Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   So Much Gear, So Little Time (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/)
-   -   Yamaha NS10m Studio monitors and Amplifier thread (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/421065-yamaha-ns10m-studio-monitors-amplifier-thread.html)

jcc449 21st February 2011 05:49 AM

About .34 inch, Any knows why is that?
Btw what amp is Dave using!?

manman 22nd February 2011 07:03 AM

With NS10 I recommend using Hi-end amps such as:
  • Bryston 4B old model, because it does not use op-amps
  • PassLab x250 amps because it's got low feedback loop and no op-amps

madmarkdj 22nd February 2011 07:45 AM

Using NS10M with a Chameleon 1100S amp... Awesome combo!
boing

old_skul 22nd February 2011 08:35 PM

Bryston 3B here, one of the older ones. I used to run an Alesis RA100, but the Bryston is far, far more truthful in the low mids and bottom.

I am also using these speakers with a Realistik (!) passive sub. I need to get rid of that old thing :)

NeumannCollecta 23rd February 2011 08:30 AM

Yamaha NS10m Studio monitors and Amplifier thread
 
Everybody says BRYSTON.... What is it about the way they are made that accounts for their superior performance over so many other amps????

Rick Sutton 23rd February 2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeumannCollecta (Post 6367088)
Everybody says BRYSTON.... What is it about the way they are made that accounts for their superior performance over so many other amps????

I really don't know what it is about a Bryston that makes them such a good match for the NS10's. I can tell you that after years of trying unsuccessfully to get an amp that worked with the NS10's and didn't regularly destroy tweeters the Bryston 2 LP was the end of my search. Finally the NS10's sounded right and have stayed in good shape for 10 years. Works for me.

As to the modest output of the 2LP, I only listen to the NS10's at a low to moderate volume. That is where I find they fit into my mixing routine.

NeumannCollecta 23rd February 2011 08:51 AM

Yamaha NS10m Studio monitors and Amplifier thread
 
I'd like to get a BRYSTON but the Hafler stuff is more in my price range at the moment. Ive heard good things about the Haflers but many people write about an annoying hum that either came with their Hafler, or a hum that developed with use. Is this typical for power amps to develop transformer hum???? The last thing I need in my control room is more hum.... Can someone explain where this "hum" comes from and why some amps have a greater tendency to develop more "audible loud/annoying" hum over others????

Pastor Obviedo 23rd February 2011 10:57 AM

What catch my attention is that Mr. Clearmountain, the pioneer of the NS10 (and modern mixing technique btw), use Yamaha powers to feed his NS10. Why he didn't choose Bryston?

Bob, if you are reading this, please enlighten us.

PO

jcc449 26th February 2011 01:02 PM

"yamaha " ns10m was originally designed for "yamaha" p2200 when it first came out. It was not target on Bryston at the time.
But Bryston is a good amp manufacture and their amps makes most of speakers sound good.
For sure yamaha is not going to design a speaker that target on a third party amp.
This question why not Bryston also sounds like " why didn't bob use ADAM s2a instead ns10m

Traintrack 26th February 2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekis (Post 6355699)
Bryston 2B here...

Same here

MixShmix 5th March 2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo (Post 6367370)
What catch my attention is that Mr. Clearmountain, the pioneer of the NS10 (and modern mixing technique btw), use Yamaha powers to feed his NS10. Why he didn't choose Bryston?

Bob, if you are reading this, please enlighten us.

PO

I tried a Bryston (which is an excellent amp, BTW) but the dreaded NS-10's sounded a bit better with the Yamahas, or at least what I expected them to sound like.

BC

mac black 5th March 2011 05:57 PM

http://www.dogproductshop.co.uk/smil...racter0074.gif

ManSoundica 2nd April 2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fossaree (Post 6039513)
I've been using RA 150 without any complain ...

Same here, brand new Alesis RA-150. However, I'm just wondering if you have any tip regarding the 'best' main level output from RA-150 to drive NS-10M Studio?

Some logic, and tests I have done, tells me that it is clever to avoid having RA-150 as its maximum output settings. Just to avoid noise. Idealistic would be to have its source signal to unity gain all the time, and then just adjust RA-150 output controls to 1/4 of maximum.

But maybe some frequencies needs more 'power' from RA-150 to be heard 'correctly' through NS-10M Studio?

