The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where can I learn the skills to...
Old 25th August 2009
Gear Head

Where can I learn the skills to...

develop hardware like Apogee, Neve, etc?

I have a budding interest in this field and would like to know how I can further my knowledge. What major would be most appropiate? Electrical Engineering? Say I wanted to work for Apogee in developing their hardware products, where can I learn the skills needed?

Thanks for your advice!

Brice
Old 25th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice View Post
develop hardware like Apogee, Neve, etc?

I have a budding interest in this field and would like to know how I can further my knowledge. What major would be most appropiate? Electrical Engineering? Say I wanted to work for Apogee in developing their hardware products, where can I learn the skills needed?

Thanks for your advice!

Brice
That would be electrical engineering.. there are many great schools
out there. Unless you were pre-wired at the factory like Massenburg ;-)

jeff
ps: I'm just a lowly Physics major ;-)
Old 25th August 2009
Gear Head

Electrical Engineering is probably where you want to be. It also depends on what particular focus within those products you want. Do you want to be designing new circuits for gear or writing the software for gear (where applicable). For hardware type stuff, a circuits concentration within EE is good. For software type stuff a DSP concentration is probably more useful. Regardless of what route you take, I would recommend taking as many courses as possible in the area of computer engineering, which is essentially writing software for hardware. It is useful knowledge. I hope that helps/make sense.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search