The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What about patchbays ? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
You say they sell the replacements? I could not find them anywhere on their site. I would of course like to just buy replacements...any help on how you found yours?
Thanks
daniel
I had my dealer order them, but first, I sent an email to Neutrik asking for the part numbers since they weren't on the web page. Armed with that info, I went into the shop, and about a week later, I had 15 insert (send/receive) cards. I think they were about US$4.00 each.
Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear

Emailing them right now..thanks man
daniel
Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear

i don't really get it:
in the end, is it true that a patch bay will degrade signal quality a bit?
is it ultimately better (just in terms of sound) to plug XLR's in and out of outboard pieces, however inconvenient it may be...
Old 7th September 2005
Lives for gear

Tehcnically speaking it is always sonically more accurate to wire gear directly to one another but it is also an enormous PITA to work that way. I have a couple of racks rammed full of gear and I shudder to think about getting back behind my racks to switch my connections around. Patch Bays essentially allow for higher levels of productivity and flexibility which is essential in busier commercial studios.

I personally have 2 TT/Bantamn 96 point patchbays with EDAC connections. Brand new they will set you back about $1300 - $1400. I waited patiently on Ebay and got my first patchbay for $150 and the second one for $300. The wiring can be expensive for these things especially if you have to hire a tech to change some of the patch bay wiring internally which is sometimes necessary if you want to have some points normalled.

You can find basic 90 PIN EDAC cables for about $100-$150, you can also have them made for a little more. On a 96 PT bay with EDACS connections you will need 4 cables. The TT cables can be pricey but keep an eye open on ebay for some great deals. Hope that helps.
Old 7th September 2005
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl516
i don't really get it:
in the end, is it true that a patch bay will degrade signal quality a bit?
is it ultimately better (just in terms of sound) to plug XLR's in and out of outboard pieces, however inconvenient it may be...
Yup...but at a certain point your splitting hairs.

Imagine if you will, a 300-400 point patchbay, which is about average for a room with an analog console, a multitrack or two and a fair amount of outboard. Who wants to crawl behind the gear and deal with the spaghetti from that?

That's why it's mondo important to not skip on the quality of the connections and cabling in your studio. They're all links in the chain and one crappy connector or bunk piece of Hosed cable can ruin your tone and your day.

With at least 30-40 patches on a small session I'll glady trade a little tone for the convenience of having 400 seperate I/O's in front of me rather then having a few hundered individual cables floating around the room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search