The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL x desk owners reveal yourselfves!---pictures? ---opinions?---HOW IS IT?
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
OK, so I was a humorless old fart. My bad....... I just took it in the context of other people knocking the console.

I think it's great that SSL is selling a baby console at that very reasonable price point - I'll probably never buy one - it's too small for me - except maybe to use as a sidecar - but I still think it's great. I also think it's great that they left off the 2 buss comp - too many people these days use it as a crutch to cover bad mixing technique. Not to mention the fact that including it would have doubled the price of the console.
Peace brothers. I am sitting next to 8 feet of Trident console here.
Old 17th August 2009
Gear Addict

I am due to get an X-desk to demo sometime soon. Personally I couldn't really justify having some sort of summing mixer unless I had some bits and pieces of nice outboard I also wanted to integrate.

Also, I think people are a bit too focused on the use of summing mixers for actualy mixing as opposed to tracking. For multi mic techniques being able to blend before hitting the converters would be quite useful. When micing a drum kit, being able to combine top and bottom snares and inside and outside kicks to single tracks without compromising on the sonics is definitely a good thing. The same is true of electric guitar. It would also make parallel compression tracks, side chaining etc. possible when tracking.
Old 17th August 2009
Lives for gear

**Waving white flag***

*** laughing hysterically!***

Safe behind a big heavy old smelly mixing desk!
Old 18th August 2009
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
So why not making a concept 16 CH a usable EQ on every channel and a mix bus comp about 9-10 K overall.
All in one desk ready for using for small places and low budget producers.
We already make a 24 channel version of this product. It's called AWS900+

As a small calculation - 16 channels of EQ for the X-Rack comes in at $15k for the modules and racks... Taking the same circuit and putting 16 of them in a desk will not come out for $9k. Unfortunately. I get the point that a lot of people would like to buy a product as you describe, but unless we make large fundamental changes to the way the product is designed and built then it is going to have to stay on the drawing board.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well I have to disagree. I really like Gibson acoustics and Martins age very well indeed. Plus if you spend half your life dreaming of owning a Martin, it would be difficult to persuade me that a brand I have never heard of may be better. After I buy the Martin, then sure I'll be up for buying something else!

Sam
Solid State Logic

P.S It's actually a Gibson acoustic I want, perhaps a CF-100E, hint for Santa.
Do you happen the know ths ssl dude who have been in israel last month and gave a presentation?

Is that story on the shic who bought the biggest ssl ever true?
Old 18th August 2009
Deleted User
And, yet, SSL engineers were able to put what would have cost nearly $5500usd in an Xrack format into the Xdesk for $2699.
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

Ok i wanna buy the xdesk for 2 things its great summing quality and ...the volume knob.

I have adam s2a and thats why i cant settle for a 1k volume knob or suzy or big knob or whatever my option is getting a 3k volume knob which i wont ever spend right now....

The ssl will provide me with an amazing quality volume knob....
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
i think this mixer is a good idea and fits a niche. many people already have outboard eq's and more than one buss comp that they are attached to so why include all that in this little mixer? i wouldn't want to pay for all that stuff if i don't need it.

i think this mixer would be great for tracking synths and monitoring and then summing.

so, maybe that's what SSL had in mind when they made this? a nice clean signal path in a small format.. lot's of I/O, easy to integrate w/what you already have in your outboard rack.

seem pretty simple to see where they might be coming from.

+1.

And you get the ssl sound...
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Head

n my bed room studio"

Just for summing and in-bounding some outboard I can have cheaper solutions than that one.
I would more tend to buy a cheap mackie as this overpriced toy.

have u ever mixed on a mackie?
Old 19th August 2009
Deleted User
all the mackie mixers that I've used sound like ****: noisey and deteriorated signal. Just ****.

The best compact mixer that I've used is the Midas. I've owned so many of the others: xtrammix, dangerous, api, oram and SSL.

Summing is from ITB to OTB is pointless without at least 24 channels or so of analog and nice converters.

If you mix ITB buy a nice analog mic pre compressor eq for the two buss mixdown.

