The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sounds like 1176?
Old 7th May 2003
Here for the gear

sounds like 1176?

I've been using the UAD 1176 plug-in for my drum submixes (setting with all buttons pushed in) and really like it, but am now mixing through console and looking for an outboard compressor to get a similar sound. without shelling out cash for two 1176's, what would ya'll recommend to get a similar sound in a stereo comp?
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

distressor, but I am not sure that you are spending that much less. One thing, once you use an actual hardware 1176, the plug will be a pale pale imitation in your eyes ( ears) IMHO.
Old 7th May 2003
Here for the gear

yeah I realise that, definitely.
two questions: what is actually occuring with all buttons pressed on the 1176? what ratio is that?
and is an 1178 a stereo version of the 1176? same circuitry or different?
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Nut

I think the British option on the Distressor is meant to emulate the 1176 with all 4 buttons pushed in, but I could be wrong. You should ask the May Guest Moderator - he'll know.

-J
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jmusic3
I think the British option on the Distressor is meant to emulate the 1176 with all 4 buttons pushed in, but I could be wrong. You should ask the May Guest Moderator - he'll know.

-J
Correct.

the Distressor with the Brit mod is the way to go. You'll also be able to control your attack and releases so much better with the EL8 with the Brit mod.
Old 7th May 2003
Cheap & fun option might be an ADR compressor.. They "snap" and 'bitch' on drums..
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

I always thought the ADL's sounded more LA2Aish. But I could see it on a drum bus.
Old 7th May 2003
Here for the gear

actually been seriously thinking about an adr for this purpose, I found a good price on one and might jump on it. what more can you tell me, so it's more like LA2A? I really like the 'british mod' sound can the adr compex be tweaked to sound similar? it's got so many features for a comp. lot-o-knobs.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by aronaut
actually been seriously thinking about an adr for this purpose, I found a good price on one and might jump on it. what more can you tell me, so it's more like LA2A? I really like the 'british mod' sound can the adr compex be tweaked to sound similar? it's got so many features for a comp. lot-o-knobs.
My bad. I was thinking ADL (Anthony Demaria Labs). I gotta start getting more zzzz's.

The Helios consoles routinely had the ADR Compex compressors in them as their onboard dynamics processors. If you are going for the Coldplay "In my room" or Zeppling "When The Levy Breaks" kind of feel, jules made a great suggestion.
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Addict

E-cue, I've made that same ADR/ADL mistake here a while back. It's okay, life goes on.

I've heard the SSL talkback limiter behaves very similarly to an 1176 with the all-the-buttons/British-setting thing going, but I haven't confirmed this myself.

Bear
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

If you are specifically like afer that crushed SSL talk back thang.... try the ridge farm boiler compressor. It is supposed to be modeled pretty much after that talkback limtier circuit and is fully VCA like the real deal.

i dont have a link but im sure if u doa google search they will pop up..

Jules tip for ADR 760 XRS is a good one too... gots to get me one of them soon b4 people get onto them and drive the prices up

Spectrasonics 610 is also another good tip for the slowest and fastest attack and release times.....very much in the 1176 camp but with WAY more attitude------> distortias maximus.heh heh heh

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Addict

The SSL talkback limiter, unlike the channel or bus compressors, is actually an FET based limiter. I can dig up a link for the schematic. (If I knew dick about laying out solid state circuits, I probably would have built one by now, as the components should be cheap and easy to obtain.)

I think I've asked before, here or elsewhere, does anybody have ADR schematics? Whenever I get down to ordering parts for an SSL bus comp, I might as well pickup enough VCA's to mess with these, too.

Bear
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

I have a ADR express limiter for sale. Instant ADR sound with compressor/ limiter/expander functions
Pm me if interested.
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

what's adr stand for ?????????
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

just buss all the drums out of the desk and go thru a stereo aux
channel on you daw and return that back to the analog boat anchor.
use the same plug in that ypu love.
Old 7th December 2003
Gear Nut

Little late response...

But ADR stands for Audio Design Recording. It's simply a brand.
Old 7th December 2003
Re: sounds like 1176?

Quote:
Originally posted by aronaut
I've been using the UAD 1176 plug-in for my drum submixes (setting with all buttons pushed in) and really like it, but am now mixing through console and looking for an outboard compressor to get a similar sound. without shelling out cash for two 1176's, what would ya'll recommend to get a similar sound in a stereo comp?
On kicks and snares: JBL/Urei 7110

On vocals: Urei LA22

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search