The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what's a good adat unit with 8 analog outs?
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear Addict

896 I think would work for you...and it would still give you the pres and the inputs in the event you ever needed them.

The 141 looks like it uses a breakout cable. It's essentially a snake that connects using that "computer monitor" style to the ass end of that unit but will have a fan out side with XLR or TRS outputs.

Mackie Onyx board uses something similar I think. Either would work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
LOL.
Like I said, I'm not really savy on these different types of connections, so I am here to learn. But the second picture confuses me, on that monitor looking connection under where it says analog outs, is there a cable that hooks to that to channel for xlr or 1/4 cables out? On the MOTU, I can see the outputs, and it makes sense. How's that 141 work.

Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear
Yeah, it's a Tascam-type D-Sub cable. Many mfr's make 'em - Proco, Hosa, Mogami, whirlwind, etc. etc. etc. - breaks out into 8 XLR or 8 TRS 1/4's, depending on which model you buy. I've got an extra Proco one I might sell if you decide to go that way.
The Alesis AI-3 is also the same price, if you want TRS (tip-ring-sleeve 1/4" jacks) right on the unit, but it's also got analog in to ADAT lightpipe as well which you don't need (whereas all the money on the Aphex goes toward quality a-to-d conversion). The Alesis, however, is a full rack space (as opposed to the Aphex half-rack).
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrax View Post
(whereas all the money on the Aphex goes toward quality a-to-d conversion)
Sorry, meant "d-to-a"
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Take another look at the Tubefire8. I'm not certain how these adat pieces work, how they read their inputs and outputs, but that's a firewire based connection. I don't think the Deeps communicates with firewire? It has adat and usb 1.0 (??? crazy, I know). It looks like it comes with a version of Cubase too, so it seems it wants to work with a PC..????
Tubefire8 currently only has FW connection. The next version is reported to have ADAT out.

I have a couple of these - they are pretty good preamps and interfaces - I really only use the analogue I/O, though. Not really what you are looking for.

I'd honestly go with the Beh. ADA8000. They are built cheaply, but perform on par with devices in the $1000-$2000 range. I have two and as much as I want to dislike them, they are the perfect fit for getting ADAT to analogue out.

Shear off the knobs on the front and mask the faceplate. Everything you need is on the back anyways :P
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Ok, cool. Thanks for hanging in there with me guys and shedding some light on this. I'll have to go back now and check out all the pieces I wrote off because I didn't see 8 holes on the back for outputs.... duuh...

Kinda went over my head.

cheers

Steely

Wow....4 emoticons on my shortest post ever.
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear Addict

I don't want to look like I am spamming this thread but take a look at the Tango 24 I have avaialble. I think it would meet your needs at a small price.

Here's the specs:
  • 8 analog outputs and 8 analog inputs
  • Balanced audio I/O on professional 1/4" TRS jacks
  • +4dBu or -10dBV levels, selectable per channel
  • Level meters selectable to inputs or outputs
  • ADAT optical in/out/thru
  • Internal (44.1 or 48 kHz) and external clock modes
  • Word-clock in/out
  • Rugged 1U rackmount enclosure
    • 24-bit 128x oversampling delta-sigma converters
    • Frequency response: +/- 0.05 dB, 20Hz-20kHz
    • Dynamic range: 105 dB A-weighted
    • THD+N: 0.002%
Here's a link: Frontier Design Group

Dan
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aphex 141 is about it if you only need D to A under a grand - good unit though, definitely better than the Behringer and under $400.
How do you know it's better than the Behri? Are you basing that totally on the name, and just assuming that since it says Behringer it can't possibly be worth a crap? Did you miss the post where someone did a converter shootout with the Behri and a higher end converter and made people blindly pick which they prefered? If you missed it the Behri won. I actually owned the unit for some time and like you just assumed(eventhough I was doing good solid recordings with it)that it just wasn't up to par with anything really. So I upgraded several times and each time was somewhat disappointed at the very slight sonic differences if any at all. The only reason I don't use the Behri now is because I really wanted my preamp inputs on the back and wanted pads on each channel.
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Guru

