The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
question about monitors . Studio Monitors
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Head

question about monitors .

Hi guys,
i'm new (comparing to most of you) in business and since i plan to buy a pair of monitors this autumn, i recently started to read more about them. What i have noticed is that some of them have a frequency response above 20 khz (especially the Adam monitors). Now pls help understand why, because i read that human ear detects sounds from 16 hz to 20 khz.
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Addict

I ain't an expert either, but I think it's because no one can hold a freq. range flat, it starts to deceive after a certain point.
So as the adams has a freq. range up to 22 khz, they may start to deceive at 20. Compared to other monitors which has a freq. range up to 20 kHz, they may loose some high end, because they start to deceive at 17 kHz?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. heh
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Head

i was thinking about that, but then, why do they establish frequency range response for example from 40 hz to 35 khz ? if the monitors do not get to 35 khz ?
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

In laymans terms, this is comparable to the sample rate debate. Why go to 196k or whatever, when we all know we can't hear anywhere near half that?

For people that can hear say, 20k (as an example).. 20k coming out of a monitor that only goes to 20k, is going to produce that 20k with a struggle (so quite possibly distorted in some way). 20k coming out of a monitor that can comfortably reproduce frequencies up to say 25-30k or whatever, is going to reproduce that 20k without breaking a sweat (IE, cleaner & less distorted). This will result in an audible and beneficial difference for many listeners (with good hearing!).

Its like doing 100mph in a car whos top speed is only 100mph. It can do it, sure. But its struggling because its at its absolute limit.. However, a car that can do 150mph can cruise at 100mph all day long without breaking a sweat. The faster car is the better place to be, even though you are still doing exactly the same speed.
I hate using car analogies when talking about audio, but sometimes it gets the point across quite well! But essentially, you get a better quality result when everything is comfortably within limits and you got plenty of margins to operate in.
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Head

@Llitsor - tbh i was thinkin about that.
Anyway i don't think i can afford atm to spend more than 500 euros on monitors. so my choices are HS80m or tascam vla-5. but the saddest part is that these products i can't find it in my country :(
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Addict

take into consideration the transient speed as well. To reach such a height of freq, you ave to be a fast speaker. And that is why you can see more and more good monitors these days ranging way past the 20k. Expose, Focal, Opal etc...

I think monitors above 20K are a good thing.

Oli
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Head

good news for me, i've found a local store where they have VLA-5. hooooooray :D
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

dont forget room treatment! it doesnt matter how much money you spend on monitors if you cant hear them properly... it should be the first thing you invest in.

wish somebody would have told me that before i went through different sets of monitors, wondering why it always sounded like ass...
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Head

yes indeed. will do that !
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
i was thinking about that, but then, why do they establish frequency range response for example from 40 hz to 35 khz ? if the monitors do not get to 35 khz ?
A low E on a bass is around 40hz.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search