The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Would it be of benefit if we had a songwriting/performance forum?
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

What would be discuss? Pens?

I hear the Bic Biro is the best for transparent songwriting, but the Parker Vector makes for really warm and sparkly lyrics, whilst the Walmart 10 for $1 pens are OK for jotting down ideas but you need a Berol ballpoint for a hit single.

This is a gear forum! There are plenty of music forums where people can discuss musical stuff.
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Lucid, livid, lively lyrics + magnificent melodic meandering + cool, creative chord progressions. Write 'em and sell 'em, it's OH so simple, quick & easy. Just do it.
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mojo View Post
Just to update you guys (in case you haven't heard), Jules has said that there will be a songwriting subforum this year. thumbsup
Sweet!
Old 19th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mojo View Post
Just to update you guys (in case you haven't heard), Jules has said that there will be a songwriting subforum this year. thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post

I hear the Bic Biro is the best for transparent songwriting, but the Parker Vector makes for really warm and sparkly lyrics, whilst the Walmart 10 for $1 pens are OK for jotting down ideas but you need a Berol ballpoint for a hit single.

This is a gear forum! There are plenty of music forums where people can discuss musical stuff.
It's not like we're going to be talking about engine rebuilding or gardening.

And it's not like it's going to steal resources from other forums, I shouldn't think. And it might well mean more traffic for GS, meaning more ad views, meaning that Jules can stay in business.

Hell, it might even keep me out of this forum a little and I'm sure there are folks who would appreciate that. heh
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Maybe the new forum will boost acoustic guitar sales. / D / Cadd9 / Em / A7 / Gosh I just love the sound of Fender Thin picks on those chords ! Woop !
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post

Pens? Are you trippin', dude? If you want to get the full organic feel of the lyrics, you have to use a pencil. A No. 2. Mechanical will give you some crisp, clean vibe, but an old-school yellow pencil--sharpened with a pocket knife, mind you--gets you the full vintage experience.
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I vote yes, and here's why:

This is not only a gear forum; it is an audio recording forum. The topics cover not only gear but also techniques, concepts, philosophies, etc. If you're recording music, songwriting and performance should be things you consider -- especially if you are a producer/engineer or musician/producer/engineer, as so many of us are these days. I believe that the song and the performance are the first -- and most important -- links in the recording chain. So why shouldn't they be discussed here?
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
I don't want a section for critiquing songs. We have that.

I want a section for discussing songwriting technique and theory - chords, scales, melodies, lyrics, and the songwriting process as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James View Post
To clarify I'm not talking about a place to post files. A forum for discussion of the art and technique of writing. Eg. Song structure, climax, etc. Also a place to discuss the performance of writing, vocal delivery, presence, etc.
I'm 100% with this. I'd love to see a songwriting section on GS. How do we get this ball rolling?
Old 20th January 2011
I hear people like rondo.
Old 4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
New forum now open!
That's very nice and appreciated.

I don't know if it was already made clear but I hope the subforum is heavily moderated.

In other words, we can all avoid threads of negativity and endless rehashes of "J***n B*** sucks". It's songwriting... let's be happy.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

+1

For songwriting yucks I like the forums at music.metafilter.com and songfight.com, good music and good people.
Old 4th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
New forum now open!

Songwriting - Gearslutz.com
Right on, Jules!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search