The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL x desk owners reveal yourselfves!---pictures? ---opinions?---HOW IS IT?
Old 22nd November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYX View Post
Really basic question:

How does the 16 channels of summing work with only 8 faders? Maybe (and in fact probably) I'm missing something very obvious but if each fader on the board can either be assigned to a regular channel input or an alt input how can you sum 16 line inputs simultaneously?

The cue's control your alternate inputs with a volume pot instead of fader and a pan control.
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

SSL x desk owners reveal yourselfves!---pictures? ---opinions?---HOW IS IT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein
But the real kicker is the sound - if digital sounded so great then why are all you digital guys spending so much money on plugins that allege to fake that "analog tape warmth"????? Huh?????

Apologies for the rant to all the pros reading this. It's not aimed at you.
So you are saying all the pros who have big analog consoles never use emulation plugins?
Old 18th September 2012
Here for the gear

Magellan,

I wanted to know how the setup is working with the C24 and the X-desk. Are you doing all of your monitoring thru the SSL? Using the C24 for Talkback? I have the C24 and the X-desk on the way and was trying to figure out the best/easiest setup for using both consoles. The twist I have is that I will still need to use the C24 for doing 5.1 mixes. I currently only have one patch bay (SwitchCraft 6425) so my options are a bit limited as to what I can run to it and what will need to be connected directly.

Any suggestions on wiring would be great!

Thanks!
Old 22nd September 2012
I know this is an old thread, but I recently got an x-desk and it's fantastic. I have been using a Speck x-sum for OTB summing and was looking for more inputs and more features in the monitoring section. I love the X-SUM, so wanted something to complement it, not replace it.
The X-Desk looked great, because the monitoring was what I wanted, but also with the extra inputs, sends, inserts on the master bus, talkback, inserts on the channels, etc. I have the X-Sum coming into the stereo input into the X-Desk, and use it as the "master" for the studio. Once levels were matched, the SSL is right there with the X-SUM.
And, it's expandable!
Kudos on a great job!

I'm not sure if people are still criticizing the x-desk, but where else can you put together an 8 channel desk of this caliber with Pre's & EQ for $14K? Or a 16 channel version for about $28K? And one that's able to start small and grow?
Audient seems to be the other company that is trying to make solutions like this.
Neve and API are not.

I have not used a C24, so I cannot comment on the monitoring of that unit, but the monitoring on the SSL is excellent!
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
[IMG]
It is like with Gibson or Martin Guitars.
People buy this stuff not because it sounds great they buy it because it has a Martin Logo on the head-plate.
slagging martin guitars?....thats bat **** crazy talk. all martins are great...but a small body martin is a truly beautiful thing...
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear
and how the hell could they put a worthwhile buss comp in the xdesk for that price...bat **** crazy talk again. its a great price for what it is.
Old 6th March 2013
Gear Addict

Last edited by toolz; 7th March 2013 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Double Post
Old 6th March 2013
Gear Addict

Using an X-Desk as a sidecar for my SSL 4024 E/G/G+

It sounds different to the 4k, but sonically it holds up against it :-))) I like the fact also it has all the balanced in's/outs/inserts on Dsub and have wired all this onto the existing 4k bays.

Old 21st April 2013
Here for the gear
It may look like Fisher Price but it doesn't sound like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
Using an X-Desk as a sidecar for my SSL 4024 E/G/G+

It sounds different to the 4k, but sonically it holds up against it :-))) I like the fact also it has all the balanced in's/outs/inserts on Dsub and have wired all this onto the existing 4k bays.

I had an X-Desk for a short time and used it for a number of hip hop and dance mixes. With the g-series stereo compressor strapped to the buss and some outboard gear I was getting a similar sound to the mixes I did on my friends Duality. Ultimately I sold mine and bought an API 1608 but if you're on a tight budget and want something fairly inexpensive that has a sound similar to the Duality then I'd highly recommend this little desk. Yes it looks a little Fisher Price which may not impress clients but it doesn't sound Fisher Price at all! Especially for those who have collected some outboard gear to accompany the little console during mix duties. The X-Desk gives you a great sounding SSL style mix (very open and clean).
Old 23rd March 2014
Here for the gear

This is an old thread but I just picked up an X desk at a good price so I'm still reading about it. (I researched every summing option and basically this one does a lot of things I need and nothing I don't). I'm waiting for the accompanying patch bay in the mail so I can't really speak about its sonics yet unfortunately. However, the built in bus compressor sub-thread here got me thinking it would be cool if they had a larger version (like between x desk and matrix) w integrated x rack in the chassis. Kinda like the API box - but cheaper
Old 31st December 2016
Gear Maniac

Before we get to 2017 and I'll be blamed for resurrecting this topic can someone send more pictures of X desk ??
I'm sure there's plenty of great custom setups, cascades with X panda or nucleus...
I need inspiration for my setup
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone know which if any 500 series racks will align with the x-desk channels when they are both rack mounted together?
Old 7th May 2017
Gear Maniac

bumping this thread again to see if any owners can help me out. i rewired to have the direct outputs going to my daw inputs but noticed there is no aux effects on the channel outputs. am i missing something or is this normal? kinda sucks to be honest.
Old 7th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mack View Post
bumping this thread again to see if any owners can help me out. i rewired to have the direct outputs going to my daw inputs but noticed there is no aux effects on the channel outputs. am i missing something or is this normal? kinda sucks to be honest.
Well it's the normal behaviour of direct outputs ; it would be impossible for the aux effects to go to each channel, when they're already going through the stereo return channels of the console ! You cannot duplicate the audio signals in an analog console as you would in a DAW...

What I do with mine is always record the dry signal of the DOs, route the FX returns to the Cue Mix, and record the fully wet signal from the Cue Outs. Much more usable if you want to change the FX later.

Otherwise you could also patch your FX in the inserts. In which case you'll have to switch the DOs to behave Post Fader if me memory serves me right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search