The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I'M BACK ! After a very tough year, I'm back to making music and back to GS...!!!
Old 19th August 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

I'M BACK ! After a very tough year, I'm back to making music and back to GS...!!!

How's everybody been ? I don't even remember when I last posted, lots of new faces around here...

Just to share with you guys that I had one of my most challenging years in this business for reasons that were beyond my reach and not of my doing...

After one of my Publishers suddenly passed away last year, I found out he had co-published many of my songs with another Publisher. This publisher whom I never met did not want to return my material back to me when I asked....hence an ugly battle ensued.

This has been a long and painful situation that almost led me to quit the business for good and stopped me in my tracks. I haven't written a new song in almost 10 months which is a new record for me.

As a result, I had to resort to other income which strayed me away from my music even further, it was depressing to say the least.

Finally, it all got resolved as most of my songs had reached their reversion clause and I got them all back in the end. I could even post some of my original demos on the web which I couldn't before.

Now with a good friend and Publisher gone who really liked my songs and believed in me, I have to start all over again. I still have a few songs with other publishers but this was my main guy and I will miss him.

I hope you guys have been hanging in there and had a better year than I did. Hopefully the worst is behind me and it's all downhill from here...

Cheers...
Old 19th August 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Jimbo's Avatar
Welcome back, and good luck with your new situation.
Old 19th August 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
I've missed your insights as to how all of our discussions relate to the business of writing songs.

Welcome back.
Old 19th August 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I've missed your insights as to how all of our discussions relate to the business of writing songs.

Welcome back.
Yes, we all had some pretty good discussions and I missed talking about my passion and sharing my experience with all of you.

I had to dig down deep this past few months and the thought of losing 10-12 of my favorite songs to somebody I've never met was an awful thought.

It was a very long story that would take me a long time to explain but it ended to my favor in the end. It almost killed me though...
Old 19th August 2009
  #5
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Welcome back! Sorry you had to go through all those travails. but maybe it made you stronger and wiser in the end?
Old 19th August 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
BudgetMC's Avatar
Welcome back! Now onwards!
Old 19th August 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Welcome back! Sorry you had to go through all those travails. but maybe it made you stronger and wiser in the end?
Thanks Henry,

Definitely stronger and maybe a little wiser. It all happened so sudden I never saw it coming.

I am now in my studio trying to remember how all my equipment works...

I swear it's been that long...and I hardly played my guitars or even attempted to begin to write something. I guess I'm not a good songwriter when I'm feeling depressed. I'm much better when I'm happy and I'm slowly getting there...
Old 19th August 2009
  #8
Gear Guru
 
henryrobinett's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
Thanks Henry,

Definitely stronger and maybe a little wiser. It all happened so sudden I never saw it coming.

I am now in my studio trying to remember how all my equipment works...

I swear it's been that long...and I hardly played my guitars or even attempted to begin to write something. I guess I'm not a good songwriter when I'm feeling depressed. I'm much better when I'm happy and I'm slowly getting there...
I really think most people can't really write when they're depressed. It generally comes when they begin to see the light of day again, and then are able to write about it. Sometimes you can in the throes of a failed romantic affair, but even then. When you're truly down you can't do jack **** but maybe move from sofa to sofa.

Glad you're back.
Old 19th August 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Lifted's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
How's everybody been ? I don't even remember when I last posted, lots of new faces around here...

Just to share with you guys that I had one of my most challenging years in this business for reasons that were beyond my reach and not of my doing...

After one of my Publishers suddenly passed away last year, I found out he had co-published many of my songs with another Publisher. This publisher whom I never met did not want to return my material back to me when I asked....hence an ugly battle ensued.

This has been a long and painful situation that almost led me to quit the business for good and stopped me in my tracks. I haven't written a new song in almost 10 months which is a new record for me.

As a result, I had to resort to other income which strayed me away from my music even further, it was depressing to say the least.

Finally, it all got resolved as most of my songs had reached their reversion clause and I got them all back in the end. I could even post some of my original demos on the web which I couldn't before.

Now with a good friend and Publisher gone who really liked my songs and believed in me, I have to start all over again. I still have a few songs with other publishers but this was my main guy and I will miss him.

I hope you guys have been hanging in there and had a better year than I did. Hopefully the worst is behind me and it's all downhill from here...

Cheers...
I'm sorry about your friend man. New life is almost always an obstacle, but change is not always bad, and obstacles will pass with time and effort.

Keep your head up
Old 19th August 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I really think most people can't really write when they're depressed. It generally comes when they begin to see the light of day again, and then are able to write about it. Sometimes you can in the throes of a failed romantic affair, but even then. When you're truly down you can't do jack **** but maybe move from sofa to sofa.

Glad you're back.
Funny you mentioned that...best song I ever wrote was about 7 years ago when I got divorced and was pretty down.

It was the last day I was home before I was moving out and I went to kiss my 6 year old daughter goodnight while she was sleeping. I broke down sitting on the bedside while she slept and the most beutiful words just came into my head, it was almost surreal. The song just wrote itself and I immediately wrote those words the next day and put some chords to it.

