The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL x desk owners reveal yourselfves!---pictures? ---opinions?---HOW IS IT?
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Addict

Apparently SSL aren't able to make these fast enough to meet the demand at the moment. Hence, my inability to demo it so far.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
More info please-ie your mixes in X desk as compared to what? and how is the X desk mixes different sonically.

Congrats and looking to hear about your experience.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
I utilize a hybrid style of mixing wPT8 for ITB and an outboard summing mixer. For rock/pop mixing, my typical setup is mono channels to the x-desk mixer for kick, snare, bass, & lead vox, then stems for egs', ag's, keys, bgv's, etc., sent to stereo pairs. Everything on the x-desk is routed to a patchbay, so I can easily insert outboard gear to the inserts or auxes. I compared mixes using the x-desk vs an API DSM system (7800 + 8200's). Sonically, the mixes were identical to both me & the clients using the same itb & outboard settings on the EQs and comps. The x-desk seems to have more gain at each stage (channel & mix bus output), but is very quiet with no audible crosstalk.
X-desk Pros: sonically neutral compared to API at half the price; better cue system for recording; 2 stereo aux returns (none on API); the IJack is very convenient for quick listening to another audio source (especially clients ipods!). Cons: no aux sends or inserts on the Alt channels, so the 'other 8' channels are not near as useful as the 'primary' channels.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
*snip*
X-desk Pros: sonically neutral compared to API at half the price; better cue system for recording; 2 stereo aux returns (none on API); the IJack is very convenient for quick listening to another audio source (especially clients ipods!). Cons: no aux sends or inserts on the Alt channels, so the 'other 8' channels are not near as useful as the 'primary' channels.
Which is one reason why I'll be interested to see what SSL have up their sleeve in the way of "add on channels" to cascade to the X desk. Obviously that's going to happen given that the X Desk was designed to be cascadable – and since they're selling well hopefully that'll be sooner rather than later.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Cons: no aux sends or inserts on the Alt channels, so the 'other 8' channels are not near as useful as the 'primary' channels.
For the alt channels you could patch straight from your converters/multitrack to your outboard gear, and then into the alt inputs though, right?

Come to think of it, what is the point of an insert point on a mixer with no preamps or EQ? Insert between what?

And on a mixer with no preamps but with EQ wouldn't it only make sense to have the insert point post-eq, since you can be pre-eq simply by patching the gear between the source and the line-in?
Old 13th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4-10 View Post

Come to think of it, what is the point of an insert point on a mixer with no preamps or EQ? Insert between what?
?
Im guessing your other outboard gear (your other preamps and eq's)

Quote:
I utilize a hybrid style of mixing wPT8 for ITB and an outboard summing mixer. For rock/pop mixing, my typical setup is mono channels to the x-desk mixer for kick, snare, bass, & lead vox, then stems for egs', ag's, keys, bgv's, etc., sent to stereo pairs. Everything on the x-desk is routed to a patchbay, so I can easily insert outboard gear to the inserts or auxes. I compared mixes using the x-desk vs an API DSM system (7800 + 8200's). Sonically, the mixes were identical to both me & the clients using the same itb & outboard settings on the EQs and comps. The x-desk seems to have more gain at each stage (channel & mix bus output), but is very quiet with no audible crosstalk.

Would love to see some pics of your setup featuring the x desk!
Old 13th September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post

For me the X desk is a sign that SSL recognized that no one needs a desk today anymore to get professional sound.

2 K in Euro and no 2 Bus compression....much overpriced IMO.

Trying to make the impression this is an real SSL ..... marketing hype.

The idea behind this is that you buy their SSL Outboard gear as well.
So you will end up at with an EQ for every channel and the bus compressor around 16 K in Euro if you buy all the stuff from SSL.

If you invest such a big amount of money it is worth to think about to get an nice refurbished Studer-Vintage desk as well as one SSL Bus compressor clone.

My guesswork with the SSL stuff is you pay a lot for the brand SSL.

It is like with Gibson or Martin Guitars.
People buy this stuff not because it sounds great they buy it because it has a Martin Logo on the head-plate.

Many times I was taking a brand new Morgan Guitar from Canada over any Martin in the shop.
Guess what the client bought the Martin.

And that is in my opinion the effect SSL is waiting for...."Wow I got an SSL in my bed room studio"

Just for summing and in-bounding some outboard I can have cheaper solutions than that one.
I would more tend to buy a cheap mackie as this overpriced toy.

