent's jazzy and sophisticated combo stuff.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappee View Post
There is a current song that uses the lick and steals quite a bit from "Time Of The Season" it's like a dance song that my daughter likes. She was playing it and I said "that's an old Zombies song".
The song is probably "She Loves Everybody" by Chester French:

Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Great band. I really need to get that album. I am reading Recording the Beatles right now and there are a number of references that album in the book. I always thought the lyrics "What's your name? Who's your daddy? Is he rich like me?" were some of the greatest lyrics of all time.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

At first I thought the OP was being funny about hearing this song for the first time. But then I realized... well, I guess there's a first time for everything.

I mean, this song is so incredibly famous and ubiquitous, it's remarkable to me that anyone can recall the first time hearing it? You know? It's always on the radio.

But, yes, it is a fantastic song and a great recording.

- c
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was a big fan in the early 70s of Zombies keyboardist Rod Argent's jazzy and sophisticated combo stuff.
Same here! In fact, I'm working on a cover of "Hold Your Head Up" with some internet pals for fun, and to submit to that OurStage monthly competition. Argent had a sound of their own too...Zombies gone progressive.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

---

Last edited by Benmrx; 12th September 2009 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: No need....
Old 12th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Finger View Post
The song is probably "She Loves Everybody" by Chester French:

I'd never run into that before. I don't have as much of a problem with them using that signature bit as the fact that it just feels glued onto the front of the song, like bolting a fake Rolls Royce grill onto a VW Beetle (as was a thankfully brief fad back in the 70s).

It's not that they knocked off another song's hook -- it's that they way they knocked it off disrespected a great song.

And that's not tribute. That's plunder.
Old 12th September 2009
Quote:
Same here! In fact, I'm working on a cover of "Hold Your Head Up" with some internet pals for fun, and to submit to that OurStage monthly competition. Argent had a sound of their own too...Zombies gone progressive.
One of my faves by them. The vocal harmonies on that seemed to anticipate (at least if I've got my timeline right) some of the aggressively adventurous harmonies from Gentle Giant.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search