The Xdesk is about tracking and "analog summing" (just have nice converters!)
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

I dont know guys i belive the x desk has an extra value and quality when it comes down to summing (as every product in this field).

Ya sure you can use bheringer conversion (wich alot of people will say its enough for them) and you can use apogee....youll get more but it will cost you....
Old 19th August 2009
Gear Head

The X Rack and Duende are great products by SSL and deserve the popularity they have because they are great!

But in my opinion.....this is a flop and wouldent suprise me if SSL dont have much income from this product. Whilst i agree with those that say you are paying for high quality and that SSL sound, i disagree with those that say this is a very useable product because it isn't!

Considering this is aimed at the DAW market this is a flop, we have a 8 channel line mixer, with no recall, no DAW control, no pre amps, no EQ and yes i know you cant have every thing at £2000, but this is hardly a useful product at £2000, and would rather buy another high quality summing mixer at that price with 16 channels like the Neve.

This just seems like a real rushed product, and no DAW user is going to pay that much.

However, i do like the concept of a baby SSL and had they boosted the spec with daily engineering tools like, pre, EQ, Comp, Recall etc im sure people would be quite happy to pay the extra and have a real solid product that would see every day use.

If SSL want to hit the DAW market they will have to do better then this, like they proven with X Rack and Duende.

I think a high quality combined audio interface/DAW controller would have been great and would of sold.
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear
Hasn't anyone on Gearslutz ACTUALLY USED ONE?

Some of us are curious about the original question. I'm most curious about using it to mix using outboard gear.
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKyp View Post
The X Rack and Duende are great products by SSL and deserve the popularity they have because they are great!

But in my opinion.....this is a flop and wouldent suprise me if SSL dont have much income from this product. Whilst i agree with those that say you are paying for high quality and that SSL sound, i disagree with those that say this is a very useable product because it isn't!

Considering this is aimed at the DAW market this is a flop, we have a 8 channel line mixer, with no recall, no DAW control, no pre amps, no EQ and yes i know you cant have every thing at £2000, but this is hardly a useful product at £2000, and would rather buy another high quality summing mixer at that price with 16 channels like the Neve.

This just seems like a real rushed product, and no DAW user is going to pay that much.

However, i do like the concept of a baby SSL and had they boosted the spec with daily engineering tools like, pre, EQ, Comp, Recall etc im sure people would be quite happy to pay the extra and have a real solid product that would see every day use.

If SSL want to hit the DAW market they will have to do better then this, like they proven with X Rack and Duende.

I think a high quality combined audio interface/DAW controller would have been great and would of sold.

Regarding the neve 8816 you mentioned.

According to froogle the neve (alone) is 3695$

Its fader pack is 1995$

The ssl x desk sell's at 2899$

So there is a deference here,no one can say (summing wize) that one is better then the other,the neve lovers who like the full round sound will go for the neve,and the ssl lovers who like the punchy warm sound will go with the ssl ,Im guessing it will come up eavenly in the end.(poll?)

The neve and the ssl both have a volume control (equally good?).

Both of them doesnt have eq,pre amp,master buss comp.
Neve is 16 channels and not 8 like the ssl as you said.

Hmm another interesting thing is...NO ONE CAME IN THIS THREAD AND SAID "i have a ssl...love it...hate it" Guess its not going very well for ssl...our ssl distributer here in israel is telling me he is selling these even before people has the chance to listen to it....like a blond buy....
Old 20th August 2009
Quote:

But I do not understand what they want to tell me with this little tiny thing with their brand on it? Can you explain me this? Does this gives me the sound of an large format SSL console.....? I guess no!!!

I do not understand why a brand that is famous for consoles leaves the console concept for small business studios?

So now you can buy the matrix or this tiny little mixer and buy all the EQs and comps extra.
Well, my guess is that since the company was purchased by Phil Collins (and a partner) who is a musician, he wants to make SSL quality available to other musicians at a price they can afford. As I see it, this is a 16 input, 8 fader summing mixer with added mic pre's. Not a bad deal at this price point.