I would really appreciate any answer.

Cheers.

HudHudson 2nd April 2011 02:53 PM

We just installed my Hafler 9505 in our new mix room to power the NS-10s and the difference in bass response was significant. Much tighter low end than with our old P1500.

ManSoundica 2nd April 2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HudHudson (Post 6497354)
We just installed my Hafler 9505 in our new mix room to power the NS-10s and the difference in bass response was significant. Much tighter low end than with our old P1500.

When you say 'bass response' related to NS-10M I'm wondering which frequencies do you mean?

HudHudson 2nd April 2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManSoundica (Post 6497789)
When you say 'bass response' related to NS-10M I'm wondering which frequencies do you mean?

The low ones. gooof

The bass response of an NS-10 tails off pretty quickly at 100 Hz, probably -6 db at 60 Hz. All I'm reporting is that what little low end we get out of the Yammies sounds tighter with the 9505 than it did with the P1500.

Pastor Obviedo 2nd April 2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixShmix (Post 6404935)
I tried a Bryston (which is an excellent amp, BTW) but the dreaded NS-10's sounded a bit better with the Yamahas, or at least what I expected them to sound like.

BC

Thanks Bob, we appreciate your input to this thread, at the end you have so much history behind the NS10, many people, included myself, started using them because of you.

You are the best.

PO.

Latinlover 2nd April 2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixShmix (Post 6404935)
I tried a Bryston (which is an excellent amp, BTW) but the dreaded NS-10's sounded a bit better with the Yamahas, or at least what I expected them to sound like.

BC

Wow! the man himself speaking of the NS10!

Bob, do you had a trick in the past (before the KRK's and Dynaudio's) to judge the low end on your NS10's?

i mean, mixes like the ones you made in the 80's always have a nice kick and bass punchy sound, how was your trick? I've read that some engineers look at the cones and then they know if they crossed the low end limit, other engineers like to touch the cones, what was your approach to this limit of the NS10?

thank you.

ManSoundica 2nd April 2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HudHudson (Post 6498140)
The low ones. gooof

The bass response of an NS-10 tails off pretty quickly at 100 Hz, probably -6 db at 60 Hz. All I'm reporting is that what little low end we get out of the Yammies sounds tighter with the 9505 than it did with the P1500.

Thanks!

fossaree 3rd April 2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManSoundica (Post 6497280)
Same here, brand new Alesis RA-150. However, I'm just wondering if you have any tip regarding the 'best' main level output from RA-150 to drive NS-10M Studio?

Some logic, and tests I have done, tells me that it is clever to avoid having RA-150 as its maximum output settings. Just to avoid noise. Idealistic would be to have its source signal to unity gain all the time, and then just adjust RA-150 output controls to 1/4 of maximum.

But maybe some frequencies needs more 'power' from RA-150 to be heard 'correctly' through NS-10M Studio?

I would really appreciate any answer.

Cheers.

As a matter of fact I've been using mine at its maximum level ! I mean both knobs totally right . That's because I use a Presonus central station - and only putting it at its maximum made me level match with my other pair of monitors , which are Dyanaudio's BM series .

Are you using your NS as your main monitor?

ManSoundica 3rd April 2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fossaree (Post 6499365)
As a matter of fact I've been using mine at its maximum level ! I mean both knobs totally right . That's because I use a Presonus central station - and only putting it at its maximum made me level match with my other pair of monitors , which are Dyanaudio's BM series .

Are you using your NS as your main monitor?

I'm using NS-10M with Presonus Monitor Station :) Yes, they are my main monitoring source, beside headphones.

I did an extensive calibration test according to Monitor Station manual and I found that it gives good result to have a speaker level on Presonus Monitor Station fully clockwise and its main level also (when possible or close to it). Then Alesis RA-150 will never 'break' the highest set maximum peak loudness level set with pink-noise test tone.

I have read the Alesis RA-150 manual in hope to find some tip on 'minimum' suggested load power. But maybe that is more question of having good signal from source instead.

In this way it is quite a logical to set it up so because you will then in best possible way benefit from the 'unity level' signal from your audio source connected to Presouns >> NS-10M.

fossaree 3rd April 2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManSoundica (Post 6499713)
I'm using NS-10M with Presonus Monitor Station :) Yes, they are my main monitoring source, beside headphones.

