The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass content and Mixing...
Old 7th May 2003
Bass content and Mixing...

Ok, I am finally mixing my first project for pay. It has already been a huge learning experience but I am still having some major difficulty getting the bass/low-mids to be very defined. When I listen to some of my favorite mixes, the bass gtr and kick have their own space and gel together without getting too muddy or boomy.

I guees my question would be: How do you keep the bass/low mids happening and defined yet not make the mix too bottom heavy or too light??

Some details as to my particular mix situation (but I'm open to all ideas whether they neccesarily apply or not):

Four piece band with vocalist: Gtr, vibes, drums (played with brushes, rod, and stick) and electric standup bass.
Mixing internally on PT6 HD with lots of nice plugs. My monitoring consists of Tannoy Mains (dual concentrics), NS10s and some fairly high end Tannoy active nearfields.

Thanks !!

Ian
Old 7th May 2003
urumita

I still don' get what that means, alsihad, maybe I'm stupid.
are you mixing someone elses tracks?
this type of setup, jazz combo, is difficult for normalmusic mixing.
hint: start with the Bass, it's your power instrument. dont worry about drums with brushes and so forth untill the end, it's your dynamic instrument and if the group was "on" when they did the takes the dynamics will have to follow the drums. pretend that the bass is the drums, the vibes are the guitar, the guitar is the vocals and the drums have to be heard as accompianment with occasional thunderblasts.
with rock and pop music you usually scoop out 300 to 1000 Hz on the kick to make room for the bass. but this won't be necessary for this type of music. ask the musicians what they would like to hear. don't try to make the jimmy smith trio sound like nirvana, the musicians will end up hating you and there's already enough hate in this world.
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

imacgreg-

what ever you hear in your mix that you don't like - just pull that
stuff out - no matter what frequency it is or however much it takes.
forget what looks right and just carve the shit out. also don't forget that
there are extreme variations of Q on you eq .
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear