The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Would you take on someone from a recording school?
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Nut

Would you take on someone from a recording school?

No, I'm not looking for a job! Err...not yet anyway.

Having been a former student (& later out of desperation, staff member) of SAE, it was funny that I got a job the moment I removed any references to the fact I'd been anywhere near the place! It got me a lot of criticism from studio owners & managers I spoke to and I felt it put me at the 'bottom of the pile' so to speak.

Anyway, I will need to take someone on at my new shop and there are loads of AE courses around here, but I'm not sure if I neccessarily want someone who's been 'educated' in this manner.

What d'yall think?

Crispy
Old 6th May 2003
Mindreader

One of the best assistants I ever had was 10 years ago, some guy who had come straight out of the Tonmeister course. I was his first Pro session. I find that wierd 'cos when I look back 10 years ago I think i didn't know what I was doing myself!

He was one of the best assistants, we all remember him, it was at some big residential place.

He had a name you couldn't forget. Richard Bottom. Of course that translated to Dick Bottom. Oh well, he's probably changed his name to Eric now or something.

So, my one and only experience with someone out of one of those 'kind' of places was good.

SAE may be a bit more 'chancer' -ish. You pay to go in, so it's in their interests to make sure you spend money and pass - whatever that means.

Hey, if you employ one of these people, at least you get to beat it out of them
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear