Gear Addict

Korby Audio/The Convertible

http://www.vintageking.com/new_detai...nventoryID=484

anyone heard this?

ml
Old 6th May 2003
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Addict

The sound of these things is amazing. The build quality is top notch.

I've never actually heard a real C12 but I can only assume it's right on. Even so - just looking at it as a 'new' tube mic (with the added bonus of being able to hot-swap the capsules) it certainly gives you a broad palate to work with.

I talked with Nadine Korby prior to trying these out. She was very helpful and also said they could change the sound of any capsule to better suit my needs.
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

I have not yet heard this new mic system, but I have done business with the Korbys for many years; both repairs/restorations of vintage mics, and purchasing of Tracy's earlier CM3 mics for the studio I ran. Without saying a word about the mics themselves, Tracy and Nadine are great people, and Tracy's work is just excellent.

I've used the CM3 routinely alongside a U47, and my M49 and ELA M251. While it is certainly not a "clone" of any of them (and wasn't intended to be), it is clearly of a quality that makes it a ready contender when chosing a LD condenser of that ilk for vocals, drums, guitars, percussion, horns, etc.. I'm planning on buying one or two of these convertible mics whenever I get around to mic shopping again ($$ is going to baby furniture these days)

-dave
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Addict

Whoa.....Glearslut red alert. Drool imminent.
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

the true gearslut would go for vintage king's "package #3" on their special's page:

--------------------------------------------------------
Package 3

• "The Convertible" By Korby Audio Technologies. Four capsules, one mic! (Elam 251, Neumann U-47, AKG C-12, Neumann U-67). The Neuman U-47 and AKG C-12 classics are included. Additional heads can be purchased any time!

• Chandler TG-1 Limiter (power supply included)

• Chandler TG-2 Pre Amp (power supply included)

Only $9,138
---------------------------------------------------------

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19th May 2003
Gear Maniac

So can somebody who has used this mic give a review and let us know about the different capsules and how they compare to the original mics?

Thanks.
Old 21st May 2003
Here for the gear

So, are they actually shipping? I'd love to hear one. I'd probably be most interested in the 67, 47 and C12 (since I already have a 251) - especially since the AKG C-12 "reissue" (yeah RIGHT tutt ) IMO sounds nothing like a good C-12.
Old 24th May 2003
Gear Maniac

So who has used this mic? What are your impressions?
Old 25th May 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh

As far as sheer, shallow gearslutiness goes... there's something I like about the flight case if you buy the full capsule set.
Not to mention the wonderful wood cases for the individual capsules. It's as though you are opening up something sacred.heh
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Korby Test Drive

I had the opportunity to try the Korby Convertible Mic yesterday.

AMAZING!!! Seriously, I am so glad that I took the time yesterday to test drive this mic. I had my M149 for A/B and I can say that the 67 capsule blew it away. Follow quite closely by the 251 capsule. The C12 was open and pristine. While the 47 capsule on this particular singer just didn't give her the presence that I was after.

What a flexible system!! Each capsule changed the mood/tone/color of the track. We used the Chandler LTD1 (1073 pres) and the TG2 EMI pres and the 2-610 UA, Geoff Daking.

My favorite setup was the LTD1 (great EQ) and Korby 67 capsule.

As soon as I pay some of the stuff that I picking up I will get a Korby Convertible. For $6,000 I can have around $50k worth of mic colors and choices....this is simply and IQ Test...

Thanks to Jeffrey from Vintage King for driving out from LA for the shootup. Great service guys!!

Quote:
Life is change. Growth is optional. We must choose wisely.
Old 29th May 2003
Gear Maniac

I am VERY interested in this mic. Any more impressions would be most helpful to me.

I'm curious how this mic changes its colors by just changing the capsule. Because isn't a C12 and 251 the exact same capsule just different electronics somewhat?

How different was the 251 from the C12?

I am looking at possibly getting the 67 and 251 capsules. What do you think Mojava? Are their multiple patterns?

Thanks.
Old 30th May 2003
Gear Maniac

Korby

Mike:

I can say that to my ears the C12 capsule was very transparent, open on the high end for sure! Very pleasing in all respects. The 251 capsule added a sort of hard (for me) to quantify energy to vocal. Sort of hyping it in the middle a little more yet maintaining the highs of the C12. JMHO.

I believe that 2 of the 4 capsules do have the ability to change patterns unfortunately I was in the control room most of the time and did not inspect each of the capsules as closely as I should have. For me I will get the system this summer sometime. It has so much to offer. I wish that I could a/b them each against their inspired originals, but for my ears...the Korby is an outstanding value. If I run accross a client that MUST have an original they can rent it!

I think that system does what it has set out to do. The sound at a fraction of the price withou compromising quality.

"Life is change. Growth is optional. We must choose wisely."
Old 30th May 2003
Gear Maniac

korby..again

Mike:

My favorite capsule was the 251 UNTIL I heard the 67 on my particular female vocalist. IT FILLED THE ROOM. No kidding it was one of those moments where the light bulb goes off and you realize "that's it" that is the sound that I was hearing in my head for her.

It was very interesting because my holy grail mike has always been to own a U47 and that day on this particular singer with the above mentioned pres the 47 capsule was not my first choice...not by a long shot. Interesting....

