The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TOFT ATB gain staging
Old 4th September 2009
  #1
Gear Addict
 

TOFT ATB gain staging

Hey everyone!

Sorry, if my questions don’t meet the level of this board but I would appreciate some help.

I have some problems in understanding the gainstaging with my TOFT ATB24 (pilot program).
I set my 2 RME Firefaces to Hi gain (-19dBFS = 0 dBVU = +4 dBu).
I mix mainly via the line in inputs and the gains are set to the 0 mark.
When I send 1kHz with –19 dB out of cubase I see about – 3 dB on my TOFT meter bridge.
Is that the 0 mark above the gain pot really unity?

Similar question to the mon inputs. As far as I understand from the drawings in the manual I think they are only attenuators meaning unity is when they are completely open. In reality it sounds like they add additional gain in this position.

Is there any more information available beside of the manual?

PS: How hot do you mix your signals on the TOFT? I try to keep my channels out of the red mostly, since I quickly hear some distortion coming up. Is this normal?

Peter
Old 4th September 2009
  #2
pan
Lives for gear
 
pan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
When I send 1kHz with –19 dB out of cubase I see about – 3 dB on my TOFT meter bridge.
Is that the 0 mark above the gain pot really unity?
The Pan Law is -3 compensated - if you pan the channel, it goes up to 0 dB

Quote:
Similar question to the mon inputs. As far as I understand from the drawings in the manual I think they are only attenuators meaning unity is when they are completely open. In reality it sounds like they add additional gain in this position.
Yes they indeed add gain - unity is somewhere around 2 o'clock.

Quote:
Is there any more information available beside of the manual?

PS: How hot do you mix your signals on the TOFT? I try to keep my channels out of the red mostly, since I quickly hear some distortion coming up. Is this normal?

Peter
The red LED is too much for the TOFT - if you stay conservative, it's healthier.
You should not drive it's inputs too hard, the colour comes from the EQ, not saturation. I find that the image collapses when hitting this desk too hot.tutt
Old 4th September 2009
  #3
Gear Addict
 

perfect! Thank you pan!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jacklynn / So Much Gear, So Little Time
1010
Shandy / So Much Gear, So Little Time
24
Nick_1234 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
6
TacosWhenTwisted / Music Computers
4
hduncan / So Much Gear, So Little Time
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump