The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TASCAM - Release - DM-3200 Digital Mixer Now Shipping Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1st September 2005
Here for the gear

TASCAM - Release - DM-3200 Digital Mixer Now Shipping

TASCAM'S DM-3200 DIGITAL CONSOLE NOW SHIPPING!
Features 48-Channel Mixing, Powerful DSP and Integration with DAW Recording Systems

Montebello, CA (August 31, 2005): TASCAM is pleased to announce the DM-3200,
an all-new 48-channel professional digital console, is now shipping. Boasting an impressive list of specs competitive with consoles twice its price—and based on the DM-24 in operational ease-of-use—the DM-3200 adds more busses, more effects, more auxes, USB connectivity and many other new features. Its user interface includes 16 rotary encoders with LED indicators to display mixer settings at a glance. Up to 6.1 surround panning is available, and the optional IF-SM/DM Surround Monitoring interface card adds multichannel monitor, bass management and downmix capabilities. When support for the optional IF-FW/DM 24-channel FireWire interface card becomes available in the coming weeks, the DM-3200 will be the most powerful all-in-one computer interface, control surface and mixing console available anywhere, making it ideal for professional recording, post-production, film scoring and installation applications. An optional meter bridge, the MU-1000, is also available.
"We wanted to make sure everything was just right," says Jim Bailey, Product Manager for TASCAM, "before unleashing the DM-3200 on the world. It's not enough anymore to build a console with lots of inputs, effects and automation. Although the DM-3200 excels in all of these, today's engineers demand seamless integration between the mixing surface and computer workstation recording software. With its tightly integrated control surface features, the DM-3200 provides the functions that professionals working in combined hardware & software studios demand. This digital console addresses the way modern studios work."
TASCAM's DM-3200 provides a list of mixing specs that equal or surpass digital consoles over twice its price:
• 48-channel digital mixing at resolutions of up to 96kHz / 24-bit
• 32 channel inputs and 16 return inputs
• 16 busses and 8 aux sends
• 4-band full-parametric EQ and dynamics on each of the 32 channels
• Two stereo effects at 44.1k or 88.2/96k
• 17 touch-sensitive 100mm motorized faders
• SEL/SOLO /MUTE keys and rotary encoder with ring LED display on each channel strip
• 5 mixer layers (CH 1-16, CH 17-32, Return 1-16, Buss 1-16, Aux 1-8) and control layer with bank switching for DAW control
• Surround mixing ability — up to 6.1 surround panning modes
• World-class automation system, based on the acclaimed DM-24
• Driverless USB connection to computer for data backup/restore
• Includes TASCAM Mixer Companion software for Windows and Mac OS X for project management and timecode & meter displays
• 16 XLR balanced mic/line inputs with phantom power, –20dB pad and a new high-headroom microphone preamp design
• 2 XLR AES/EBU and 2 S/PDIF digital I/O
• 8 channel ADAT I/O & 24-channel TDIF I/O
• 2 expansion slots for DM-24 compatible cards — analog, AES, etc.
• Dedicated DAW control surface capability
• Optional MU-1000 Meter bridge
• Optional IF-SM/DM Surround Monitoring interface card
• Optional IF-FW/DM FireWire card for audio and MIDI I/O to computer (coming soon)
• Professional design with wood grain side panels and rear-panel jacks
Attached Thumbnails
TASCAM - Release - DM-3200 Digital Mixer Now Shipping-tas_dm-3200_fgs.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2005
Lives for gear

What about the Firewire card and the DAW controlling? Is that also available?
Old 2nd September 2005
Here for the gear

TASCAM DM-3200

The FireWire card is being engineered right now. We will have news on its ETA soon.
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

hi

Is the lightpipe side limited to 8 I/o?
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

There's an 8 channel lightpipe I/O built in, plus you could add a couple lightpipe expansion cards, for up to 24 channels of I/O.
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

I downloaded the manual and could not find any informations about the DAW controlling possibilities.

