The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha NS10m Studio monitors and Amplifier thread
Old 14th November 2019
Here for the gear

Hi dear gearslutz users.

Of all three amps, Sansui AU-777, Accuphase C-200s and Luxman 38 amp, which one pairs well with the Yamaha NS10M monitor.

Thanks!
Old 14th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Isn't there like a nice amplifier that is working well around the price of 500 USD?

Sergio
For around $150 you can find a used Adcom GFA 545. Use the savings for speaker wire, I use Kimber 8TC.
Old 25th November 2019
Here for the gear

Hi everyone. First time poster. I have a pair of NS-10M Studios paired with a Crown D-75A that's frizzing out. Been reading up a lot lately. Thank you all for the perspective and experience. Unfortunately, my budget just can't handle anything above about $500.

I've been eyeing the Adcom GFA-545/MKII amps which seem to get get mentioned a bit on here, but does anyone object to the 555/MKII model? Has a bit more power.

My buddy has an old silver face Pioneer Spec 4 (or a Spec 2, can't remember) in storage that seems like an interesting experiment. Any info on those would be great. Thank you and cheers!

Silver Pioneer Stereo Collection
https://www.johnweeks.com/tour/pioneer/index.html

Last edited by smeltygrooves; 25th November 2019 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: web link
Old 25th November 2019
Here for the gear

@ Emmanuel 23 I'd be curious how your amps compare with offerings by Class D Audio: http://classdaudio.com/sds-440c-clas...amplifier.html I've read some good reviews with NS-10s on some other forums. Thank you for some great perspective earlier.
Old 25th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeltygrooves View Post
@ Emmanuel 23 I'd be curious how your amps compare with offerings by Class D Audio: http://classdaudio.com/sds-440c-clas...amplifier.html I've read some good reviews with NS-10s on some other forums. Thank you for some great perspective earlier.
Hi there Smeltygrooves

I have never heard of the modules they are using, so unfortunately I have no idea what these amps sound like. They do seem to fit your budget better than my amps so I guess that will be the determining factor here.

Cheers
Emanuel

Last edited by Emanuel23; 25th November 2019 at 03:13 PM..
Old 25th November 2019
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
For around $150 you can find a used Adcom GFA 545. Use the savings for speaker wire, I use Kimber 8TC.
i have had 2 Adcom 545s and both modded by Jim. It is a great amp for the NS10s.

That Kimber 8TC looks cool
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Happy New Year everyone!

I just purchased some NS-10 Studio Monitors (and a Yamaha P2200) to cross reference my mixes on, and I LOVE them, as well as understanding/hearing WHY they are so popular!

The NS10's are in excellent cosmetic and aural condition, and the only visual flaw is that the metal tweeter grilles were bent in/smashed a little, so being the anal person that I am, I decided to pull the grilles off and reshape them.

And I did a GREAT job of making them look flat and round again,

but.....................................................................................................

how do I put them back on safely?

I see that as soon as I put them over the tweeters, the magnetic pull of the tweeter keep them attached fairly well, but is there a safe way to re-seat them back into the grooves from whence they came (my apologies Gandalf )?

Jerry
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Jim, could you describe any audible difference (if any) between your modded 545 adcom and say a Bryston or the new cla-200 by avantone when used with NS10. I love your modded amp for my amphions and was just curious..
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrydpi View Post
Happy New Year everyone!

I just purchased some NS-10 Studio Monitors (and a Yamaha P2200) to cross reference my mixes on, and I LOVE them, as well as understanding/hearing WHY they are so popular!

The NS10's are in excellent cosmetic and aural condition, and the only visual flaw is that the metal tweeter grilles were bent in/smashed a little, so being the anal person that I am, I decided to pull the grilles off and reshape them.

And I did a GREAT job of making them look flat and round again,

but.....................................................................................................

I see that as soon as I put them over the tweeters, the magnetic pull of the tweeter keep them attached fairly well, but is there a safe way to re-seat them back into the grooves from whence they came (my apologies Gandalf )?

Jerry

Bump
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for Jesus

Quote:

Jerry
I have not been able to get them to fit after i remove them.
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Steve!

I've been able to get them partially re-seated (they stay on without falling off), so will that suffice?

Are the grilles only for protecting the tweeters, nothing more, nothing less (nothing to do with the sound)?

