The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
what's a good adat unit with 8 analog outs?
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

what's a good adat unit with 8 analog outs?

I've got 8 channels of ADAT built into my DPS24, and I'm looking for a nice sounding piece with 8 analog outs. I wouldn't be using the preamps, I just need something to talk to the DPS24 via ADATand route pre-recorded tracks out to my mixing board. I've got 4 aux sends on my machine and with 8 channels out ADAT, that would give me 6 stereo groups I can mix OTB with, should be plenty.

What should I be looking at being that the pre amps won't really be needed, just the conversion from ADAT to the 8 analog outs.

Thanks,
Steely
Old 1st September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I've got 8 channels of ADAT built into my DPS24, and I'm looking for a nice sounding piece with 8 analog outs. I wouldn't be using the preamps, I just need something to talk to the DPS24 via ADATand route pre-recorded tracks out to my mixing board. I've got 4 aux sends on my machine and with 8 channels out ADAT, that would give me 6 stereo groups I can mix OTB with, should be plenty.

What should I be looking at being that the pre amps won't really be needed, just the conversion from ADAT to the 8 analog outs.

Thanks,
Steely
If I follow you correctly, something like a MOTU 896 would probably do the trick. You can probably snag one used on ebay for $500. It has 8ch of lightpipe.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldstone View Post
If I follow you correctly, something like a MOTU 896 would probably do the trick. You can probably snag one used on ebay for $500. It has 8ch of lightpipe.
That's an interface and I think he already has an interface. He's looking for something like a presonus digimax d8 which have outputs on all 8 channels.
Old 2nd September 2009
tekis
Motu 2408

Quick 'n dirty...
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Wat up guys?
Thanks for the suggestions, but to be clear. The goal is to get 8 channels OUT of my machine. It's not a computer interface I'm looking for, and I'm trying to avoid buying something expensive with nice preamps (I don't need'em), I've already got some external pre's and plenty of INPUTS.

I need something with 8 OUTPUTS and is ADAT.
Actually, what I'm looking for doesn't even need inputs, it just needs to talk to my AKAI DPS24 stand alone recorders ADAT, so It will recognize my my already recorded material, and let me route them out of my machine.

I only have 4 AUX sends to send audio out of the DPS24, and no direct outs for each channel. Follow me?

Thanks for the help,
Steelyfan
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Addict

I think I follow (or thought I did).

An 896 has ADAT lightpipe in/out (1 bank on the old versions...so 8 ch) and it also has 8inputs and 8 outputs...in addition to a stereo set of outputs.

2408 would probably work just as well too...that has 3 banks of 8ch ADAT lightpipe I believe.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Budget? I know that the "B" word is shunned by many but I believe that, although the D/A conveter isn't the best in the world it will suit you fine. Soooooooooo a ummm...wait for it....wait for it....

Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain Pro-8 A/D/A Converter

I have a Rosetta 800 and a Tascam 1884 and a DIGI 003 and the "B" word ADA8000. I have a/b/c/d'd them all and although the Rosetta Shines, the "B" word is just not that bad. $200 for this unit is not a bad price and it's even better because it's not going to be doing any A/D
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Budget? I know that the "B" word is shunned by many but I believe that, although the D/A conveter isn't the best in the world it will suit you fine. Soooooooooo a ummm...wait for it....wait for it....

Behringer ADA8000 Ultragain Pro-8 A/D/A Converter

I have a Rosetta 800 and a Tascam 1884 and a DIGI 003 and the "B" word ADA8000. I have a/b/c/d'd them all and although the Rosetta Shines, the "B" word is just not that bad. $200 for this unit is not a bad price and it's even better because it's not going to be doing any A/D
Thanks! Yep, and that's what alot of folks have suggested. Was wondering if anyone had discovered something else (no pres). Thing is, I wouldn't be using the pres' at all, just the ADAT feature and the analog outs on the box, so I'm not as scared. But what is important is that the "B" would be channeling 4 of my 6 stereo tracks OTB, so the sound is pretty important here. Not real sure what type of conversion is actually happening, if any. Maybe someone could shed some light.

The audio has already been converted from analog to digital from the initial recording process. So now my DPS24 has all that audio inside.

What type of conversion happens now by sending the tracks out of the AKAI via ADAt through the Behringers analog outputs? It is leaving digital and out analog.