It was not your question I know but this is may a reason why people are not hyping this unit....
Im sure it has to do with that and not them taping into the huge pro-summer market.
Old 13th September 2009
Lives for gear
In reference to my comment/question about inserts on a no-pre/eq mixer:

From the manual:

Quote:
Once you have selected your Input, it then has a + / - 20 dB gain "Level Trim" indented in the centre at Unity Gain and a Phase Reverse "[phase reverse symbol]" button. The Post gain signal can also then be affected by Insert processing (perhaps an EQ or Dynamics processor.) by pressing the "INS" switch. It is worth noting that in SSL tradition the Insert Send is always active, which can creatively [sic] utilised if you so wish. Engaging the "INS" switch will activate the Insert return. (All Channel Inserts are connected via the INSERT SEND/RETURN connections on the rear of the desk).
So the insert point is between the level trim and polarity reverse and the rest of the channel, which could be modestly useful. And the insert send being always on (for the 8 channels that have an insert) is very useful as a mult for sidechaining and other parallel processing. But if you are likely to always leave your line-trim at 0 and not reverse polarity on the mixer (you can do both these things in your DAW) then you can probably save some cash on the insert return D-sub cable.

Thanks for humouring this tangent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keire View Post
Im sure it has to do with that and not them taping into the huge pro-summer market.
Okay, that's pretty funny.
Old 14th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4-10 View Post
For the alt channels you could patch straight from your converters/multitrack to your outboard gear, and then into the alt inputs though, right?
Yes, and I do have that configured in the patchbay. I'm just used to that INS switch for quick A/B comparisons.
Old 14th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post

Would love to see some pics of your setup featuring the x desk!
See my earlier post on page 2 of this thread.
Old 14th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
pics attached. i've done a few mixes now & diggin' the sound of the x-desk.
Looks great man!

BTW how's that furman on the left working out for you,been thinking about getting one
But there are all sorts of pros and CONS to the matter...

Does your model have a voltage regulator?
Old 14th September 2009
SSL UK

Quote:
Well I always preferred "confessional" to "prosumer" however pro-summer is a whole new ball game. Didn't think of that one, doh!

The Inserts are for (me anyway) to use a little filtering when tracking and for EQ/Dyn when mixing down.

I designed X-Desk as an "audio hub" for people like us slutz who have some quality pieces and will hopefully be adding to them in the future. I wanted the X-Desk to still be useful when you buy your Duality, by making it versatile.

Glad to hear the first user to post a piccy seems to be using it exactly as intended, but of course the real genius will go off piste and use for something not predicted by the designer. (See history of audio recording)

Sam
Solid State Logic
Old 14th September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Inserts are for (me anyway) to use a little filtering when tracking and for EQ/Dyn when mixing down.
Yeah, I was just saying you don't actually need the insert point to put EQ/Dyn in the channel. Do it before the line in, instead. Anyway, the use of the insert send as a mult is good enough for me!

The X-Desk with the lunchbox full of high-end EQs and 6-8 channels of outboard comps (and more gear rented as required) are a bit of a distant goal for me, but I can't wait!
Old 14th September 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post
BTW how's that furman on the left working out for you,been thinking about getting one
But there are all sorts of pros and CONS to the matter...

Does your model have a voltage regulator?
Yes, it's the AR-1215 AC line regulator; it's been in the rack for a few years now and does a fine job.
Old 14th September 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well I always preferred "confessional" to "prosumer" however pro-summer is a whole new ball game. Didn't think of that one, doh!

I designed X-Desk as an "audio hub" for people like us slutz who have some quality pieces and will hopefully be adding to them in the future. I wanted the X-Desk to still be useful when you buy your Duality, by making it versatile.

Glad to hear the first user to post a piccy seems to be using it exactly as intended, but of course the real genius will go off piste and use for something not predicted by the designer. (See history of audio recording)

Sam
Solid State Logic
lol, your burning me for a spelling mistake...kinda avoiding the point don't you think?
Old 15th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
lol, your burning me for a spelling mistake...kinda avoiding the point don't you think?
I don't think I would describe the X-Desk (or indeed anything from SSL) as prosumer, if only just from a pure price perspective. I would imagine that the majority of those buying a summing mixer at that level/price point already have some similarly priced pieces of outboard, and indeed I could only really see a summing mixer really making sense when you already own some other stuff of a similar standard.
Old 15th September 2009
SSL UK

Quote:
No I think you misunderstand me. I meant that Pro-Summer would have been a good name for a product and I should have thought of it

I promise you I'm probably the last person to pick people up on spelling, I'm barely literate and every time I type a big red line appears under any word with more than 4 letters. Thank the lord for spell check

As to SSL in a Prosumer market, our philosophy is to give you the same quality as the bigger kit , just less of it for a more affordable price.

