The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Love the production, hate the song!
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Nut

Love the production, hate the song!

Just been reading the "Groundbreaking production" thread, and it seemed everyone was nominating their musically fave albums - they love the music so therefore they love the production.

BUT can anyone name:
1. An album where they love the production but hate the songs?
2. An album where they love the songs but hate the production?
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Addict

Love Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" -hate the production.
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatstrings View Post
Just been reading the "Groundbreaking production" thread, and it seemed everyone was nominating their musically fave albums - they love the music so therefore they love the production.

BUT can anyone name:
1. An album where they love the production but hate the songs?
2. An album where they love the songs but hate the production?
1. NO
- Mother Mother - Oh My Heart, Touch Up (sounds pretty horrible)
- Third Eye Blind - Out of The Vein (also sounds pretty horrible)
- Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light (not enough grit...too much focus on vocal harmonies)

i'm sure there are more for #2, but those popped into my mind.
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

I have the ULTIMATE example!

The Wildhearts -
Endless Nameless
Some fantastic songs . . . and production that deliberately leaves them almost unlistenable.

See below:

YouTube - The Wildhearts - Urge
Old 5th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
Love Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" -hate the production.
So many people say that. That album is such a staple in my faves and influences that I overlook the sound. It was rumored that it was recorded in a barn......baaaaaah, I mean hee haw.
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Almost anything by Queen, especially B. Rhapsody and Bites the Dust.
Top notch production, engineering, sound, vocals, & instruments. The songs, to me, are stunts: brilliant, well performed stunts, but emotionally vacant.
I respect the work, but in a cold-fish scientist sort of way.
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Piece of My Heart, Janis. I nominate it for the Best Female Vocal Performance In A Pop Song. However, there is no excuse for leaving that horrible guitar break in there. It's like a dog turd laying on the edge of the turkey platter at Thanksgiving dinner. tutt
Old 5th September 2009
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder (the song)

The blown speaker sound might be cool if you are listening on a ****ty boombox or something, but it distractions from probably their best song ever. I don't know...attempting to sound "lo-fi" when the album was probably tracked in a nice room (I don't think Dave Friedman works out of a garage) defeats the purpose. Just record it on a cassette 4-track like Guided By Voices

I think Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is one of the best albums of the 90's, but mix is CRUSHED! Maybe the 10th Anniversary remaster hits the SSL a little easier.
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

There are umpteen 70s and early 80s Nashiville country albums that are very very good recordings, however I'd rather chew my own arm off than actually listen to the songs...

Curve....... Cuckoo Waltz a chuffin brilliant set of songs and arrangements ruined by an awful production..
Old 5th September 2009
It has been well over a decade since the metal Christian band Believer released a CD. They finally got back together and musically the it's great, but production wise, it's absolutely terrible! The guitars suck, the drums sound like they were recorded in a garage using an Alesis USB Mixer or something. Love the music though!
Old 5th September 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibripper75 View Post
So many people say that. That album is such a staple in my faves and influences that I overlook the sound. It was rumored that it was recorded in a barn......baaaaaah, I mean hee haw.
Much of it was recorded at Bear Creek Studio in Woodinville, WA. The studio is built into a barn from the late 1800's. To say Badmotorfinger was recorded in a barn is a bit of a misnomer, but is true to some extent.

Bear Creek Studio - Home

-Doc
Old 5th September 2009
Any number of Michael Jackson songs where I hate the song and utterly loathe the artist but think the Quincy Jones production is stellar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search