Quote:
So why not making a concept 16 CH a usable EQ on every channel and a mix bus comp about 9-10 K overall.
All in one desk ready for using for small places and low budget producers.
They have one, but it costs more money. You get what you pay for - ain't no free lunch.

And, as I said before, leaving the mix buss comp out is a GREAT idea - maybe a few people will actually learn to mix properly instead of letting the robot do the (half-assed) job for them.

And how many summing mixers have a mix buss comp, anyway?
Old 20th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
Peace brothers. I am sitting next to 8 feet of Trident console here.
****! All I've got is 7 feet of automated Soundcraft......
Old 20th August 2009
Quote:
We already make a 24 channel version of this product. It's called AWS900+

As a small calculation - 16 channels of EQ for the X-Rack comes in at $15k for the modules and racks... Taking the same circuit and putting 16 of them in a desk will not come out for $9k. Unfortunately. I get the point that a lot of people would like to buy a product as you describe, but unless we make large fundamental changes to the way the product is designed and built then it is going to have to stay on the drawing board.
Yeah, some people who are not particularly bright would rather that you put a cheapened, dumbed down version all in one box for cheap as long as it has the all important logo. Don't do it!
Old 20th August 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Well, my guess is that since the company was purchased by Phil Collins (and a partner) who is a musician, he wants to make SSL quality available to other musicians at a price they can afford. As I see it, this is a 16 input, 8 fader summing mixer with added mic pre's. Not a bad deal at this price point.

They have one, but it costs more money. You get what you pay for - ain't no free lunch.

And, as I said before, leaving the mix buss comp out is a GREAT idea - maybe a few people will actually learn to mix properly instead of letting the robot do the (half-assed) job for them.

And how many summing mixers have a mix buss comp, anyway?
Ok Doctor Pangloss ....heh

I still think the Xdesk is better suited to be used with an Xrack full of summing modules. Way better interface than the Xrack master module. And you get the additional aux's for fx etc.

I just think that using your logic, if this was made as an all in one solution for the recording musician, it should be true "all in one" for more nominal GBP. If you're dropping $3000usd on something that you'll need $6-10000usd worth of outboard to make interesting, why not, from a business standpoint, capture all that business up front by pre-installing it and charging more for the board?

Like I said before, they took $5500-6000 dollars worth of Xrack modules and turned it into a $2800 product. Pretty F'ing amazing in my book. What could SSL do with $15000 worth of small designs integrated into one piece ... maybe $6000usd?

SSL hopes that peeps will buy the xrack as an addition ... but loaded these things cost $8000usd or more.

I love my SSL compressors and will never part with them. They have a very unique sound. The E comps have a unique dirt and the k comps crack. The G comp that I own has it's own glue like sheen.

These pieces "have" a "sound". It isn't a console sound, but it is a sweet sound that works well on its own.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Head

Hmm another interesting thing is...NO ONE CAME IN THIS THREAD AND SAID "i have a ssl...love it...hate it" Guess its not going very well for ssl...our ssl distributer here in israel is telling me he is selling these even before people has the chance to listen to it....like a blond buy....[/QUOTE]

I never said this either, i'm just stating my opinion thats all, god people do get touchy on this forum!
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have one and I like it! I knew I wasn't going to be able to immediately start using it for everything that I intend to use it for when I got it. I've checked it out enough to know that I intend to keep it and have made a commitment to make it the center of my production lab. I probably could have waited, but I got a nice intro deal. I also have the the Mynx Tracking and Summing Bundles offered earlier this year. I like them too and the above statements apply to them, as well. The X-Desk and the Summing Bundle could be redundant, but I'm thinking of them as two independent, yet combinable systems. The biggest thing for me is feature/function combined with decent clean-ish sound. If you don't need the feature set, get something else. Anyway, I've said most of this more than once in the big X-Desk thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...sl-x-desk.html
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Seems like a glorified patchbay to me.
Old 20th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post

Hmm another interesting thing is...NO ONE CAME IN THIS THREAD AND SAID "i have a ssl...love it...hate it" Guess its not going very well for ssl...our ssl distributer here in israel is telling me he is selling these even before people has the chance to listen to it....like a blond buy....
I don't think they are available on the ground that long. My nearest dealer only got a demo unit a few days ago.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...ve-8816-a.html
Old 21st August 2009
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKyp View Post
Considering this is aimed at the DAW market this is a flop, we have a 8 channel line mixer,
X-Desk has 20 inputs at mixdown- 2 inputs on each channel remember....