When my Publisher heard the song he immediately wanted it so I made a demo of it. This is my most special song that I ever wrote and it was one of the songs this guy had and wouldn't return. I thought I can handle losing any song except that one, it was too close to my heart, especially the way it came to me.

I'm so glad I got my songs back, I'll have to let you guys listen to some of them now that they're mine again...
Old 19th August 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
The MPCist's Avatar
 

Welcome Dreamsong!!

Sorry to hear about the hell you went through the last year -- I can relate to it since I've worked with some publishers that really.... oh well, I won't go there! hehehehe

It's great to be writing songs now!! Especially with Pro Tools 8 or Logic 9 -- lots of new software toys to inspire you as well!!
Old 19th August 2009
  #12
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Welcome Dreamsong!!

Sorry to hear about the hell you went through the last year -- I can relate to it since I've worked with some publishers that really.... oh well, I won't go there! hehehehe

It's great to be writing songs now!! Especially with Pro Tools 8 or Logic 9 -- lots of new software toys to inspire you as well!!
Thanks...I have a lot of catching up to do. It's tough when you take a break, I feel like I have to re-learn all the things I used to do automatically...heh
Old 19th August 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
How's everybody been ? I don't even remember when I last posted, lots of new faces around here...

Just to share with you guys that I had one of my most challenging years in this business for reasons that were beyond my reach and not of my doing...

After one of my Publishers suddenly passed away last year, I found out he had co-published many of my songs with another Publisher. This publisher whom I never met did not want to return my material back to me when I asked....hence an ugly battle ensued.

This has been a long and painful situation that almost led me to quit the business for good and stopped me in my tracks. I haven't written a new song in almost 10 months which is a new record for me.

As a result, I had to resort to other income which strayed me away from my music even further, it was depressing to say the least.

Finally, it all got resolved as most of my songs had reached their reversion clause and I got them all back in the end. I could even post some of my original demos on the web which I couldn't before.

Now with a good friend and Publisher gone who really liked my songs and believed in me, I have to start all over again. I still have a few songs with other publishers but this was my main guy and I will miss him.

I hope you guys have been hanging in there and had a better year than I did. Hopefully the worst is behind me and it's all downhill from here...

Cheers...
welcome back. I'm still here raising hell.
seriously welcome back. You are one of my favorite gear slutz
Old 19th August 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
welcome back. I'm still here raising hell.
seriously welcome back. You are one of my favorite gear slutz
Thanks for that....I appreciate it...
Old 19th August 2009
  #15
Here for the gear
 
Pippo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
How's everybody been ? I don't even remember when I last posted, lots of new faces around here...

Just to share with you guys that I had one of my most challenging years in this business for reasons that were beyond my reach and not of my doing...

After one of my Publishers suddenly passed away last year, I found out he had co-published many of my songs with another Publisher. This publisher whom I never met did not want to return my material back to me when I asked....hence an ugly battle ensued.

This has been a long and painful situation that almost led me to quit the business for good and stopped me in my tracks. I haven't written a new song in almost 10 months which is a new record for me.

As a result, I had to resort to other income which strayed me away from my music even further, it was depressing to say the least.

Finally, it all got resolved as most of my songs had reached their reversion clause and I got them all back in the end. I could even post some of my original demos on the web which I couldn't before.

Now with a good friend and Publisher gone who really liked my songs and believed in me, I have to start all over again. I still have a few songs with other publishers but this was my main guy and I will miss him.

I hope you guys have been hanging in there and had a better year than I did. Hopefully the worst is behind me and it's all downhill from here...

Cheers...
Hey dreamsongs!

Kinda new here, but anyway...

Sorry to hear about your friend, and as a fellow songwriter, I can really relate to the confusion and struggle that ensues after realizing your publisher isn't what you thought they were. Only just found out my publisher isn't really holding up his end of our deal.

Hopefully now, with some perspective on the ordeal, you will write the best songs in your life (and own them yourself..)

Always good to hear about people bouncing back!
/Pip
Old 19th August 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippo View Post
Hey dreamsongs!

Kinda new here, but anyway...

Sorry to hear about your friend, and as a fellow songwriter, I can really relate to the confusion and struggle that ensues after realizing your publisher isn't what you thought they were. Only just found out my publisher isn't really holding up his end of our deal.

Hopefully now, with some perspective on the ordeal, you will write the best songs in your life (and own them yourself..)

Always good to hear about people bouncing back!
/Pip
Thanks for the words...
Old 19th August 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
How's everybody been ? I don't even remember when I last posted, lots of new faces around here...


Cheers...
Welcome back. I am mostly a song writer too. So the more song writers the better. IMO.
Old 20th August 2009
  #18
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Welcome back. I am mostly a song writer too. So the more song writers the better. IMO.
Thanks...
I'll be posting more as soon as I get my act together here...
Old 26th August 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
C Heat's Avatar
 

Glad you're back man.

Sorry to hear about all that's happened. Life is damn hard sometimes.

I'd love to hear that song you wrote about your daughter—I got a shiver when I read that. I'm sure it's a great song.

Onwards and upwards my friend.

Old 26th August 2009
  #20
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
Glad you're back man.

