Ibanez AD230 delay/flanger
Old 6th September 2005
Lives for gear

Ibanez AD230 delay/flanger

Has anyone used this? Opinions? Looks nice but I can´t try before buying. It is the upper unit in the picture.

Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear

I have the lower unit, which is pretty cool sounding, in an analog delay fashion. BE careful, they are not quite to standard rack mount dimensions.
Old 7th September 2005
Gear nut

That 230 is one of my all time favorite analog delays. I had one for a while and regretfully sold it because I never thought I would have a studio to use it in. Silly silly me. I wish I could find one again, but they seem to be very overpriced for what I want as an analog delay. I seem to remember as far as sound goes, one of the thickest HEAVIEST delays I have heard. Really nice modulation on it. A little noisy, but they all seem to be to some extent. I thought one of the coolest things about it was the LED input and output meters. Big blinking lights are yummy.

Erik Wofford
Stapes Audio
Old 7th September 2005
Gear nut

The AD 230 is a very nice analogue delay, as stabesaudio wrote before, but i would be careful to buy that unit without a check before. It is about 20 years or more old.
Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies!

So, is it wider than 19"?

I would like to have it in my rack if I buy it.

Gunnar
Old 7th September 2005
Gear nut

Yes it is 19", but 595 $ is overpriced.
Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks, I´m not buying the one for $595. I just used that picture. What would be a fair price do you think?
Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echorec
Thanks for the replies!

So, is it wider than 19"?

I would like to have it in my rack if I buy it.

Gunnar
It's 19" but may be slightly larger than 2 units. Mine fits only certain positions on some racks
Old 7th September 2005
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by echorec
What would be a fair price do you think?
The german 2nd-hand-market offers from 200 - 300 Euros, i.e. ebay.de
Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

This is classical bucket brigade analogue delay/flanger monster of 70s, high-end for the era, but still seriously competent gear.
Actually it is unbelievable how reliabe is one I have for 20 years already and can't imagine to sell it (probably like all owners of this baby.

Of course, video hardly revelas all nuances, but still..

Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

To my surprise AD202 (dunno how different it is to AD230 in sound) is noticably thinner sounding than moog mf104z. And it's not due to top-end extension. Of course that doesn't make it worse... maybe it's more usefull in the mix where mf104 often feels too dark (to me anyway). For obvious "phat" bbd mangling 104 is the beast.
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
To my surprise AD202 (dunno how different it is to AD230 in sound) is noticably thinner sounding than moog mf104z. And it's not due to top-end extension. Of course that doesn't make it worse... maybe it's more usefull in the mix where mf104 often feels too dark (to me anyway). For obvious "phat" bbd mangling 104 is the beast.
AD230 is quite a different beast to other Ibanez delays, specially later ones as 202. It is kind of great proportion of early, thick analog sound, without mud (of course compared to delays of that time).
I would rate 202 as quite nice, but not great.
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

^What do you consider great? i need one! Cause every time a run audio thru a 202 i get an orgasm. I want a 230 -- all these units sounds amazing and are built like tanks.
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
^What do you consider great? i need one! Cause every time a run audio thru a 202 i get an orgasm. I want a 230 -- all these units sounds amazing and are built like tanks.
If we agree that all vintage gears are great than 202 is definitely great, a lil less than 230, but still and yes, you'll love 230.
Old 2nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Ah cool -- I was just making sure you weren't talking about a yamaha e1010 or something else i haven't tried.

Anyone wanna sell me a 230?
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
Ah

Anyone wanna sell me a 230?
Hardly possible, people don't part with those easy.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search