The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL x desk owners reveal yourselfves!---pictures? ---opinions?---HOW IS IT?
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

SSL x desk owners reveal yourselfves!---pictures? ---opinions?---HOW IS IT?

I mean its a new product that everybody talked about ,but i havent seen a thread called "just boght my x desk and OMG".

So i invite you x desk owners to pop out and comment on this amazing piece of gear....

thanks!
Old 16th August 2009
Deleted 99dc753

For me the X desk is a sign that SSL recognized that no one needs a desk today anymore to get professional sound.
2 K in Euro and no 2 Bus compression....much overpriced IMO.

Trying to make the impression this is an real SSL ..... marketing hype.

The idea behind this is that you buy their SSL Outboard gear as well.
So you will end up at with an EQ for every channel and the bus compressor around 16 K in Euro if you buy all the stuff from SSL.

If you invest such a big amount of money it is worth to think about to get an nice refurbished Studer-Vintage desk as well as one SSL Bus compressor clone.

My guesswork with the SSL stuff is you pay a lot for the brand SSL.

It is like with Gibson or Martin Guitars.
People buy this stuff not because it sounds great they buy it because it has a Martin Logo on the head-plate.

Many times I was taking a brand new Morgan Guitar from Canada over any Martin in the shop.
Guess what the client bought the Martin.

And that is in my opinion the effect SSL is waiting for...."Wow I got an SSL in my bed room studio"

Just for summing and in-bounding some outboard I can have cheaper solutions than that one.
I would more tend to buy a cheap mackie as this overpriced toy.

It was not your question I know but this is may a reason why people are not hyping this unit....
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Mr.Holmes
Old 16th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post

For me the X desk is a sign that SSL recognized that no one needs a desk today anymore to get professional sound.

So you will end up at with an EQ for every channel and the bus compressor around 16 K in Euro if you buy all the stuff from SSL.

If you invest such a big amount of money it is worth to think about to get an nice refurbished Studer-Vintage desk as well as one SSL Bus compressor clone.

It is like with Gibson or Martin Guitars. People buy this stuff nor because it sounds great they buy it because it has a Martin Logo on the head-plate.

Just for summing and in-bounding some outboard I can have cheaper solutions than that one. I would more tend to buy a cheap mackie as this overpriced toy.

It was not your question I know but this is may a reason why people are not hyping this unit....
I happen to know that SSL are selling these faster than they can make them... so someone's buying them. Lots of people, in fact.

Personally, I think this is a GREAT little box, it's actually NOT a lot of money considering what you're getting and the fact that it's made in the UK, and it DOES sound great, logo or no logo.

I do not own one yet! But I am strongly considering it... if I don't buy a Matrix instead someday! stike
Old 16th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskolrud View Post
i-would-like-to-know-if-this-would-integrate-will-with
a-digi002???????

i-think-it-would-be-so-cool-to-use-the-8-faders-for-the-8-outs
on-protools-and-for-integrating-some-decent-outboard-into
the-mix.....

can-this-be-done???
i-know-its-made-for-16-channels-but-could-you-use-just-the-8-out-of
the-digi002-into-the-xdesk-and-send-one-track-to-each-channel...

any-info-would-be-much-appreciated!!!
Yep, this would work just fine!

And surely by now you could afford a new keyboard...!
Old 16th August 2009
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
I happen to know that SSL are selling these faster than they can make them... so someone's buying them. Lots of people, in fact.

Personally, I think this is a GREAT little box, it's actually NOT a lot of money considering what you're getting and the fact that it's made in the UK, and it DOES sound great, logo or no logo.

I do not own one yet! But I am strongly considering it... if I don't buy a Matrix instead someday! stike
Mh I am a bit afraid to buy such a postage stamp mixer without all the nice EQs by SSL.
Some musicians could start laughing about me.....

Sorry TERMINAL my retailer here in Berlin (Capitol of Germany) told me nothing is selling fast with the X-DESK. And his shop is the biggest shop in town as well as an SSL selling consultant.

