The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Travelling guitarist out there!!!!
Old 4th September 2009
Here for the gear

Travelling guitarist out there!!!!

Hey fellas! I study music at the US but am originally from Brazil and whenever I have a break I usually go home and play a few gigs. I've recently bought a skb stagefive pedalboard and it works great performance wise but every time I fly, my pedals end up loose from the velcro and disconnected banging around all over the case. I keep thinking it's the inspection crew from the airline, does anyone know any solutions for that? I mean, maybe accompany the inspection or a tag identifying what's inside?
Thanks
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Addict

Velcro is not usually enough to hold pedals in place on a flight. Do you put it in checked luggage or carry on? (Sorry not familiar with how big the skb stagefive is but I assume it's too big for carry on?)

The best way is to drill holes in the board and use cable ties to hold them on. It's unlikely the problems are caused by security inspection - baggage handlers are not renown for being the most delicate of souls and they will throw your board all over the place. Velcro can't stand up to that (especially with heavier pedals) Once the case is upside down and gets shaken around your pedals will come off. Cable ties are the go
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

If the TSA inspects the inside of a bag or container, they normally leave a note. They do when I travel, anyway. If you haven't seen a note, then it is probably just rough handling of the container that is shaking the Velcro loose.

In addition to switching to cable ties, another solution is to put something into the dead space between the pedals and the top of the case. T-shirts, underwear (clean, preferably), whatever. The Velcro may still come loose, but at least the pedals won't be bouncing around.
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoGrilli View Post
Hey fellas! I study music at the US but am originally from Brazil and whenever I have a break I usually go home and play a few gigs. I've recently bought a skb stagefive pedalboard and it works great performance wise but every time I fly, my pedals end up loose from the velcro and disconnected banging around all over the case. I keep thinking it's the inspection crew from the airline, does anyone know any solutions for that? I mean, maybe accompany the inspection or a tag identifying what's inside?
Thanks
there is no need for inspectors to shake them loose, the ground crew will do that just as well if not better, by swinging your pedal board like a slingshot...
There are so bad these guys! never, ever look at the the crew loading baggage if you have anything fragile in it. You stand behind the glass, you see them playing with your stuff and can't do S..t about it .
So the solution for pedal board.
Most stompboxes have bottom plate held with 4 screws. Measure the thickness of your SKB and get same thred screws, longer by the thickness you just measured. Screw the bottom plate as a sandwich afetr adding penny washers on the bottom. There you go! Good luck mister ground crew! Oh No!!!>>> Not my Guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oli
Old 5th September 2009
Here for the gear

Just checked and there was no tag and as I rely only on velcro it probably was the rough handling from the ground crew. I'm definitely filling the case with clothes man it'll save the pedals and some space in my bag. thank for all the ideas, this forum is the ****! And remember:
MUSICIANS, UNITE AGAINST AIRPORT ABUSE!!! I'LL NEVER CHECK MY GUITAR!!!! EVER!
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

I use a Pedaltrain 2 board...pedals are velcro'd in place. so far no issues with them coming loose, and I check my board and fly several times a year.

i did have security disconnect every pedal power cable from the power supply once, and left me with a tangled rat's nest to sort out quickly onstage while the crowd waited anxiously at that evenings show!

you might want to check out that industrial velcro for cement and concrete block. it's brutal and nothing really comes loose without a serious fight.
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

In almost all US airports (I've seen most of the major ones) the T.S.A. has an X-Ray machine that has a conveyor belt at the "input" side.
Once the baggage or your rack leaves the machine it slides down a short (4 ft.) ramp that has a hard, non-cushioned "bumper" to stop the piece.
I have watched my racks slam into that thing so many times.
It hits hard enough that SBK type hard plastic racks will have their crappy twist/butterfly clasps come un-done.

You can't tell them to be careful because I believe they are instructed not to interact with the public.
The T.S.A. doesn't want people telling them how to custom handle their stuff while they are trying to inspect it.

Still, I have never had anything get damaged.... yet.

Also, make sure you arrive EXTRA EARLY when you take stuff like that.
It will take longer for them to inspect it and I have had gear arrive on the next flight many times.
Old 5th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoGrilli View Post
MUSICIANS, UNITE AGAINST AIRPORT ABUSE!!! I'LL NEVER CHECK MY GUITAR!!!! EVER!
You can't really avoid it - don't panic just get a good quality guitar case. I stand by the Hiscox LiteFlite... It's had about 7 years of international flights... couldn't count how many all up... and my Strat has never suffered one iota.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search