I like the whole system concept of modularity it seems that Korby has been tweaking the original mics for years who better than him would now what they sound like and how to emulate/reproduce them in this creative approach. Also, I beleive that they are working on realeasing different FET version bodies that the capsules will interfase with...

regards,
Old 30th May 2003
Gear Addict

The 47 and the 251 heads are configured for cardiod only.

The 67 and the 12 heads will operate patterns via the power supply.
Old 30th May 2003
Lives for gear

So how exactly is this different than the Blue Bottle?
Old 31st May 2003
Gear Maniac

Ok this has definately peaked my interest.. I have a soundelux U95s now as my king in my collection however...would you guys consider selling the u95s for this? obviously there is a huge gap in price but i really love the idea of this and if the capsules are the real deal even better...

I have never heard a blue bottle in person but I have heard recordings of all the blue mics... and I remember concluding that (atleast in those recordings) the blue bottle had some artificial thing going on in the highs that I just didn't care for...especially since I was looking for something natural in the highs but that still had airyness...hence I ended up with the soundelux... my plan was to check out the stephen paul mic but I thought it was going to be out months ago...

Can anyone post some .wavs of recordings used with this mic and the different capsules...

oh yeh... and anyone interested in a group order... with a special gearslut price?

HOLYTOMALLY!!

HEY HOW ABOUT A GROUP BUYS SECTION!!

Perhaps there are things that each of us are going to order and maybe we can even do directs from the manufacture on items like this!!!!

Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by etherize

oh yeh... and anyone interested in a group order... with a special gearslut price?

HEY HOW ABOUT A GROUP BUYS SECTION!!

Perhaps there are things that each of us are going to order and maybe we can even do directs from the manufacture on items like this!!!!
It might be worth a try, but most manufacturers who deal with retailers will only sell to the end-user at list price. This is to encourage customers to use their retailers, from whom you can usually get a better price than the list that the manufacturer will give you.

But the group buy idea could still work. As an alternative, you could shop around for the lowest retailer's price on the Korby, then ask how much lower the unit price would be if ten orders (or however many) were placed simultaneously. I'm sure you could finagle a deeper discount that way from someone.
Old 31st May 2003
Lives for gear

a. that mic is only sold by vintage king. exlusive.

b. support your local gearslut dealers!!! mercenary, atlas, etc. c'mon fellas.
Old 2nd June 2003
Whelp,

I ordered my Korby convertible on Friday. Mike at Vintageking said that I was the 4th one he'd sold that day! I guessing the ad in the new mix hasn't hurt sales. He also hinted that the price may go up in the near future.

Anyhow, I haven't heard it personally, but a friend I really respect used it and he was blown away. Although it wasn't a true A/B test, he said the Korby with the 67m capsule sounded just like his 67. Also, I'm sure if I'm not happy with it, they'll take it back. They claim that nobody has yet to return a mic.

We'll see.......

- Kent
Old 3rd June 2003
Lives for gear

I was all set to buy a Lawson L47MP. The Korby looks damn inviting though. Any idea how the Korby 47 compares to the Lawson?

I've also noticed that Vintage Loop advertises the Korby for $5,400 for the whole set.
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Never heard of Vintage Loop. Has anyone ever dealt w/ them?
Old 4th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Ok so far I have heard a couple of things about this mic... one person I think wasn't reffering to this mic but a korby 251? but he said something that it did not sound like the 251 especially in the highs... another person said that the 47 was not the best capsule for it though it did sound fine but that the soundelux u95s/e47 sounded a bit better for that kind of sound...however he said the 67 was phenomal and might be the best mic (atleast for his voice) he has ever heard ( and he gone through alot!) I would have to sell my u95s to afford this and even at that it would be hard...any truth to this price increase?
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Oops!
Old 11th June 2003
Gear Maniac

Korby Price Increase

The price increase will soon be taking effect according to the guys at Vintage King and it looks like it will be around $900 +(us) more.

BTW, I ordered mine today with four capsules. I also spoke with Korby's wife who said that they can modify the U47 capsule to fit my liking, so what more could I ask for. I am in the cue to get one.

I am sooo excited. I can't wait to use it and actually own such a great system.

Sincerely,

Mojava
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
and it looks like it will be around $900 +(us)
Old 11th June 2003
Lives for gear

I just ordered the full meal deal from Vintage Loop. The owner, Robert Payne, sounds like a nice guy. They are selling the convertible at the old price of $5,400 until Friday.

I'll now be paying off this credit card for the rest of my natural life.
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Maniac

till friday? oh well :(
Old 12th June 2003
Gear Addict

Re: Korby Test Drive

Quote:
Originally posted by mojava
Thanks to Jeffrey from Vintage King for driving out from LA for the shootup. Great service guys!!
I'm assuming you meant shootout, but in this case shootup is probably more appropriate!! This sure does look great, especially that package #3... whoa
Old 12th June 2003
Here for the gear

hear it for yourself

Hey Heros and Villians! The Korby mic rules, and I am not only saying that because I push 'em. I am in the same boat as most of ya'll...small studio, small budget etc, and after working with this mic for a few months it is where I am going to spend my allowance. If you are in the LA area I can bring one by so you can check it out for yourself and if you are in San Francisco I have been looking for an excuse to grab a burrito a Faralito...so I would venture up there as well. If you are not in CA or Near Detroit. Vintage King has demos that can be shipped any where.
drop me a line, I'll hook you up.
[email protected]
now, which smiley face should I choose?.....

p.s. Vintage King is exclusive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search