The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
D3200 workstation vs. Macbook Pro/Logic/Duet Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th August 2009
Here for the gear

D3200 workstation vs. Macbook Pro/Logic/Duet

After several years experience recording with a sweeeet high tech Korg D1200 workstation I have decided to take my old ideas along with new ideas and make some nicer recordings.

I purchased a new Apple Macbook pro a year ago along with Logic pro (since upgraded to 9) and an Apogee Duet. Very little time to work on music combined with trouble getting Logic to work properly (wasn't just me...spent several hours with Apple support) kept me from continuing. I have used the d1200 to throw down ideas for yet another year. I saved up a few dollars and moved away from Southern California to Northern Michigan, so I now have time to actually work on music.

I am considering purchasing a Korg D3200 and dumping the laptop. I get really frustrated with computers and their "issues". I have never had any problems with the d1200's. I turn it on, arm a track, and GO! The biggest problem for me is the limited number of tracks. If I do go with a workstation it seems to make sense to me that I stick with Korg as I have had no problems with them and I've much experience with the controls and navigating.

GEAR
Focusrite red 7 mic pre
Avalon U5
Nuemann TLM49 mic
Korg M3 synth
Roland V-Drums
KRK V8 powered monitors
Line 6 Guitar and Bass Pods
Big Muff Bass pedal

Macbook Pro dual 2.5 2g ram
Logic 9
Apogee Duet
Glyph 120g firewire HD

My thinking right now is to sell the Macbook, Logic, and the apogee and buy a d3200, Line 6 Pod X3 pro rack, and a few other effects pedals. Maybe even a Lexicon PCM91 reverb unit? I'm not concerned with the slightly large size of the d3200 compared to the laptop. I have an entire finished basement I've built into a studio. I've 2 desks, a vocal booth, V-drum kit, and acoustic kit set up with plenty of room.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Also, any suggestions as to using the M3 along with the D3200? I will be using it to make most of my drum tracks as well as all strings, hits, bells, whikser doos, whisker dont's, etc. Can I write in the M3 then transfer audio files into song on D3200? I'm sure I can find this out from Korg, but figured I'd check with yalls.

---Finally---
Can anyone explain why the all-in-one workstation seems to be going away? I don't understand why there are not more developments in this world. Imagine a workstation similar to a laptop in design? Open it up.....large screen. Turn it on and go! No 6 hour software installs only to have it freeze up on your first session. No sound card to force into a relationship. Im uh-bit-baffled. Why rely on PC's and Macs?

Gearslutz New-B
J
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Head

D3200 Forum - StudioTrax Forums

good forum.

I have one and think its a fantastic bit of kit, though , I prefer mastering on computer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search