The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Juggernaut rules. Period.
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Juggernaut rules. Period.

This is LONG overdue. I bought this 500 series pre over a year ago, and thankfully (in this economy), I have been so overloaded with work, I have not had a chance to post about it.

It rules. It's unreal how much you can get out of it. From pristine, to hairy in all the right places... A little tweaking and you're there. Vocals, bass, guitars, acoustic strings, ...name it.

Nathan and Tim have done a tremendous job in designing this piece. Build quality is unsurpassed in the format. A solid piece that has found a home, and might as well be welded in place in my 500 rack. I will be buying more of these when the need arises.

If you gotta go big, go Juggernaut. Period.
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Congrats bro...it's awesome when you really run into a piece that excites and reminds you why you love the art of 'the capture'. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come!!
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Head

Is that the pre where you can swap out between two different transformers? If so, is it hard?
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanyee View Post
Is that the pre where you can swap out between two different transformers? If so, is it hard?
Yes, you can swap them. The screws are in tight spots and small, so it can be tricky. I bought two of them. The transformer swap was worth it. The First one was more difficult than the second, just because I hadn't tried it.

I swapped my first one out, then A/B'd the transformers for a month. I liked the optional one better. So I switched it out on the second one as well.

I would also like to add my shout out to this forum about this pre. It gets used on every session and it's right up there with my API and UA. Different, but very pristine and versatile. I can't think of a better value pre in the 500 series.
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
This is LONG overdue. I bought this 500 series pre over a year ago, and thankfully (in this economy), I have been so overloaded with work, I have not had a chance to post about it.

It rules. It's unreal how much you can get out of it. From pristine, to hairy in all the right places... A little tweaking and you're there. Vocals, bass, guitars, acoustic strings, ...name it.

Nathan and Tim have done a tremendous job in designing this piece. Build quality is unsurpassed in the format. A solid piece that has found a home, and might as well be welded in place in my 500 rack. I will be buying more of these when the need arises.

hehDuhhhhhheh.....
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Nut

Juggernaut and Komit

Last December I bought a Juggernaut paired with a Komit compressor in one of Atlas' Revolver frames. It was my first foray into the 500 realm, although I have a number of other fine preamps- Great River, Universal Audio, Millennia, Summit, Focusrite, etc. The Juggernaut is probably the most flexible pre I own. I have yet to find a source it doesn't work well with, but it is especially good with my Pearlman TM1. I was amazed at how good this chain sounded: acoustic guitar pickup>Radial DI>Juggernaut with nickel input transformer>Komit lightly compressing.

A few words about the Komit are in order. Easy to use. Ranges from pretty subtle to very squashed and crunchy. Just twist the knobs until you find what you like. Great for a bit of comp while recording and outstanding for mixing. I've used it on snare, vocals, guitars, etc. with terrific results. I want another one!

I'm really tempted by the two channel rackmount version of the Juggernaut too...
Old 31st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could of course go for the Juggernaut Twin. Two channels, the transformers can be switched (both in and out) by the switch of a button. I'll definitely be going for it once I have some cash handy.
Old 31st August 2009
Quote:
On the Juggernaut 500, it is only two screws and a clip, so it takes just a couple minutes max (input transformer is switchable via pushbutton).
The Juggernaut Twin has the input AND output transformers iron/nickel switchable via pushbutton if that's more convenient or single 19" rack format is preferred.
Old 4th September 2009
New photo of Juggernaut Twin:

Intro price ends Sept 30
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

wat will be the price after that Nathan?

Im definately getting one of these!

How about if you pay a deposit will you still be entitled to the inteo price?
Old 4th September 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
What will be the price after that Nathan?
Only $100 more - so $1995 USD.

We've kept it much lower than orginally planned to keep it very affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post

Im definately getting one of these!

How about if you pay a deposit will you still be entitled to the intro price?

Anyone who pays a deposit before Sept 30 will get the intro price.

However, they are actually in stock for the first time since they started shipping a couple months ago. Thanks.
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
On the Juggernaut 500, it is only two screws and a clip, so it takes just a couple minutes max ...
Provided you have the right tools. It's in a tricky spot to get at for a hex screw.
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post

yup.... What he said

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search