The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Check this video and...throw your opinoin in.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Check this video and...throw your opinoin in.

YouTube - QnA - Should I use a Power Conditioner?

K im gonna get a neve 1073 dpa, which according to what this guy says already has some sort of a stabilizer in it,and if ill throw a furman in the equation ill just dump to ground to much "MEAT"...whats your take?
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds like alot of BS to me. All this "contaminate" stuff. Power supplies take the ac and rectify it and use a voltage regulator and smoothing caps to make steady DC power usually. Unless its made badly i would think a power conditioner would only help this process. We need to run everything off batteries! heh
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
Sounds like alot of BS to me.
Indeed, total BS. If you don't have a problem with obvious clicks and pops when the fridge kicks in etc, then you will not benefit from power "conditioning." Claims of subtle improvements in clarity and depth and imaging ad nauseum are total fiction.

--Ethan
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Totally agree on this, it's voodoo.
Old 14th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Indeed, total BS. If you don't have a problem with obvious clicks and pops when the fridge kicks in etc, then you will not benefit from power "conditioning." Claims of subtle improvements in clarity and depth and imaging ad nauseum are total fiction.

--Ethan
What about the current stabilizer doesn't it count for something ? or is this something you get built in any high end product?

I mean im not getting it as a quality improver but more of a "keep my expensive gear from burning" device.

IF i turn the light on my live room i can hear a pop in the monitors////so i just turn it on BEFORE i turn the monitors on.
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post
What about the current stabilizer doesn't it count for something ? or is this something you get built in any high end product?
Any professional audio product will be able to accommodate normal voltage variations. Even inexpensive consumer audio gear works fine as is. I'm not saying a power conditioner is never useful, only that the typical claims of improved audio quality are bogus. In order for a power conditioner to improve "bass fullness and imaging" the laws of physics would need to change. heh

--Ethan
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about the current stabilizer doesn't it count for

I mean im not getting it as a quality improver but more of a "keep my expensive gear from burning" device.
Again focusing on this question and not the sound improving are there any better solutions then a power conditioner so a peak wont burn my stuff?
Old 15th August 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
are there any better solutions then a power conditioner so a peak wont burn my stuff?
Why do you think your "stuff" will get burned? Has anything else in your house blown up unexpectedly. TV? Radio? Computer? Does your area suffer from frequent power problems? If not, then stop worrying about it.

There are solutions for real (versus imagined) power problems. I'm just trying to determine if you really are at risk.

--Ethan
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

I thought the real prblam is after a power break when the elecrticity comes back on it can sometimes come back in an huge peak that has nothing to do with the quality of electricity i got...(from the other hand even the best power conditioner in the world wont help here....a furman series 2 maximum surge current is 6,500 Amps which is of course alot but there is more).

The sockets i bought at home turn them selves off for four minutes AFTER the power comes back on...for that reason...
Old 19th August 2009
Lives for gear

Ya...it turns out the furman pl plus II has no voltage regulator...
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

most people in the pro audio world know you should always turn your monitors on LAST. If you don't ANY piece will cause a pop in your monitors if it is outputting to your monitors, not just a 1073

....this is a golden rule of all studios. monitors off first, and on last!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search