Where I'm going with this is that as long as I carefully removed/re-attached them, does removing the grille harm the tweeter, and if so, that means I'll have to buy new tweeters, if not, then GOOD
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for Jesus

As far as i know the wire covers are for protection only, you should be fine
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks for the Positive Thinking Steve, I sure needed it!!!!

Jerry
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

On to another question fellow NS-10m lovers!

Knowing what most of you have learned from using your NS-10m's with various amps, if you had to choose NOW between a:

1) Yamaha P2200.
2) Yamaha P2201.
3) Adcom 545.
4) Hafler P3000.
5) Hafler Pro 5000.

Between ONLY the ones listed, which would you go with now, and why?
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Jim!!

How do I contact you?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Tonight's Top News Story

Who was Jim Williams, and whatever happened to him?
Old 6th January 2020
Finding Jim isn't all that hard: http://www.audioupgrades.com

I had him do an Adcom 545 for me and it came out so nicely that another engineer who does a lot more mixing than I talked me out of it. I have a 555 sitting here that I intended to send in, but I've moved to active monitors and have also been gifted a McIntosh MC2255, which will bump my rebuilt MC2105 out of the living room and maybe into the control room for a second set of monitors. Or into my bass rig if my back is up to it, although I digress.
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

I asked because there doesn't appear to be a way to send him a PM

As you have both Adcom's, I have two questions:

1) Are both the stock 545 and 555 superior to the Yamaha 2200/2201?
2) For the NS-10's, would the 545 or 555 be better?

Also, how does the 545/555 compare to the Hafler Pro 5000?

Thanks for the link!

Jerry
Old 7th January 2020
Quote:
I asked because there doesn't appear to be a way to send him a PM

As you have both Adcom's, I have two questions:

1) Are both the stock 545 and 555 superior to the Yamaha 2200/2201?
2) For the NS-10's, would the 545 or 555 be better?

Also, how does the 545/555 compare to the Hafler Pro 5000?

Thanks for the link!

Jerry
I'm just speculating because I haven't had the Adcoms up against the other amps directly, but my guess is that they would be superior to the Yamahas and Hafler.

But, it may be splitting hairs at this point. They should all do well enough that they wouldn't be the bottleneck of what comes out of your speakers. However, get the Adcom! :-)

As far as 545 vs. 555 goes, it depends on how loud you like to monitor. I monitor quite reasonably, so the 545 is more than enough. When listening to an amp with meters, (MC2015), it appears that I rarely use more than 10-15watts RMS with Avalon Evolution NP 2 speakers (not crazy efficient, but not terrible).

Regardless, make sure any amp that is more than 10 years old gets a checkup and if it's an Adcom, send it to Jim! It's money worth spending and will ensure you will likely not need to purchase another amp.
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for Jesus

I have had 2 Adcom 545s moded by Jim, one in my old room and one in the new studio. It is plenty of power, sounds and works great.

Just contact Jim through his email or website.
Old 15th April 2020
Here for the gear

Urei 6290 with NS10's

Would the URei 6290 be a good combo with NS10's? When compared to the Adcom 545 or 555? My NS10's will arrive later this week( I am praying ) and I want to pair them with the best Amp possible budget considering. Thanks

Lou
Old 15th April 2020
I replaced Urei 6290 power amps in LA control rooms with Adcoms back in the late 1980's. Those Urei's are a harsh sounding amp.
Old 30th April 2020
Here for the gear

Does anyone have any experience using a Carver TFM-35x power amp with the Yamaha NS-10m?
Old 30th April 2020
My fav

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/264710609541

(Yamaha p2201, there’s also the p2200)

I have tried many amps for my ns10’s and this is by far the best for me. Tons of power and will have the Yamaha ns10 woofers pumping out like crazy! You can’t go wrong w this amp! This is what I’m using. The asking price is a little high, see if you can find one cheaper or deal it down. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulaws View Post
Would the URei 6290 be a good combo with NS10's? When compared to the Adcom 545 or 555? My NS10's will arrive later this week( I am praying ) and I want to pair them with the best Amp possible budget considering. Thanks

Lou
Old 4th July 2020
Anyone had experience with a Roland SRA-260 Power Amp? 400W I think, and wow are they cheap. Roland rocks too... anyone have one w NS-10s?
Old 4th July 2020
I wouldn’t recommend it because of the fan it has in the back... I’m sensitive And anal to noise in the studio when I mix at low volumes so this looks pretty loud..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml designs View Post
Anyone had experience with a Roland SRA-260 Power Amp? 400W I think, and wow are they cheap. Roland rocks too... anyone have one w NS-10s?