Sorry to hear about all that's happened. Life is damn hard sometimes.

I'd love to hear that song you wrote about your daughter—I got a shiver when I read that. I'm sure it's a great song.

Onwards and upwards my friend.

Hi Grant. Next day aussie time right ? I knew I'd find you here around this time. lol

I just setup this myspace for friends and family. It's got some of the demos that I got back from my Publisher and a couple of songs that I completed just before my problems began. The new ones are one year old already, I still can't believe how fast this past year has gone for me. I guess I was too busy fighting for my life...

The one you're referring to is called "Don't stop drawing me" and it's the original demo that this Publisher heard when he came to visit me from L.A. There's some parts where I go off completely off the click track (hate those things) but he wanted a demo of the song right away so I sent him this one because it was my most heartfelt vocal performance. Also, in this version my daughter and I have a spoken part at the end which makes it even more special for me.

I'll probably go back and redo some parts but it was my first attempt at this song and actually one of my favorite renditions aside from the timing issues. Listen to it and tell me if you can tell...

The rest of the songs are demos for different projects, these were all under contract and now they're mine again. It's good to have the freedom to post songs without someone giving you sh*t...

Here you go...

Marcel Agnolin on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 26th August 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 
fhames's Avatar
 

You may have left music for a minute but once it has come through you, it will never leave you. Welcome back.







Bryant - Hames Music
Old 26th August 2009
  #22
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhames View Post
You may have left music for a minute but once it has come through you, it will never leave you. Welcome back.


Bryant - Hames Music
Thanks, good to be back...
Old 26th August 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
C Heat's Avatar
 

Hey Marcel.

Yeah, just had lunch here

Hey, was GREAT to hear your songs man. Thanks for the link and sharing.

I loved "Don't stop drawing me". I really felt it. I loved the spoken parts at the end. Very nice

I also really enjoyed "I Know A Place".

"Close Your Eyes" was probably my fave.

"I went to sleep and got my wake up call" - nice!

"I Want To Be On Top" is a great title heh
Old 26th August 2009
  #24
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Heat View Post
Hey Marcel.

Yeah, just had lunch here

Hey, was GREAT to hear your songs man. Thanks for the link and sharing.

I loved "Don't stop drawing me". I really felt it. I loved the spoken parts at the end. Very nice

I also really enjoyed "I Know A Place".

"Close Your Eyes" was probably my fave.

"I went to sleep and got my wake up call" - nice!

"I Want To Be On Top" is a great title heh

Thanks Grant,

Glad you liked them...I can see you're a romantic by your song choices.

I'm off to bed now, got up too early this morning. We'll catch up again tomorrow and continue the conversation...
Old 26th August 2009
  #25
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

It can be a hard lesson when you learn what you have signed away of yourself.

While you want to make money doing what you love to do, far too many very smart
musicians are not aware of how much control they give away when they sign a publishing contract.

For some like me, that temporary day job has lasted 28 years.

I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue and get back to working on your craft.
Old 26th August 2009
  #26
Gear Addict
 
Levi's Avatar
 

Great to see you back... I missed that avitar! lol :-) Hope all is well and productive!!!
Old 26th August 2009
  #27
Lives for gear
 
dreamsongs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
It can be a hard lesson when you learn what you have signed away of yourself.

While you want to make money doing what you love to do, far too many very smart
musicians are not aware of how much control they give away when they sign a publishing contract.

For some like me, that temporary day job has lasted 28 years.

I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue and get back to working on your craft.
I'm fortunate that I got my songs back, some of these songs were amongst my faves.

It was a surreal situation because I found out about a co-publishing deal that I didn't know existed. When the Publisher that I had a deal with suddenly passed away, I found out most of my songs had been co-published with another Publisher.

I assume he did that while he was alive and it probably would've been a good idea to have 2 guys pitch your songs but when he died it all got really complicated. I didn't know the other Publisher and had no working relationship with him so I had to start dealing with him on a one on one basis and we didn't always get along or had the same goals. It went form bad to worse and when I asked him to return the songs to me he wouldn't, then it got real ugly...

It took almost one year to get this resolved and I didn't write one freaking song the entire time, I was kind of depressed that I lost about 15 songs to a guy I never met and didn't seem to really care that much except to build his catalog so he could then sell it for a profit. That's what it was all about...

I wish I could say that it was my fault and would never make the same mistake but unfortunately, things go on behind the scenes that you are not aware off. One of those rare things that probably would never happen again at least not this way.

Now I got to get back to my writing which won't be easy. I feel a bit of a writer's block going on lately but hopefully I can get my creative juices flowing again...
Old 26th August 2009
  #28
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

Welcome to your new found awareness.

May your love for song writing never feel too much like work.

I was FIYERD from an up and coming band in the midst of contract negotiations
for pointing out the similarities between the contract they were offering and
that now famous John Fogarty contract.

We own the masters, we own the songs, we own the lyrics, and if our agreement
ends,.............
we STILL own the songs for another 5 years and you can not sell them, perform them
or even sing them to your own dang self because it all belongs to the publisher.

Never let anyone talk you into selling your soul.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump