The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools Lag when pressing play
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Head

Pro Tools Lag when pressing play

Hey everybody.. I'm using Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 on Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1. M-Audio Ozone interface.

It's been working PERFECT up until a couple weeks ago when, all of the sudden in the middle of a session, it started to lag when i would press play.
Used to be, I would record-enable the track, press record, press play, and BAM instant gratification. but like i said, in the middle of a session one day, it just decided to start "waiting" for about anywhere between 4-8 seconds after i pressed play to actually start playing/recording..
Pre and Post-roll are off.. I've adjusted my buffer, I've reduced total record time to 10 min.. Re installed my interface drivers. I know its not the pre-roll because there is no click track playing until it actually starts.. The buffers never posed a problem before, nor did the total record time. I can't figure it out!

Possibly a CPU problem? it's been taking a lil longer than normal to start up. about 3-5 minutes.. which an entire other problem i'm tryin to figure out.. Had a problem with my dvd combo drive detecting blank disks, but got that fixed..
The computer seemed to start acting up immediately after Pro Tools started laggin.

I've read through a ton of forums and searches and tried everything i've found with no luck..
Any recommendations? if not a Pro Tools problem, can anyone shoot me in the right direction for tech help to fix my start up problem?

Thanks in advance!

-Eddie V
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

when you hit play watch your transport. is there anything blinking on it?

is this happening globally (all sessions) or just one in particular?

is this an edit heavy session with a lot of x-fades?

dynamic transport.... on or off?

finally, what's your hardware buffer setting at?

oto
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Maniac

This has happend to me before. go to system prefs>sound, then switch the input and output off of whatever it's currently on. The lag when pressing play should be gone.

-Sammy
Old 6th August 2009

Is this while recording several tracks? If so, you could avoid the delay by putting it in "Prime for Record Mode". Look it up in the manual for the specific steps.
Old 6th August 2009
Gear Head

In ProTools sessions you have two very different Sets of Setting for either Tracking or Mixing. When you started your recording it was probably set stock and set best for just recording. When you started building up your session and mixing you probably still have the same settings.

When you decide to start mixing you need to adjust your settings for better processing.

Happy hunting.
Old 6th August 2009
You may wish to check the Digidesign support pages for M-powered.

System Software

* Windows Vista Business or Ultimate Edition
o 32-bit OS Installation Only
o With Windows Vista Service Pack 1
* Windows XP Professional or Home Edition
o With Windows XP Service Pack 3

* Not Supported:
o Windows Vista 64-bit (any version)
o Windows XP 64-bit
o Windows XP Media Center Edition
o Windows 98, Me, 2000, NT, 95, 3.1, DOS

* Not Tested:
o Windows XP SP1 or SP2
o Windows Vista without SP1
o Windows Vista Home and Home Premium Edition
o Although Windows Vista Home and Home Premium Edition have not been tested or qualified by Digidesign, there are currently no known issues with Vista Home and Home Premium 32-bit operating systems and Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0 compared to the supported Windows Vista Business or Ultimate Edition operating systems.

jeff
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

make sure it is "offline"
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

playback buffer!!!!
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
what's your hardware buffer setting at?

oto
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

I have sometimes experienced this too. Usually, I've had punch-in mode on and turning it off would solve the lag.

Still have no idea why it happens..

(PC WinXP, PT LE 7.1, etc etc..)
Old 6th August 2009

Make sure it's not set to pre roll or the 4 bar on the transport.
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

could be count off

its up the top right of the transport
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

It would be nice if the lag was predictable, but it's not. Random intervals at random times. Might be time for a new PC anyways..
Old 6th August 2009
DHL
Gear Head

Play/Pause issue driving me nuts... - Digi User Conference

From the last page of that thread...(pg 15)

DigiTechSupt - July 1st, 2009

"Just a quick update - we're pretty sure we've found the main source of the problem and will implement the fix in an upcoming release of Pro Tools. There are a few contributors that may take more serious work to solve and we're working on those as quickly as we can."
Old 7th August 2009
Gear Head

Get a Mac first off.

Then, utilize the Hardware Settings Dialogue Box in conjunction with the proper settings for either Mixing or Tracking. If you still experience issues then its a bug. I've NEVER had any issues with PT and i've been using it in and out of school since 2003.
Old 7th August 2009
Lives for gear

Lot's of DUC'ers with this problem.
Old 7th August 2009

I had a problem where pro tools took up to 30 seconds to STOP (not play)

it turned out it was only in sessions with the pianoteq plugin. Have you started using any new or incompatible plugins?

matt
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Head

You guys wanna know what happened?
I'll tell ya

So apparently, with protools, on vista... If one of your drives' names ( i.e. "C:") is more than 11 characters... (one of mine was named "FACTORY_IMAGE D:" ) Protools can corrupt the drive -_- and it did.. it was affecting my entire PC..

lol.. I had to restore windows to factory and start over, renaming the drive.

I did get an error a couple of times while opening protools, but it was like 3 paragraphs long and I never felt like reading it lmao.. But i decided to and it said something about the NTFS drive being more than 11 characters and blah blah blah..

Guess who's gonna be reading every error message from now on!! fuuck
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Addict

I had this issue...

Installed the new update (8.0.1) and now after 6 hours of use, it's completely gone.

Not only that, but everything seems to be more responsive.

Go download it and install it on top of your current install; no need to uninstall ProTools first.

Peaces!
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Govna View Post
I had this issue...

Installed the new update (8.0.1) and now after 6 hours of use, it's completely gone.

Not only that, but everything seems to be more responsive.

Go download it and install it on top of your current install; no need to uninstall ProTools first.

Peaces!

Yes did it yesterday, no issues any longer. 8.0.1 looks great to, horizontal scroll issue is also fixed!
Old 5th September 2009
Gear Head

im still using 7.4 -_- lol
Old 5th September 2009
Lives for gear

how much memory do you have install in your computer? also, what about harddrives? one, two ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search