Last edited by vsthalion; 4th July 2020 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

NS-10M Amplifier / Crown XLS 1002

Hey guys, I've read a lot about NS-10 and amplifiers here as I had to get amps for NS-10. I checked out several amplifiers and indeed there are severe differences!

Thanks for all the information you postet. So now I wanted to report about my experience in return (which possibly might be helpful):

Finally I bought Crown XLS 1002 amplifiers (for all of my 3 pairs of NS-10M Studio). These amps are much newer then most of the classic candidates discussed here. They are of the current line in 2020. In my humble opinion, these amps match very nicely and yield a smooth and clear sound without coloration. They tame the very top end a tiny little bit (but in a positive way) and are absolutely flat otherwise. Good and tight bass control, great mids, and clean but soft top end (no harshness).

The amps have more than enough power, a great variety of connectors, are super lightweight and small, volume pots in the front and the price is near to ridiculous for the sound and the features. Furthermore you have a shiny new amplifier with warranty and do not have to fear any old parts of unobtainium and repair stuff...

First I was very (!) sceptical due to it being a Class-D amp, having an additional AD-DA conversion for the (unused) DSP and the fans ... I checked it out just due to curiosity. By surprise, none of the points appear to have negativ impact: No typical "Class-D" sound at all. Very warm and clean - the good clean, not the bad one. The AD-DA additionally does have the positive side-effect that due to the anti-alias filters you save your tweeters as no signal above 20k will be passed. The fans usually do not run at all and the amp is dead quiet. If they kick in (e.g. very very hot room in summer) they are extremely quiet.

So if you are looking for an affordable, portable and great sounding amp paired with the NS-10 (in my experience and opinion) you could give it a try... I would be interested in your experiences.

Last edited by Rockzentrale; 18th September 2020 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: additional information
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Yep. I ran mine on a crown 2300N. I much preferred it over my bryston 4b sst2
Old 24th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockzentrale View Post
First I was very (!) sceptical due to it being a Class-D amp, having an additional AD-DA conversion for the (unused) DSP and the fans ... I checked it out just due to curiosity. By surprise, none of the points appear to have negativ impact: No typical "Class-D" sound at all. Very warm and clean - the good clean, not the bad one. The AD-DA additionally does have the positive side-effect that due to the anti-alias filters you save your tweeters as no signal above 20k will be passed. The fans usually do not run at all and the amp is dead quiet. If they kick in (e.g. very very hot room in summer) they are extremely quiet.
Thanks for the tip, these amps look good. I tried to find out about their AD/DA but found nothing. I wonder if it introduces latency?

The DSP seems to be just Hi and Low pass filters. Could it be that they are digitally controlled analog filters?
Old 24th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonnoise View Post
Thanks for the tip, these amps look good. I tried to find out about their AD/DA but found nothing. I wonder if it introduces latency?

The DSP seems to be just Hi and Low pass filters. Could it be that they are digitally controlled analog filters?
I did not measure it (and I am currently not at home to be able to do). But sure it will introduce some latency. Typical AD-DA latency at least which should be in the rage of let's say 0.5 ms to 1.5 ms I suppose... (This is by far not critical in a studio monitoring setup - unless you would use the NS-10 a it with a Subwoofer that has a different Amp and no ability to regulate the delay)

If for any special reason you need an exact latency value I could measure it for you the next days.

Yes, the DSP appears rather useless in the given context. Just Lopass and Hipass. The amp is designed for stage application and it is the cost-effective product line that does not have many options (in order to be still able to sell the more expensive models I suppose.)
I've read discussions about AD-DA conversions in the XLS and I measured the frequency response once. The signal is steeply lopassed above 20k which very much appears to be an anti-aliasing filter. So rather unlikely it is an analog filter...

Anyways, to me there is no audible / negative impact compared to fully analog amps (which surprised me). The steep anti-aliasing filter might even protect the beloved but somewhat delicate HF drivers in the NS-10

The amp apparently is also loved and much discussed by many of our good friends at the high-end-audio department... (Using plain gold-wires for the speakers and at least a $250 Power cord of course )
📝 Reply