The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Would it be of benefit if we had a songwriting/performance forum?
Old 10th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by days View Post
That's a pretty title (days were like lakes).
Old 10th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Good observation!

But there are exceptions. And if you work 8 hours a day for several months on each melody, rewrite it a few hundred times, live with it, dream about it, then I DOUBT you'll upload it anywhere...
Oh, yeah, without question. I always try to be careful about laying out the legal realities before infecting folks with what might seem like a lackadaisical attitude toward something that is, after all, kind of sacred (at least to the guy who wrote the song).

And it's interesting because I am a pretty cynical and untrusting person. It just doesn't seem like this is something that seems to go on. But -- hell -- I don't know why it doesn't. And maybe it does -- and no one even notices... heh

I mean, when I finally went to put set up a MySpace page for my eponymous acoustic act, I already found one -- my name -- and my music! (Maybe it was a fan? MySpace has a procedure all set up for such situations and getting my name 'back' was quite straightforward.)

But that was in my name. And that was the only reason I found it.

I remember back on the old Mp3.com right around the turn of the century. They had a deal where they paid artists a couple cents per DL. Sadly, it was more a litmus test of ethics and honesty -- and server scripting skills. Bored corporate sysop types generating thousands of fake hits on their cut-n-paste techno efforts and old band tapes was bad enough... but at one point some skank took a demo mix from an early version of Fruity Loops and had a Top 10 hit on the techno charts there. It was a moment.
Old 10th August 2009
Gear Head

songwriting corner

Great Idea!!!!!
Old 11th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
That's a pretty title (days were like lakes).
Ditto that. He's got a cool, arty looking site to go with it, too: dayswerelikelakes.com

Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

I mean, when I finally went to put set up a MySpace page for my eponymous acoustic act, I already found one -- my name -- and my music! (Maybe it was a fan? MySpace has a procedure all set up for such situations and getting my name 'back' was quite straightforward.)

But that was in my name. And that was the only reason I found it.
Yeah, by the time I heard about lastfm. I already had a page...
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
And a parting FWIW: having watched and listened to folks and their music with regard to this issue, it's my (perhaps slightly snarky but sincere) thought that, by and large, those who profess the greatest fear about having their songs stolen are often those with the least to worry about...
Ha Ha!! So true. Is there even a single song (from the last 10 years or so), at least the ones topping the charts (those being the ones that will be remembered, that are "important", and make money), which makes you think, gee I wish I'd written that...

of course, they must be great, because, they wouldn't be there if they weren't...
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

+1 great idea. i think a little separation between the gearhead threads and the subjects relating purely to music (songwriting, arrangement, favorite albums etc.) would help put a bit of order into the "so much gear, so little time" forum--it's all over the place!
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

I really think this would be a great idea!

Wait....I think I voted already.
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ditto that. He's got a cool, arty looking site to go with it, too: dayswerelikelakes.com
I went to the site. There's a song on the site called "Wow & Flutter & Hiss." I'll bet the only guys on this forum who remember what that (gear-related) term means are all over the age of forty...
Old 11th August 2009
I'm confused. There's already a work in progress section here where you can post your songs or lyrics or whatever and discuss them. It's not specifically about the process of songwriting, but probably it wouldn't be that much off the beaten path there if people brought that up.

The problem is, no one ever comes over there. It's a wasteland most of the time.
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

I don't want a section for critiquing songs. We have that.

I want a section for discussing songwriting technique and theory - chords, scales, melodies, lyrics, and the songwriting process as a whole.
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

To clarify I'm not talking about a place to post files. A forum for discussion of the art and technique of writing. Eg. Song structure, climax, etc. Also a place to discuss the performance of writing, vocal delivery, presence, etc.
Old 11th August 2009
Heh... Heh.... he said climax.
Old 11th August 2009
pia
Gear Head

it is only the most important part in this business - hell yes!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that nowadays in this forum there are even more people interesting of songwriting/songs/whole production than 'just' gears

peace
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have a better idea:

Don't deport the few songwriting threads we see in this forum. They are nice OT breaks from the gear stuff.
Old 11th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Yup--good idea.
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
I don't want a section for critiquing songs. We have that.