I did an extensive calibration test according to Monitor Station manual and I found that it gives good result to have a speaker level on Presonus Monitor Station fully clockwise and its main level also (when possible or close to it). Then Alesis RA-150 will never 'break' the highest set maximum peak loudness level set with pink-noise test tone.

I have read the Alesis RA-150 manual in hope to find some tip on 'minimum' suggested load power. But maybe that is more question of having good signal from source instead.

In this way it is quite a logical to set it up so because you will then in best possible way benefit from the 'unity level' signal from your audio source connected to Presouns >> NS-10M.

That's right !
I think if we were using other Alesis model like RA-500 , may be this would be different ...

Kaigen 3rd April 2011 07:34 PM

Bryston or Ice Module digital amp

twarrenl 13th April 2011 05:50 PM

Just made an upgrade from the Alesis ra100 to the Adcom GFA 555 II and its a world of a difference. Extended frequency response on highs and lows, an almost 'wider' image, and much, much more clarity all around. Night and day really.

Aeolian 13th April 2011 07:26 PM

Yamaha NS10m Studio monitors and Amplifier thread
 
The knobs on the front of an amplifier have nothing to do with how much power it has. The amplifier provides some certain amount of signal gain. Feed X signal level into it and that signal will be raised by the amps rated gain. Until you feed so much signal into it that it can't maintain, and clips. What the knobs do is reduce the level coming in. So to get the same output at a lower knob setting, you have to give it more input. You could turn the knobs down half way and feed it double the signal level and it will be the same as full blast.

What the knobs can do is help with the gain staging so that you are minimizing noise from upstream sources.

A good rule of thumb is to have twice the power in the amp that the speaker is rated for. This is because of the difference between the speakers ability to handle short term transients without overheating, and the amps ability to deliver them without clipping that would add up to more power than the speaker can handle. When an amp clips, it runs out of maximum voltage swing. Flattening the top off the waveform. But the area under the waveform becomes larger. Meaning that there is more power being delivered to the speaker that it has to dissipate as heat. Even though the voltage swing/cone displacement/spl isn't any greater.

Has anyone run NS10s with those NAD amps with the "soft clipping"?

G-Spot 13th April 2011 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Do you guys know the difference between the Yamaha P2200 (left pic) and the PC2002M (right pic)? All I know is that the PC2002M as a Mono bridge switch on the back, and the P2200 doesn´t.

RobertRyda 14th April 2011 08:46 PM

I own the NS10Ms for about a year now and at first was using it with Alesis RA150 amplifier which was kinda OK, giving me what I expected - no beauty, pure balance. Then one of my friends suggested I tried the Quad 405. It was louder than Alesis and really opened the top end of the speakers. They could sound better having a bigger potential - like if the music lacked the highs it would sound like through Alesis, but if it has a good level the highs would show up on the NS10Ms through the Quad 405! Nevertheless it was giving me like sort of a 'power' hum (almost like 'OMmmmm' :) ) which drove me crazy! So I picked up a Quad 306 which is smaller than Q405 and is less powerful too. To my opinion it sounded very similar to 405 model and suddenly I realized it almost glued into my Mackie HR824mk2 response with minimum interference. abduction
Does this mean that by using a Q306 instead of Q405 model I get a less powerful amp which endangers my tweeters and might cause them to break?
ablian

polbb 14th April 2011 09:15 PM

Hi there,

I have a pair of NS 10MS studio. The power amop is an ART SLA1....
I have heard so many times about bright sounding NS10s... Mine sound rather muddy. For example, I was mixing a tune recorded on tape, and I coudn't hear any hiss problem when mixing on my ns10s. Then I played the mix in other systems and the tape hiss was considerably loud!!!!!!

Same thing has happened with vocal esses.. They sound somehow fine in my NS10s, but very anoying in other systems !!!

What's could be wrong with my setup???? Please help !!!!

Cheers

jcc449 16th April 2011 08:25 AM

You will be surprised how Ns10m start to dancing on high frequency if you switch cables to those thick silver cables. The details s amazing and the stereo image extended even wider.

therealbigd 16th April 2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcc449 (Post 6548606)
You will be surprised how Ns10m start to dancing on high frequency if you switch cables to those thick silver cables. The details s amazing and the stereo image extended even wider.

If the stereo image is getting wider, that means the speakers are doing different things to the same material...