@John Eppstein - I'd quit if it was Phil Collins who was my boss. I think you mean Peter Gabriel!

And like many others here, I'm very interested to hear feedback from people who have them. X-Desks have been shipping out as quickly as we can build them and certainly seem like a success so far! We know it won't be something for everybody (as this thread attests to) but we also know that it ticks all of the boxes for some.
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
X-Desks have been shipping out as quickly as we can build them
New X-Desk owners aren't bitchin' or "reporting back" only because they're busy making music, unlike most people around here.
Old 21st August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
Ok Doctor Pangloss ....heh

I still think the Xdesk is better suited to be used with an Xrack full of summing modules. Way better interface than the Xrack master module. And you get the additional aux's for fx etc.

I just think that using your logic, if this was made as an all in one solution for the recording musician, it should be true "all in one" for more nominal GBP. If you're dropping $3000usd on something that you'll need $6-10000usd worth of outboard to make interesting, why not, from a business standpoint, capture all that business up front by pre-installing it and charging more for the board?

Like I said before, they took $5500-6000 dollars worth of Xrack modules and turned it into a $2800 product. Pretty F'ing amazing in my book. What could SSL do with $15000 worth of small designs integrated into one piece ... maybe $6000usd?

SSL hopes that peeps will buy the xrack as an addition ... but loaded these things cost $8000usd or more.

I love my SSL compressors and will never part with them. They have a very unique sound. The E comps have a unique dirt and the k comps crack. The G comp that I own has it's own glue like sheen.

These pieces "have" a "sound". It isn't a console sound, but it is a sweet sound that works well on its own.
You totally missed my point. Actually you and I are pretty much in agreement, aside from your chip-on-the-shoulder attitude.

Maybe you should ACTUALLY READ WHAT PEOPLE SAY before making stupid, assholic comments?
Old 21st August 2009
Deleted User
I think I'm going to grab the Xdesk for a test run. I still need a mobile rig and the more I think about the Xdesk, the more I think I might be able to use it on the road.

Perhaps with a Duende, one nice dual preamp EQ like the GTQ2, two mix bus comps and one 16 channel converter. That's a very small rack case with the angled mixer rack on the top.

I think for simple mixing situations it is probably very useful.

Just not on larger, more complex projects.

to be continued ....
Old 22nd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
I think I'm going to grab the Xdesk for a test run. I still need a mobile rig and the more I think about the Xdesk, the more I think I might be able to use it on the road.

Perhaps with a Duende, one nice dual preamp EQ like the GTQ2, two mix bus comps and one 16 channel converter. That's a very small rack case with the angled mixer rack on the top.

I think for simple mixing situations it is probably very useful.

Just not on larger, more complex projects.

to be continued ....
Waiting for your opinion...
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Maniac

pics attached. i've done a few mixes now & diggin' the sound of the x-desk.
Attached Thumbnails
SSL x desk owners reveal yourselfves!---pictures? ---opinions?---HOW IS IT?-img_0008.jpg   SSL x desk owners reveal yourselfves!---pictures? ---opinions?---HOW IS IT?-img_0011.jpg  
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
pics attached. i've done a few mixes now & diggin' the sound of the x-desk.

More info please-ie your mixes in X desk as compared to what? and how is the X desk mixes different sonically.

Congrats and looking to hear about your experience.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear

SSL minus the EQ's and dynamics is nothing more than a mediocre sounding submixer....I demo'd the AWS when it came out.....and passed it up for another 4000 series SSL....this little desk seems pointless and overpriced to me.....get your self a speck line mixer and a rack of their EQ's....less money, better sound, more versatile...or just stay ITB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search