The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
headphones for tracking
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

headphones for tracking

hey

i work alone in my studio and therefore need headphones for setting up the mics in the control room. i'd like them to be as ´closed as possible - reducing the live signal as much as possible. but i also need them to be of the highest sound quality so that i can find the right mic positions.
what would you suggest?

cheers
jakob
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

It's hard to beat the AKG K240s.

They sound good.
The leakage is bearable.
They are relatively durable.
They are fairly easy to repair when they do get broken.
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Maniac

I'd suggest Sennheiser HD280's. Good isolation and not too expensive. Oh yeah, they sound pretty good too.
Old 18th August 2009
Jai guru deva om

Extreme Isolation headphones are good for this.

The Sennheiser HD280 do well also, and sound more hi-fi.

War
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

thanx guys

which one would be the most neutral sounding?
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

Headphones are really made to price points so that's something to think about. The cheapest I've found that sound like my moniters (JBL LSR32's) without the typical headphone exagerated stereo field are the Equation RP-21's and they sell for just under a $100 a pair. I think they are great neutral tracking phones and since you also want to set mic positions with them on it's something I'd put on my "listen to a pair" list as you are trying to get what you hear in your control room in a set of phones.
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Addict

Just for tracking I use a cheapy $20 pair of Sony's from Walmart. Of course for mixing I use a nice set of nearfields.

Justin
Old 18th August 2009
Here for the gear

Have a look Audio Tecnicas ATHM50s. Their really nice. Honest enough and not to expensive.

I don't think AKG's 240 is the right headphone since it's not a closed one. You do want something that's closed for that duty.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

price is not an issue for me in this case.
i really want the best thing available. i need accurate bass response to tell the proximity effect etc...
but i also need extreme isolation. being able to hear just the hi hat mic when the drummer is playing the full kit. i know this is impossible, but id like to get as close as possible.
Old 18th August 2009
Here for the gear

Go have the ATHM50s a try =)

You might like them...
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

Since price is no object for you that opens the field. Just keep A/B' ing the closed headphones you are auditioning with your studio moniters. Keep the pair that matches the best, as your goal is to hear the same thing whether you have the phones on and move a mic yourself or you sit in the control room listening on moniters and have an assistant or musso move mics for you.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

I use the HD280's too. Not very flat but sound great while you're tracking. Good for another point of reference when mixing too.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear
Another +1 for the HD280's
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

BOSE QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones

cant stand other headphones since i bought a pair!!!

QuietComfort 3 Noise Cancelling Headphones - Noise Reduction Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Maniac

hd280's all the way. a little lacking in the low end (when i first started mixing on them I would always overcompensate a little for bass)but really great sounding headphones. also, they leak less than any pair I've ever used.
Old 2nd September 2009
Lives for gear

Can anyone comment on the amount of leakage on the HD280's compared with the ATH-M50's?

thanks,
Brad
Old 5th September 2009
Here for the gear

I have both HD280's and ATHM50's. I would say the leakage from them is about the same. The 280's have far more realistic bass than the M50s. They are actually well balanced overall. The low bass on the M50 is so boosted, it actually bothers listeners not used to it.

If you want extreme accuracy, the $300 Etymotic ER4S Ear Canal Phones are difficult to beat. They stick deep in your ears, so you normally can't return them. They are not cheap ear buds, but are more like hand made in USA calibrated lab equipment. They are so revealing, you will immediately hear everything wrong with your system, starting with the headphone amp and everything before it. Some people don't like them because they don't have the built in bass boost of typical consumer equipment, but they are accurate and Etymotic can prove it. The isolation from deeply inserted ear canal phones is much higher than closed headphones, and it can be made even higher by wearing airport or gun range ear muffs on top of them.
Old 5th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodent View Post
Go have the ATHM50s a try =)

You might like them...
+1! I also have a pair of the Ultrasone Pro 750s I like.
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

I've mentioned several times on this board that the HD280 PRO's have a complete lack of mid bass which makes them utterly useless for mixing (not what you asked about) but they're fine for tracking (what you asked about!).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search