I believe that all the older engineers which have worked with real SSL desks feel mucked about it.
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now THAT would have been amazing! Similar design but with the SSL buss comp build in!
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Surely nothing could sound better than mixing on the cheapest platform available with software faders and two channels of good conversion. If you want more control you can just spend 50 bucks on some plastic controller from maudio or something. Then you have better than an SSL for less than 200 dollars.

Then just get some plugins because that stuff sounds better than all of that old finicky hardware with cumbersome metering and un-mousable knobs.

And what about lack of recall with smelly old vintage gear ? Why the horror. The horror I am telling you. The only people that still use that analog gear for tracking/mixing are old monks in monasteries and the amish people recording their square dance barn parties.

Old 16th August 2009
Quote:
Mh I am a bit afraid to buy such a postage stamp mixer without all the nice EQs by SSL.
Some musicians could start laughing about me.....

Sorry TERMINAL my retailer here in Berlin (Capitol of Germany) told me nothing is selling fast with the X-DESK. And his shop is the biggest shop in town as well as an SSL selling consultant.

I believe that all the older engineers which have worked with real SSL desks feel mucked about it.
So what's your gripe exactly then? This costs a fraction of the price of what you consider to be a "real" SSL desk. And it's completely user-configurable. Prefer a Neve EQ on the send? No problem - and you haven't paid extra for the channel strips that you may or may not use anyway. You're not "locked in" to any particular configuration. It's not a console "replacement," nor is it supposed to be.

And I guess your retailer is just not very good at shifting them then, or for some reason people in Berlin aren't buying them, because I do know for fact they are selling. The desk has had great reviews in the UK music press as well.

Heaven forbid that SSL try to get something into the hands of project studios and small pro rooms that's actually inexpensive for what it is. I don't understand what you feel the need to complain about: they're not tricking you into thinking your getting something that you're not. Give it a try! I'm sure your dealer would be happy to let you spend some time with one to see if it fits your workflow. Then you can make an informed choice.
Old 17th August 2009
Deleted User
It would have been way more useful if they had included a mix bus compressor and automation/total recall and charged more for it... like $5k. It would have simply made more sense. At least you'd be getting that SSL mix bus sound with an all in one solution. Total recall would have been even better! One could hook up a few xracks and go.

Perhaps SSL can make an SE (special addition) with these features. Hook an SE up with an original and you'd have a beast with something ultra useful: g comp and recall.

EDIT: I mean you're not getting EQ/Filters/comps .... wow. I have an SSL. Put something in there that really adds value and charge more for it. Every summer seems to offer something "special"
Neve - transformer
API - op amp
dangerous - stellar imaging
speck - price point incredible sound
tube tech - lush tubes
etc etc
Old 17th August 2009
SSL UK

Quote:

People buy this stuff not because it sounds great they buy it because it has a Martin Logo on the head-plate.
Well I have to disagree. I really like Gibson acoustics and Martins age very well indeed. Plus if you spend half your life dreaming of owning a Martin, it would be difficult to persuade me that a brand I have never heard of may be better. After I buy the Martin, then sure I'll be up for buying something else!

Sam
Solid State Logic

P.S It's actually a Gibson acoustic I want, perhaps a CF-100E, hint for Santa.
Old 17th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
EDIT: I mean you're not getting EQ/Filters/comps .... wow. I have an SSL. Put something in there that really adds value and charge more for it. Every summer seems to offer something "special"
Neve - transformer
API - op amp
dangerous - stellar imaging
speck - price point incredible sound
tube tech - lush tubes
etc etc
why can't "SSL - superanalogue topology" be added to that list? I'd say it's a different flavour and useful in it's own right - the "sound" so to speak. if SSL is your thing then it makes sense. if not, move along...

Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would have been way more useful if they had included a mix bus compressor and automation/total recall and charged more for it... like $5k. It would have simply made more sense. At least you'd be getting that SSL mix bus sound with an all in one solution. Total recall would have been even better! One could hook up a few xracks and go.
Their chosen configuration is even better since it allows you to intergrate the 2bus comp of your choice. You can also use recallable X-Logic modules if you'd like, or any other outboard. What could be better? As for the recall, I wouldn't be surprised if a future 16 channel X-desk might intergrate it.
Old 17th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncskolrud View Post
i-would-like-to-know-if-this-would-integrate-will-with
a-digi002???????

i-think-it-would-be-so-cool-to-use-the-8-faders-for-the-8-outs
on-protools-and-for-integrating-some-decent-outboard-into
the-mix.....

can-this-be-done???
i-know-its-made-for-16-channels-but-could-you-use-just-the-8-out-of
the-digi002-into-the-xdesk-and-send-one-track-to-each-channel...

any-info-would-be-much-appreciated!!!
Haven't-you-bought-a-new-keyboard-yet?-Come-on-they're-only-$15!-Do-you-want-me-to-send-you-one?-It-would-be-worth-it-to-not-have-to-read-all-your-posts-with-the-damn-dashes!
Old 17th August 2009
Quote:

Many times I was taking a brand new Morgan Guitar from Canada over any Martin in the shop.
Guess what the client bought the Martin.

And that is in my opinion the effect SSL is waiting for...."Wow I got an SSL in my bed room studio"

Just for summing and in-bounding some outboard I can have cheaper solutions than that one.
I would more tend to buy a cheap mackie as this overpriced toy.

No, it's more likely due to the fact that they recognize that there's a HUGE market in amateur "sound engineers" that they want to sell to because their traditional customers are being driven out of business by people who can't tell the difference between a professionally engineered mix and something done in their bedroom.

And you want a 2-buss compressor? Give me a break!

If you REALLY want dynamics control on all the busses and channels for a mere $2000, get the Presonus StudioLive. Granted, it doesn't sport the SSL name. But hey, you're only paying 2 grand!

And it's not the NAME you pay for - it's the QUALITY and the RESALE VALUE!!!!
Old 17th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
Surely nothing could sound better than mixing on the cheapest platform available with software faders and two channels of good conversion. If you want more control you can just spend 50 bucks on some plastic controller from maudio or something. Then you have better than an SSL for less than 200 dollars.

Then just get some plugins because that stuff sounds better than all of that old finicky hardware with cumbersome metering and un-mousable knobs.

And what about lack of recall with smelly old vintage gear ? Why the horror. The horror I am telling you. The only people that still use that analog gear for tracking/mixing are old monks in monasteries and the amish people recording their square dance barn parties.

You, sir, are an idiot. (or a troll) (Hey, turnabout is fair play, right? You insult me, I insult you.)

The only people who still use analog gear are the few people left with functioning ears.

And my "smelly old analog desk" has full moving fader and mute automation.

"Un-mousable knobs"????? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can get a mix with my "un-mousable knobs" in 1/20th the time it takes you to wade through all your nested menus and windows and fiddle around with your low resolution mouse.

Dig it, junior - I have a 24 track real time i/o DAW that I hate using because it's TOO DAMN SLOW! Not to mention annoyingly imprecise. And it doesn't sound that great, compared to tape. It takes me SECONDS on my analog console to do what takes you MINUTES to do ITB. My knobs have INFINITE resolution - your mouse is limited to the resolution of your screen.

But the real kicker is the sound - if digital sounded so great then why are all you digital guys spending so much money on plugins that allege to fake that "analog tape warmth"????? Huh?????

Apologies for the rant to all the pros reading this. It's not aimed at you.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Now THAT would have been amazing! Similar design but with the SSL buss comp build in!
NO ****!! That would be amazing..... considering the price for JUST the buss comp is $2,200 + at least $500 for a mynx frame..... or $3,500 for the 19" rack unit....