Myself and Jim are on a personal mission to bring SSL to a wider market but refuse to compromise the quality. It is members of forums like this who will act as the the true guardians.

Very best wishes,

Sam
Solid State Logic
Old 15th September 2009
Lives for gear
Cheers...you might want to think twice about the name, but its your if you want it! thumbsup

On another note, Im sure it will be successful....People are dying to get their hands on the tools of the big boys. Best of luck!
Old 17th September 2009
Lives for gear

I think that is it way cool that SSL is introducing the idea of building your console bit by bit philosophy. Not everyone wants or has $100,000 GEES to buy a 10FT long console.

Building an SSL console is a sweet idea. And also adding whatever eqs and comps of all sorts (500 series too) to the stash is way cool.

Yea, it is kind of pricey. But hey, its SSL. it ain't your local beer joint hole in the wall mixer. Every piece of SSL gear I own or messed with (analogue wise) has been superb in sound and quality. Can't say too much for the duende. I had a bad experience with that.. Didn't want to work with my Pro Tools the day I got it. So I sent that shxt back to Sweetwater.

I am glad to see the X-desk. thumbsup Its a cool piece to have in the studio. Wish it was $cheaper though. ($1500-2000).
Old 18th September 2009
Here for the gear

i bought an x-desk last week, ive installed it on the end of my hd rig and ive got to say it sounds great, i've been working in pro studios all my life and grew up with the sound of the g series, then the j and k.
i've gotta say when i plugged it and pressed play , it made my home setup sound like what ive been used to in pro studios.
my next step is a ssl bus compressor and maybe a mynx with 2 channels of eq.
i also have the waves ssl pack which i put over the channels!
i also love the fact that its so versatile for such a small thing , i can install a patch bay and have everything in my room come up without heaps of cables!!!
Old 18th September 2009
Deleted User
I think we're going to see A LOT of consoles come up for sale now that the Xdesk is out.
Old 18th September 2009
Lives for gear

Let's see, if you include buss comp and EQs on every channel then it costs a lot more. Well, you CAN add those things, ala-carte, as need and budget arise. You can expand and grow the X-Desk. And it's not just so-called "pro-sumers" that are buying it. I know one pro engineer who has done a great job mixing ITB for years and he's ready to get a good analog summing stsyem.

That's what you should compare it to -- other summers in the 2K to 3K range. Seems to have a lot of features at that price range along with the XL SuperAnalogue sound quality.

Even if you max it out with a second X-desk an X-rack of EQs and a buss comp, it's still a really affordable system. Think of how much the smallest SSL J or K console would have cost....
Old 18th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
No I think you misunderstand me. I meant that Pro-Summer would have been a good name for a product and I should have thought of it

I promise you I'm probably the last person to pick people up on spelling, I'm barely literate and every time I type a big red line appears under any word with more than 4 letters. Thank the lord for spell check

As to SSL in a Prosumer market, our philosophy is to give you the same quality as the bigger kit , just less of it for a more affordable price.

Myself and Jim are on a personal mission to bring SSL to a wider market but refuse to compromise the quality. It is members of forums like this who will act as the the true guardians.

Very best wishes,

Sam
Solid State Logic
How about the "Logic Summing System"? Then it would be the SSL LSS (I actually thought of that years ago) a Palindrome.

Kudos and good luck!
Old 21st September 2009
SSL UK

Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?

Sam
Solid State Logic
Old 21st September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sam
Solid State Logic
Aye say we!
Old 23rd September 2009
Deleted User
Quote:

Sam
Solid State Logic

Surely! The era is upon us all ... the object is unrelenting and takes no prisoners.

However, NEARLY everyone here wants vintage, no?
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sam
Solid State Logic
You guys realize this is a palindrome, right? Though the sentiment is also applicable.

My best example is radar... heh
Old 23rd September 2009
SSL UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
You guys realize this is a palindrome, right? Though the sentiment is also applicable.

My best example is radar... heh
Well spotted!

I'm not taken by poetic language often but I remembered a book of palindromes I had as a kid.

Sam
Solid State Logic
Old 23rd September 2009
Quote:
Well spotted!

I'm not taken by poetic language often but I remembered a book of palindromes I had as a kid.

Sam
Solid State Logic
Not much of a cunning linguist then?
Old 23rd September 2009
Deleted User
I didn't pick up on it ... I thought it was a grammatical syntax error "new era".

How entertainingheh That's what I love about the British character

The first one you might hear as a kid: a man, a plan, a canal, panama.
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear
Got an X-Desk on order...

...will let you folx know what I think when I get (and have used) it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search