The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Project Backup Options
Old 4th September 2009
Deleted User
Project Backup Options

What are you guys doing when your backup HD gets full?

The goal here BTW is to get the projects of the FW drives and onto something more permanent if you will

Say, bigger than the regular DVD size

What is the standard method for backing up a lot of projects?

What are the Professional studios doing in this area?

Thanks
Old 4th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
What are you guys doing when your backup HD gets full?

The goal here BTW is to get the projects of the FW drives and onto something more permanent if you will

Say, bigger than the regular DVD size

What is the standard method for backing up a lot of projects?

What are the Professional studios doing in this area?

Thanks
I do two things .. when I finish a project, I always burn it to either
DVD (if it will fit) or a Blu-Ray disk (if it's big).

Then, when my backup drive gets full, I pull the drive out of the enclosure,
get a new drive, and pick up from there and label the drive by date in
and date out.

I never keep the burned media in the same physical location as the hard drives.

That's what I'm doing....

jeff
Old 4th September 2009

I keep a second drive in the computer that has a copy of all ongoing projects. I have a 40 gig pocket drive that I transfer each days work onto and take home to transfer into a stack of drives that hold all the projects on a "permanent" basis. I encourage the client to take a copy of their files at the end of the project and tell them that even though I do my best to always have a copy of their work I do not guarantee it.
Old 4th September 2009
Deleted User
Thanks, anymore than just you two backing up
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear
I also back up every day to another internal drive. For most projects I just burn to DVD and delete it from the drive. But if it's a bigger or more important project, I'll copy it to an external along with burning it to DVD. Once that external is full, label it and get a new one!
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

I include this in my normal backup routine. I use an app called Second Copy: Secure your data with automatic backup software. In it I have programmed every folder or file cluster I wish to backup - meaning that when it's time I just click the GO button. The data is stored with complete folder structure onto the backup disks, so to Restore things I just have to drag and drop every file structure from the backup disk.

I have made a disc image of the naked system installations, so in case of a disk burnout I can just get another disk and copy that data onto the new disk. The backup is for stuff that constantly changes.

The backup is differential, meaning that only the files which has been added, removed, or changed (according to the timestamp) will be backup up (or removed). My entire backup is about 700 gb, each time, so backing up the whole 700 would take too much time. Differential backup means it's usually done in 20 mins. Just enough time for a cup of tea.

Being about 700 gb also means that online backup is pretty much ruled out. Instead, I backup onto a 750 gb USB external disk. In fact, I use 2 external drives; one for the office- or general stuff and another for the audio stuff. I do this backup every 4 days. But when I do something bigger or more sensitive, audiowise, I do it every day.

Then, to protect the data from fire or theft from within the flat, I keep the backup disks in a different place than the original system, namely hidden in the basement storage room which belongs to the rented flat I live in. That storage is located in a different building, just across the yard.

I also keep an constantly updated list of vendors which got the hardware stuff I would need to build myself completely new machines. By doing that, if some bugger breaks in and steals my computers, I will get new hardware right away (knowing exactly what and where to get it) and then re-install the systems using the backed-up data. Since I do it all ITB, this means that even in worst case, I will have a working system up and running within 30 hours after the breakdown - even during a weekend. However, the absolute worst case would be a total burnout fire of the flat. Then I'd have nowhere to set the stuff up and pick up the work. But then, the employer would understand.

Can't be 100% safe against everything. There's no such thing as foolproof, but this routine seems to cover my security needs very well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search