What about that?
Old 5th September 2005
Lives for gear

Hey Tascam Guy. Do you work for Trashcan? I just bought a brand new DV-RA1000 last night at Guitar Center. Got everything setup today, but it won't even turn on!

Has Trashcan gone the way of Behringer? I think this may be the last time I ever buy a Trashcan product. I've had enough of this crap.

Trashcan should have merged with Sony Pro Audio. Imagine it..... One company who makes gear that works, and another company with management that can stay in business..... under one roof. A marriage made in Japan.

Old 5th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
Hey Tascam Guy. Do you work for Trashcan? I just bought a brand new DV-RA1000 last night at Guitar Center. Got everything setup today, but it won't even turn on!

Has Trashcan gone the way of Behringer? I think this may be the last time I ever buy a Trashcan product. I've had enough of this crap.

Trashcan should have merged with Sony Pro Audio. Imagine it..... One company who makes gear that works, and another company with management that can stay in business..... under one roof. A marriage made in Japan.

Man! You are one uptight, angry wookie! heh First bursting a blood vessel over people bumping a post and now this.... Pour yourself a cold one or spark up a fatty- life's to short to walk around with all that tension.

FWIW, I ordered not one, but two Rupert Neve Designs Porticos and BOTH of them had major problems- Had to end up just sending them back.....
So even very good companies can have problems, no need to beat up on the Tascam dude. I'd be more inclined to wonder what Guitar Center did to screw it up! heh

(I know, I know- way too many smilies in that post...)
Old 5th September 2005
Gear Addict

It'll be interesting to see the arc of the lifespan of this thing-

I own a Tascam SX-1, kissing cousin to this unit with onboard DAW, that was discontinued before many of the promised functions were implemented- Software got up to 1.51 before it was ****canned, 2.0 was supposed to make the unit into what was was originally sold as-

(It's still a very cool unit as is, even with all those neat multi-pin connectors on the back of it that don't do anything- Hey, at least you can run a panel light from one of the un-implemented USB sockets... )
Old 5th September 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Man! You are one uptight, angry wookie! heh First bursting a blood vessel over people bumping a post and now this.... Pour yourself a cold one or spark up a fatty- life's to short to walk around with all that tension.

FWIW, I ordered not one, but two Rupert Neve Designs Porticos and BOTH of them had major problems- Had to end up just sending them back.....
So even very good companies can have problems, no need to beat up on the Tascam dude. I'd be more inclined to wonder what Guitar Center did to screw it up! heh

(I know, I know- way too many smilies in that post...)
My vessels are okay now. It just kills me to get everything hooked up, and then the thing doesn't even turn on! Some red lights come on inside, but the front panel is dead.

Sorry TascamGuy. It's not your fault personally, but since you're here, I decided to vent my frustration on you. I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'll return it to GC and be done with it. Too bad, as there aren't many alternatives. Masterlink makes that horrible whining noise, so I won't even look at one of those.

I've been through the "drive it down to Montebello and wait a few weeks" scenario before. That's not happening again. It was brand new in the box, so unless it got whacked in the truck, it was probably defective when it left China.

Can we please get a master recorder that is well built and doesn't make a whining noise? I'll have to start looking at analog 2trks that can be refurbished and modded. Can't afford an ATR-102. Can I? No. Not unless I sold a bunch of other stuff. It would almost be worth it.
Old 5th September 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn
Masterlink makes that horrible whining noise, so I won't even look at one of those.

Can we please get a master recorder that is well built and doesn't make a whining noise?

My Masterlink made a whining noise at first, but it was an old original 4gig drive. Upgrading to a Seagate Barracuda 40gig eliminated that. Granted, I don't work in a super-quiet studio (location work here), but even when I have it on in my house (which is pretty quiet) I have to get right up to it to hear anything.

Daniel Stover
Houston, TX
Old 8th September 2005
Lives for gear

Well, I went to return the Tascam DV-RA1000, and they had another one. We took it out of the box and made sure it turns on. It does! The folks at Guitar Center were great about the return.

I'm eager to hear how the DSD sounds especially. Will report back.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search