I want a section for discussing songwriting technique and theory - chords, scales, melodies, lyrics, and the songwriting process as a whole.
+1, not a section for show and tell... more along the lines of a section for arts and crafts...!
Old 11th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
+1, not a section for show and tell... more along the lines of a section for arts and crafts...!
The show and tell issue can be a tough one if the forum is trying to do feedback/workshopping.

At HC's forum, there's a rule about only posting works in progress and brand new songs, ie, no promo, no check out my band threads. There's also a rule against starting a thread focusing on just one artist -- that was a result of an influx of label intern/street-teamer/guerilla marketing types.

(There are some forum institutions designed as pressure valves, a post-anything sticky thread which gets a lot of posts but not necessarily a lot of deeply involved readers/commenters, as well as a monthly showcase/news/gossip thread that is nearly wide-open. There's also a very popular 'Friday Influences' thread where folks post about what they've been influenced by through the week, with a lot of folks using YouTube embeds and links to examples of the music/artists.)

It appears that such a forum seems to run best when there are clear-cut ground rules and gentle but firm moderation. (And the aforementioned moderator whose smirky avatar looks just like mine may actually get that right eventually. heh )
Old 11th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I'm confused. There's already a work in progress section here where you can post your songs or lyrics or whatever and discuss them. It's not specifically about the process of songwriting, but probably it wouldn't be that much off the beaten path there if people brought that up.

The problem is, no one ever comes over there. It's a wasteland most of the time.
Oddly, I didn't even know about that forum until your post, Dean. I'm off to look for it, now.

EDIT: Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet. I just went to the forums list page and I couldn't find such a forum... little help here?
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

It would be great to have something like that. I'd be on it all the time!!
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

I'm down.

It's been talked about before but hasn't surfaced.

Darwin, you should post a poll. I think you could get some attention and build some steam that way
Old 11th August 2009
Lives for gear

+1

I'd like to see it in the Members-Only area, though. It would probably work as a sub forum of "All About the Music" or anywhere in that neighborhood.

Good luck. Keep us posted,
++aldo
Old 11th August 2009
Old 11th August 2009
This forum as created with the idea of being chatter about the activities on the control room side of the glass.

But I can see the attraction..

There are some plans afoot that might fit in with these wishes..
Old 12th August 2009
Lives for gear

No thanks.

I've not seen it work even with the best of intentions. Too subjective. If you've got no idea what my taste in music is like, why on earth would you take my advice on your song?

While engineering is subjective, too...not to the same degree, IMO. Most people can sort of agree what a good recording is. I mean, maybe there will be some fringe opinions...but, mostly, no one's listening to Norah Jones thinking it sounds bad. But, to continue with the example--plenty of people will take issue with some aspect of her music/writing/performance, no? Some will think it's brilliant...others rank...others too vanilla to care...
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
This forum as created with the idea of being chatter about the activities on the control room side of the glass.

But I can see the attraction..

There are some plans afoot that might fit in with these wishes..
That would be great. I think a lot of us would love a writing sub forum!
Old 23rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
No thanks.

I've not seen it work even with the best of intentions. Too subjective. If you've got no idea what my taste in music is like, why on earth would you take my advice on your song?

While engineering is subjective, too...not to the same degree, IMO. Most people can sort of agree what a good recording is. I mean, maybe there will be some fringe opinions...but, mostly, no one's listening to Norah Jones thinking it sounds bad. But, to continue with the example--plenty of people will take issue with some aspect of her music/writing/performance, no? Some will think it's brilliant...others rank...others too vanilla to care...
I disagree. Writing techniques can be applied the same to any genre.
Old 24th September 2009
Jules wuz here...
Old 24th September 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Jules wuz here...
Did he have songwriters in mind? Or just in the neighborhood...
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just to update you guys (in case you haven't heard), Jules has said that there will be a songwriting subforum this year. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search