The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sample Rates and samplers. MIDI Processors
Old 25th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Sample Rates and samplers.

So, I use a lot of various samplers and instruments (Superior Drummer 2, Nexus, BFD2, etc etc) with almost all of the samples being at 44.1/24

However, I'm considering jumping to 48k/24 for recording. I rarely use anything besides 44.1 before. How do instruments / plugins cope with SRs that are different than the Project's sample rate?

Do they upsample/downsample each one in real time? And if so, wouldn't this cause a considerable hit in sound quality, or latency, especially when dealing with lots of samples?

Thanks!
Old 26th August 2009
Gear Maniac

bump... couldnt find much info on this.
Old 27th August 2009
Gear Maniac

no bites eh? :(
Old 27th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaero View Post
bump... couldnt find much info on this.
Bumpthumbsup
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Maniac

bump again, still curious about this :P
Old 26th October 2009
Daft
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Not really the answer I was looking for.
Old 27th October 2009
You will have to try it for yourself - trust nothing but your own ears on this. With various VSTi in Cubase I have noticed extreme differences/problems when changing samples rates. Some are ok - others can really suck with the higher sample rates. It's weird - but you have to hear it for yourself.

You will be forcing the DAW to use it's internal SRC algorithm (sample rate conversion), and it's fairly well documented that there are weaknesses with most DAW SRC. Some are better than others, and most are not on a par with professional SRC programs.

With samples, you could possibly convert all your samples with a quality SRC program first (sounds like hard work).

What you might consider is finding out which project sample rate (and bit depth) yields the best sounding tracks with which VSTi, and then using different project rates to render to audio. Then use a quality SRC program to convert the rendered tracks into the new project.

You may find you have to do nothing at all - but listen for yourself.

You could also consider syncing up multiple PCs so they can run at different sample rates, and resample in the analog domain. (Good opportunity to insert some analog processing). This is pretty much the same as recording the audio output of a hardware sampler (the other PC/s function as an external hardware box). The sound of the converters can be a fundamental part of a sampler's sound - a little bit of analog goodness. Or not.

At least you are aware there could be issues ...
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Maniac

It uses the DAW's internal SRC algos? Its not actually a part of the virtual instrument?

Lets say for example, I use Ocean Way Drum samples... 24/48 in a 24/44.1 project. The DAW is resampling those in real time? Or is (in this case) Kontakt?

If its the DAW resampling, then wouldn't the project sound different in PT/Cubase/etc because they all use diff SRC algos. (Theres a nifty website somewhere with freq responses of the differences)? But if its the actual instrument doing the resampling, then at least it would translate from DAW to DAW seamlessly. Also, what about real time SRC and latency/quality issues?

Luckily, most of the samples I use are 44.1k :P
Old 27th October 2009
Now that you mention it, i'm not 100% certain whether the SRC would be done within the VSTi or the DAW. My guess is the DAW, because I can't imagine plugin designers have to code the SRC - I am presuming that is all handled by the DAW's VST interface.

My point is purely from a practical user's perspective: i've tried some of my VSTi at high sample rates and some of them sucked bad.
Old 27th October 2009
And yes, I have heard big sonic differences between different DAWs loaded on the exact same PC, with the exact same monitoring chain.

Unlike others, I don't think the difference I heard was due to the summing bus. I expect it had far more to do with the way the same VSTi signals are processed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search