Quote:
I am a bit afraid to buy such a postage stamp mixer without all the nice EQs by SSL
So add the EQ's at $850 a pop + X-Rack!?........ but wait... then it might be out of budget..... so you're gonna complain that it doesn't offer enough features for what you can afford?

Quote:
Why not a Neotek, Trident, Amek, ..... all within the same budget....... oh yeah, because the goal would be to go for more of an "SSL sound". A Studer desk aint gonna get you there, no matter how nice it might be. Not knockin' Studer desks, or especially their EQ's, but it AINT gonna sound like an SSL that's for sure.

FWIW, I really wish SSL had bumped up the price and added recall. Here's to hoping we'll see a mkII version. I'm sure they're selling enough of 'em to warrent a second version.
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You, sir, are an idiot.

The only people who still use analog gear are the few people left with functioning ears.

And my "smelly old analog desk" has full moving fader and mute automation.
I think he was being ironic - he probably loves hardware as much as the rest of us.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
You, sir, are an idiot. (or a troll) (Hey, turnabout is fair play, right? You insult me, I insult you.)

It was kinda ironic,in case you didn't notice!
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why are you so mean? How could you not get that joke?

I too am interested to hear some reviews of this product. Or, better yet, to hear a mix done with it.
Old 17th August 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
why can't "SSL - superanalogue topology" be added to that list? I'd say it's a different flavour and useful in it's own right - the "sound" so to speak. if SSL is your thing then it makes sense. if not, move along...

Ssl superanalogue isnt suppose to have a sound - that's why it's SA!
The g comp does have a sound ... That's why I mentioned this. It would have more value this way ... With total recal on faders and panning + g-comp. Charge 5 or 6 thousand.

In most ways, Speck is a better value because it is as clean, solidly buil and yet the consumer doesnt get crushed under the weight of GBP and normal profit.
Old 17th August 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Their chosen configuration is even better since it allows you to intergrate the 2bus comp of your choice. You can also use recallable X-Logic modules if you'd like, or any other outboard. What could be better? As for the recall, I wouldn't be surprised if a future 16 channel X-desk might intergrate it.
your final sentence makes my point. Why would you want the ssl console and not the mix bus and not the recall? I
Old 17th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I think he was being ironic - he probably loves hardware as much as the rest of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
It was kinda ironic,in case you didn't notice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank View Post
Why are you so mean? How could you not get that joke?

I too am interested to hear some reviews of this product. Or, better yet, to hear a mix done with it.
OK, so I was a humorless old fart. My bad....... I just took it in the context of other people knocking the console.

I think it's great that SSL is selling a baby console at that very reasonable price point - I'll probably never buy one - it's too small for me - except maybe to use as a sidecar - but I still think it's great. I also think it's great that they left off the 2 buss comp - too many people these days use it as a crutch to cover bad mixing technique. Not to mention the fact that including it would have doubled the price of the console.
Old 17th August 2009
Deleted User
All I'm saying is, you'll need a pile of outboard for the mojo people are hoping this board will deliver. What people associate with ssl comes from a console and experienced hands. If you want super clean, Speck is a better value. That's all I'm saying. I have an xrack full of comps and a g comp ... I love SSL for sure $10k worth of love. The x desk with an xrack of summing mods makes more sense because even without EQ or compression, you get all the separation that adds dimension to a mix.

However, API, Neve have a sound inherent to the design.
Old 17th August 2009
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
No, it's more likely due to the fact that they recognize that there's a HUGE market in amateur "sound engineers" that they want to sell to because their traditional customers are being driven out of business by people who can't tell the difference between a professionally engineered mix and something done in their bedroom.

And you want a 2-buss compressor? Give me a break!

If you REALLY want dynamics control on all the busses and channels for a mere $2000, get the Presonus StudioLive. Granted, it doesn't sport the SSL name. But hey, you're only paying 2 grand!

