The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Volunteer work at a studio?
Old 1st September 2009
Here for the gear

Volunteer work at a studio?

I didn't go to school for audio engineering (its not my day job), but I am obsessed with learning. Just out of curiosity, would it be weird if I volunteered to work for free (or just hang out) at a local studio just so I could observe and learn?

Anybody ever know of anybody doing this?
Old 1st September 2009
Gear Nut

It's not strange at all. I've had and have a few people who hang out at my studio just because they're interested in engineering and music. Find the studio in town that's working with bands you like and see if they're nice people. If you can show some initiative and help them out, they may take you under their wing and you can learn a thing or two.
Old 1st September 2009
Lives for gear

its called interning. this is the only way to get in, but you'll have to fend off the conservatory and full sail kids who are pushing to intern.

...get a recording book and brush up on basics, and learn terms. this way you won't sound like an idiot or musician who thinks he wants to be an enginneer or "pruhdoosah". working "for free" won't impress any studio managers or owners. this is expected anyway, even knowledgeable people start out interning.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search