???

Steely
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks! Yep, and that's what alot of folks have suggested. Was wondering if anyone had discovered something else (no pres). Thing is, I wouldn't be using the pres' at all, just the ADAT feature and the analog outs on the box, so I'm not as scared. But what is important is that the "B" would be channeling 4 of my 6 stereo tracks OTB, so the sound is pretty important here. Not real sure what type of conversion is actually happening, if any. Maybe someone could shed some light.

The audio has already been converted from analog to digital from the initial recording process. So now my DPS24 has all that audio inside.

What type of conversion happens now by sending the tracks out of the AKAI via ADAt through the Behringers analog outputs? It is leaving digital and out analog.

???

Steely
I've never used the Behringer but have heard good things about it (someone has a shootout here on G.S. somewhere between that and a Rosetta I believe)

It is a digital signal out of the Akai via optical ADAT lightpipe into the converter of your choice. The conversion is done in the Behringer/MOTU/PreSonus...etc and sends analog signals out.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

The ADA8000 would be fine for what you need and the converters are fine. But FYI the outputs are XLR only. I don't see a problem with that but some people might.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

If you're looking for a really high quality 8 ch. D/A, it's hard to beat this:

http://cranesong.com/downloads/egret%20data.pdf

Just don't faint when you hear the price... heh
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

If you're looking for a cheap solution something like the Behringer or the Presonus would do you fine even though it has more stuff than you need. I think Alesis makes some DA gear that's fairly inexpensive as well. If you're looking for some really high quality stuff then I'd suggest maybe going to sweetwater.com and take a look at their DA boxes or maybe even give them a call and see what they'd recommend.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, that helps . That Cranesong piece is beautiful., although I'm sure it sounds great, it's too much for what I'm doing. It's seems like it would fit perfectly with a system designed with it in mind though.

As long as the converters on the behringer are "transparent" and will pass my audio out how it sounds in my machine, the name brand thing doesn't phase me. I'm guessing the biggy is how a piece converts going in, and that D/A conversion is generally not as technical as A/D conversion? Would you agree with this? It would be the difference of "capturing" rather than "passing" audio......(thinking out loud here) A/D
D/A

steely
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
If you're looking for a cheap solution something like the Behringer or the Presonus would do you fine even though it has more stuff than you need. I think Alesis makes some DA gear that's fairly inexpensive as well. If you're looking for some really high quality stuff then I'd suggest maybe going to sweetwater.com and take a look at their DA boxes or maybe even give them a call and see what they'd recommend.
That's a great idea. Because if I can avoid paying for something with preamps (i won't use them) and just an ADAT piece for passing analog outputs, I could pay more for a nicer piece that's designed just for that purpose. I'll look around, but haven't seen much out there that ONLY does this.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Get a Rosetta 800 or a Lynx Aurora 8.

ADAT i/o and analog i/o.

Should be all you need. heh
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitMus View Post
If you're looking for a really high quality 8 ch. D/A, it's hard to beat this:

http://cranesong.com/downloads/egret%20data.pdf

Just don't faint when you hear the price... heh
Yeah that's why I suggested the "B". I don't think he wants to spend an arm and a leg.

D/A conversion is a lot easier than A/D. Get the "B" and paint over the letters and re-paint "Pro-Conveter" on the front of it and you will be fine
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Addict

I have a Frontier Design Dakota and/or Tango 24 I am selling.

Frontier Design Group

If either of those are of interest contact me.

Dan
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Yeah that's why I suggested the "B". I don't think he wants to spend an arm and a leg.

D/A conversion is a lot easier than A/D. Get the "B" and paint over the letters and re-paint "Pro-Conveter" on the front of it and you will be fine
LOL!
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop View Post
But FYI the outputs are XLR only. I don't see a problem with that but some people might.
Interesting.

I guess getting some XLR outs wouldn't be too bad.
Wonder what the difference would be going into the board XLR or just using 1/4 inputs? (cable wise) It is a line level, so I'm thinking no difference.They're both hitting the same preamp chain, probablly sound the same.
Old 2nd September 2009
JDM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wat up guys?
Thanks for the suggestions, but to be clear. The goal is to get 8 channels OUT of my machine. It's not a computer interface I'm looking for, and I'm trying to avoid buying something expensive with nice preamps (I don't need'em), I've already got some external pre's and plenty of INPUTS.