And it's not the NAME you pay for - it's the QUALITY and the RESALE VALUE!!!!
John I know it I was just a bit sarcastic about this product.
But this tells us as well that digital is not too bad and people think how they can save money.... anyway myself I also would love to own a nice desk and you know what ....sometimes I write good songs and I mix them at a friends place.

So some people get me wrong here I know that SSL is an industry standard and I know they are loved for what they do....and they make outstanding gear no question.

But I do not understand what they want to tell me with this little tiny thing with their brand on it? Can you explain me this? Does this gives me the sound of an large format SSL console.....? I guess no!!!

I do not understand why a brand that is famous for consoles leaves the console concept for small business studios?

So now you can buy the matrix or this tiny little mixer and buy all the EQs and comps extra.

So why not making a concept 16 CH a usable EQ on every channel and a mix bus comp about 9-10 K overall.
All in one desk ready for using for small places and low budget producers.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Not to piss on peoples parades of conjecture here but has anyone actually bought/used one yet???

Wiggy
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Perhaps SSL can make an SE (special addition) with these features. Hook an SE up with an original and you'd have a beast with something ultra useful: g comp and recall.....
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The x desk with an xrack of summing mods makes more sense because even without EQ or compression, you get all the separation that adds dimension to a mix.
Not sure that you would need summing modules if you have an X-Desk. The Desk is like having 2 x 4 input mods, 1 x 8 input, master. Plus monitor controler, talk back, and extensive routing.... things that you don't get with the X-Logic modules. It seems like another option, suitable depending on how you work.

The Speck is great, but a different product (much less extensive routing, talkback, etc).

If the X-Desk isn't for you, it isn't for you.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

i think this mixer is a good idea and fits a niche. many people already have outboard eq's and more than one buss comp that they are attached to so why include all that in this little mixer? i wouldn't want to pay for all that stuff if i don't need it.

i think this mixer would be great for tracking synths and monitoring and then summing.

so, maybe that's what SSL had in mind when they made this? a nice clean signal path in a small format.. lot's of I/O, easy to integrate w/what you already have in your outboard rack.

seem pretty simple to see where they might be coming from.
Old 17th August 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Not sure that you would need summing modules if you have an X-Desk. The Desk is like having 2 x 4 input mods, 1 x 8 input, master. Plus monitor controler, talk back, and extensive routing.... things that you don't get with the X-Logic modules. It seems like another option, suitable depending on how you work.

The Speck is great, but a different product (much less extensive routing, talkback, etc).

If the X-Desk isn't for you, it isn't for you.
I know what the specs are for sure. I was a great proponent of the Xdesk in earlier threads. But I've always said the Xdesk had more value when teamed up with another summing mixer like (my choice) an API 8200a with an additional 8 input unit. That way you actually have channels to mix.

It's funny, I had just started buying xrack mods when the Xdesk was realeased and I immediately saw that it was 2 4channel, 1 8channel and a master module with the addition of aux's. I was thrilled! So I sold my modules to buy an Xdesk instead. But the more I worked on other mixers and with some experienced engineers the more I realized how gimmicky the Xdesk is.

The Xrack has more busses (3), Total Recall and with the master module all the monitoring, routing in the world. The 8 input mods are really for fx return.

I picked up a Midas Venice 320 instead.

I view the Xdesk as more useful for tracking with outboard, than for mixing.... I guess you could mix vocals or drums with it and send this submix to a console, but you can't really mix an entire ensemble with it. You need more channels for this benefit. I hear a huge difference between the summers that I've used (api, ssl, dangerous, oram) and the Midas Venice board ... and the Venice is the clear winner.

I would of course, use a summer WITH the venice board .. perhaps. But I think I'd be better off selling my board and using this money with what money I had for the summer and buying a neotek or some other rig.

I'm just saying, that for mixing, it would have been an incredibly valuable tool if it had total recall capability AND a mix bus compressor.

I have heard with my ears that putting a mix bus comp or nice EQ on an ITB mix is FAR more impacting than spreading stems out over 8 channels...unless of course you have a cool transformer or op amp on those stems.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search