2408 has analog outputs -- 1/4" though. I've used them a lot. Live recording. I took the analog outs to send to the FOH mixer while I recorded.
Old 4th September 2009
JDM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Take another look at the Tubefire8. I'm not certain how these adat pieces work, how they read their inputs and outputs, but that's a firewire based connection. I don't think the Deeps communicates with firewire? It has adat and usb 1.0 (??? crazy, I know). It looks like it comes with a version of Cubase too, so it seems it wants to work with a PC..????
According to the email I received from ART, in November they are supposedly going to release the tubefire8 with ADAT. It might be called something different, but it will essentially be the same thing with ADAT. It should work fine with the Deeps.
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I actually owned the unit for some time and like you just assumed(eventhough I was doing good solid recordings with it)that it just wasn't up to par with anything really. So I upgraded several times and each time was somewhat disappointed at the very slight sonic differences if any at all. The only reason I don't use the Behri now is because I really wanted my preamp inputs on the back and wanted pads on each channel.
That's fiunny. That's exactly what happened to me. I started buying and returning and buying and selling units and finally concluded that unless I was going to spend 3k and up I wasn't going to hear much difference. I finally settled on a TC Studio Konnekt 48 primarily because I liked the preamps and I/O that it offered. Plus the preamps are bypassable too. But other than the preamps, I don't hear much difference between the Behri and the TC SK48. I think the ADA8000 is probably the best and most valued unit that Behringer makes. For $200 you just can't beat it. Even though the preamps in it are not that desirable.
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w View Post
Get a Rosetta 800 or a Lynx Aurora 8.
+1 rosetta 800
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Don't know why RME gets overlooked so much but they are really some great units... Not cheap & not too expensive, but sound just as good as any other of the higher end stuff... RME ADI series stuff..
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Addict

On the cheap!
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Guys, thanks so much for your suggestions. Especially sharing the fact you have used others, but unless dropping big $$, hardly a difference than the BEHRI. The material has already been captured, so the A/D thing has already happeded.....it just needs to leave "transparently" out to my mixer. A nicer conversion box will only be as good as the source that originally captured the audio to begin with, so it's unneccesary really.

I'm going for either these two:

1> the Behri.
2> I'll wait and see how that ART Tubefire with adat turns out, I guess it's in the works. If I'm going to pay $200 for the Behri with less than average pres (which I'm not looking to use anyway) but clean outputs, I might pay $400 for the Art if it's got some tube mojo with it's tube preamps.......never know when you'll need additional pre's, and an xtra $200 for 8 useable tube pres' is a SWEET deal .

Thanks again,
Steelyfan

ps.
3 day weekend.........WO HOO!
Old 4th September 2009
EDIT: sry didn't see the second page.

Labour day weekend yay!

Last edited by lain2097; 4th September 2009 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: EDIT: sry didn't see the second page.
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
How do you know it's better than the Behri? Are you basing that totally on the name, and just assuming that since it says Behringer it can't possibly be worth a crap?
I'm not saying that you'll hear the difference - that would depend on your ears, your taste, and your monitors, but...

Behri = 2 mil epoxied bakelite PCB, Alesis AL1101 (a-d) and AL1201 (d-a)converter chips (circa 2005) and TL074 op amps (famously used over and over again in Peavey mixers, MXR stomp boxes, etc. etc. etc.) - these are 4 op-amps in one surface-mount package each (not the greatest heat dissipation)

Aphex = 3 mil fiberglass PCB, Cirrus (Crystal Audio) 4385 d/a chip, 5532 op amps (same as Amek, TAC, Neve Portico, Trident, etc.), much more ground plating
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guys, thanks so much for your suggestions. Especially sharing the fact you have used others, but unless dropping big $$, hardly a difference than the BEHRI. The material has already been captured, so the A/D thing has already happeded.....it just needs to leave "transparently" out to my mixer. A nicer conversion box will only be as good as the source that originally captured the audio to begin with, so it's unneccesary really.

I'm going for either these two:

1> the Behri.
2> I'll wait and see how that ART Tubefire with adat turns out, I guess it's in the works. If I'm going to pay $200 for the Behri with less than average pres (which I'm not looking to use anyway) but clean outputs, I might pay $400 for the Art if it's got some tube mojo with it's tube preamps.......never know when you'll need additional pre's, and an xtra $200 for 8 useable tube pres' is a SWEET deal .

Thanks again,
Steelyfan

ps.
3 day weekend.........WO HOO!

Is the ART tubefire running it's tubes at full voltage or whatever? If not then the tubes probably aren't going to add a ton of "mojo" if any at all. I used to get sucked into these starved plate designs because it had a tube in it only to be very disappointed almost every single time. Most of the boxes just ended up sounding ugly after turning them up past a certain point.
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
The material has already been captured, so the A/D thing has already happeded.....it just needs to leave "transparently" out to my mixer. A nicer conversion box will only be as good as the source that originally captured the audio to begin with...
Actually, it won't be. You always lose something in conversion. Just because the A/D wasn't the best possible, doesn't mean the D/A won't hurt it further. Not saying the Behri is bad - but just because some people (when listening to what?on what?) picked it over "a high end converter" (we don't know which one, or what's considered "high end") doesn't make it good. You did say it needs to leave "transparently."
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
How do you know it's better than the Behri? Are you basing that totally on the name, and just assuming that since it says Behringer it can't possibly be worth a crap?
BTW, (I meant to address this in the last post) - I'm NOT basing it on the name, NOR am I saying that the Behringer is crap - it's a very good value. All I said was the Aphex is better. Listen to both(as I have), open up both(as I have), then feel free to flame.
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Just because the A/D wasn't the best possible, doesn't mean the D/A won't hurt it further.