I need something with 8 OUTPUTS and is ADAT.
Actually, what I'm looking for doesn't even need inputs, it just needs to talk to my AKAI DPS24 stand alone recorders ADAT, so It will recognize my my already recorded material, and let me route them out of my machine.

I only have 4 AUX sends to send audio out of the DPS24, and no direct outs for each channel. Follow me?

Thanks for the help,
Steelyfan
Hey steely! How you doin' man?

ART sent me an email last week stating that they are releasing a version of the Tubefire8 with ADAT outs in November. I have no idea what the price will be. It will have 8 preamps which you don't need, but I just figured I would let you know anyway.

Take care and enjoy the "Deeps"!
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Guru

I think the Motu 2408 is great. I have a mark II model. Works in standalone mode for just this very thing. You can pick them up used cheap too.
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Addict

Aphex makes a very inexpensive very good sounding half rack unit ADAT D/A converter. I've actually been using a few of them for outputs to my console for a little over a year now. Nothing in this price range has done as well for me these have.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for the Lynx Aurora 8 with adat card.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

ART sent me an email last week stating that they are releasing a version of the Tubefire8 with ADAT outs in November. I have no idea what the price will be. It will have 8 preamps which you don't need, but I just figured I would let you know anyway.

Doing good! Still learning the DPS24........what a killer machine. Feel like I'm starting over, like a greenie, you know, new tools....new learning curve.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep my eyes peeled. Oh, by the way, I enjoyed your music you posted at Studio TRaXX, I only had time to listen to a littlebit of one song, I think your first shared recording with the Deeps, but can tell you have a nice ear for good music.

Cheers man,
Steely
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Guys, I appreciate you taking time to offer your suggestions and user reviews. Not as exciting as debating over music aethetics I know, But I'm about to finally get my studio dialed in! Whatever I end up getting, after tracking my material, It'll be quick work sending it out through the board to mix, especially with a consistent group bussing template.

You've given me plenty of options to research, much thanks! I'll let cha know.

Steely
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

Take another look at the Tubefire8. I'm not certain how these adat pieces work, how they read their inputs and outputs, but that's a firewire based connection. I don't think the Deeps communicates with firewire? It has adat and usb 1.0 (??? crazy, I know). It looks like it comes with a version of Cubase too, so it seems it wants to work with a PC..????

If Adat interfaces can communicate through their adat connection, without firewire, then this looks like a cool piece of gear,especially with the tube pres'. I'm not versed in how these connections talk to each other.

I think Akai was supposed to have some optional connectitivity PCI boards in the works back then, but not sure. But I'm pretty sure they didn't come stock though.....at least mine doesn't have one installed.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear
Aphex 141 is about it if you only need D to A under a grand - good unit though, definitely better than the Behringer and under $400. If you've got the bux, a used Mytek 8x96DAC would give you S/MUX (88.2/96K over ADAT lightpipe if your Akai supports it) + much better clock than the 'deeps' (which it outputs on a BNC) + Apogee or better conversion quality. They're about $1200-$1600 used.
Both good bets for the dollar - neither has pre's, A-to-D, or any other unnecessary nonsense.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Well, I've been checking out some of these suggestions:

Folks, I'm looking for an adat device with ANALOG OUTPUTS!!!! lol..
These outputs are going into a mixing board, not a computer.

Get it together now.

steely
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, I've been checking out some of these suggestions:

Folks, I'm looking for an adat device with ANALOG OUTPUTS!!!! lol..
These outputs are going into a mixing board, not a computer.

Get it together now.

steely
...and those are the suggestions I gave you:

ADAT lightpipe in, 8 analog outs - no pre's, no interface, no analog in
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrax View Post
...and those are the suggestions I gave you:

ADAT lightpipe in, 8 analog outs - no pre's, no interface, no analog in
LOL.
Like I said, I'm not really savy on these different types of connections, so I am here to learn. But the second picture confuses me, on that monitor looking connection under where it says analog outs, is there a cable that hooks to that to channel for xlr or 1/4 cables out? On the MOTU, I can see the outputs, and it makes sense. How's that 141 work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search