Well, the audio that was captured sounds really nice. I only record at 16 bit, like the way it sounds, once tracks are stacked, it has a sound to it I dig. So since it's not 24 32 or 96 bit type of stuff, I feel not much if anything would be masked on the way out. Make sense?
Again, not into the numbers thing as much as I could be, and I could be off on this. I might have this backwards.

Quote:
"transparently."
A friend used one of the Behringer mixers to do a whole project with.
Now, I'm not saying it had any vibe to the pres', but the translation was clean and quite transparent. My mixers' got some mojo, just want whatever is leaving my machine on the way there to sound like it is inside.

But yes, with only 5 stereo busses to buss out to the mixer, you're right, all tracks need to be "there".
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
BTW, (I meant to address this in the last post) - I'm NOT basing it on the name, NOR am I saying that the Behringer is crap - it's a very good value. All I said was the Aphex is better. Listen to both(as I have), open up both(as I have), then feel free to flame.
I honestly wasn't flaming. You stated an opinion and I questioned it because you didn't state what you were basing you opinion on. Now that you've stated how you came to your conclusion it's more relevant to the original poster and to other people reading the thread. I just think it's more helpful to people to back up your opinion with personal experience that way people can differentiate between someone who's just making a blanket statement based on what they've heard other people say or on personal experience. Did I assume you hadn't heard it, honestly, yes and that was wrong for me to do and that's why I referenced the thread where the Behri beat the high end converter and I apologize for making that assumption.
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I honestly wasn't flaming. You stated an opinion and I questioned it because you didn't state what you were basing you opinion on. Now that you've stated how you came to your conclusion it's more relevant to the original poster and to other people reading the thread. I just think it's more helpful to people to back up your opinion with personal experience that way people can differentiate between someone who's just making a blanket statement based on what they've heard other people say or on personal experience. Did I assume you hadn't heard it, honestly, yes and that was wrong for me to do and that's why I referenced the thread where the Behri beat the high end converter and I apologize for making that assumption.

You are a polite man.

And I also appreciate the value of your original contribution to the thread.
Old 4th September 2009
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney View Post
I don't want to look like I am spamming this thread but take a look at the Tango 24 I have avaialble. I think it would meet your needs at a small price.

Here's the specs:
  • 8 analog outputs and 8 analog inputs
  • Balanced audio I/O on professional 1/4" TRS jacks
  • +4dBu or -10dBV levels, selectable per channel
  • Level meters selectable to inputs or outputs
  • ADAT optical in/out/thru
  • Internal (44.1 or 48 kHz) and external clock modes
  • Word-clock in/out
  • Rugged 1U rackmount enclosure
    • 24-bit 128x oversampling delta-sigma converters
    • Frequency response: +/- 0.05 dB, 20Hz-20kHz
    • Dynamic range: 105 dB A-weighted
    • THD+N: 0.002%
Here's a link: Frontier Design Group

Dan

pm'd you
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
No offense taken. Got nothin' but love for ya'. I always assume that when I make a statement, people know it's my opinion and based (to some degree) on personal experience. But you're right - not everybody knows that.

Steely, I'm sure the Behringer would be fine, but you might want to take a listen to both, side by side, and decide for yourself. The difference (between any two converters) is subtle, but audible. Might be worth the extra $200 to you, might not. I'll say this though: whatever you get, you'll probably upgrade 1-5 years down the road (digital being what it is), and I'm guessing guessing the 141 will hold it's value a lot better (guessing being the operative word).

Good luck whatever you do!
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for all your help digitrax!
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Another vote for the Frontier Designs Tango! I've had mine for 4 years! It sounds great and works flawlessly! For what they go for used.....you can't beat 'em!
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
According to the email I received from ART, in November they are supposedly going to release the tubefire8 with ADAT. It might be called something different, but it will essentially be the same thing with ADAT. It should work fine with the Deeps.

Let's keep in touch on this.

You looking to mix OTB, or just want more i/o?
Old 4th September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonviolin View Post
On the cheap!
+1! Actually, I have 2, so is that +2?
Old 4th September 2009
JDM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Let's keep in touch on this.

You looking to mix OTB, or just want more i/o?

I will definitely keep in touch with you.

I am interested in this simply due to the price and yes the I/O's. I am saving my beans for DW Fearn gear but I also need an interface for my computer and ADAT outs for the DEEPS. I figured I could kill two birds with one stone for a reasonable price and continue to save up for the Fearn stuff.
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting.

I guess getting some XLR outs wouldn't be too bad.
Wonder what the difference would be going into the board XLR or just using 1/4 inputs? (cable wise) It is a line level, so I'm thinking no difference.They're both hitting the same preamp chain, probablly sound the same.
ADA8000 outputs:

approx. 500 Ω balanced,
approx. 250 Ω unbalanced

So it's somewhere between low and mid Z.

Just make or get an XLR > TRS snake if you want to stay with 1/4" and your board's line inputs will like that kind of load.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search