The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
rnc 1773, how good is it?
Old 3rd May 2003
rnc 1773, how good is it?

would you recommend me to setup several rnc 1773's in my studio as standard compressors plus a few high end compressors, like slam, 160sl etc???

or should i buy 16 160sl ??????

regards deft:::
Old 3rd May 2003
a friend of mine has asked to improve his studio existing studio and to complet it with stuff he still needs. he does a lot of sega music (comes from mauritius, south africa) with acoustic instruments, thus he needs a lot of compressors for his 32 channel desk/setup.

he's already got 4 compressors, mainly dbx's (no not the 160sl) and one behringer. i think 6 1773's would give him a good setup for little money. plus one or two highend compressors for the vocal and lead instrument.

another choice would be the presonus acp88. on 2 u it's got 8 compressors, but i think the rnc's sound better, do^n't they?

Old 3rd May 2003
if you know this little thing: how does it work in mono mode? as far as i've seen it you can not use it as 2 mono signal chains, only as stereo or 1 mono signal chain.

when i connect this unit to a patchbay (all his ins and outs are connected), will it affect the signal that comes in mono in the left or right input?

Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

the 2 signals going into the RNC better have similar compressor settings because it applies the same compressor settings to both channels

dual mono = 2 RNC's
Old 3rd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

For $200, you really can't have everything. Wire the two channels of eacn RNC next to each other in the patch bay - if you want a mono compressor, only use one side.

Also, be aware that you don't HAVE to use a compressor on every channel of your mix - only where you need to control the levels. If the instruments are well played and well recorded, no compression is often the best. Of course, this advice comes from someone who as around 40 channels cof compressors in his studio, and often uses 20 of them on a mix...)
Old 3rd May 2003
oh no... why i can not have everything for 200$

i'm aware of not having to use on every channel a compressor, but with the 3 rnc's he will have about 24 channels of compression, like you, and i've thought that this will be enough for starting, but this anyway a never ending story.

thanks a lot guys. regards deft:::
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

You really can't go wrong with these things. I've got three of them and they almost always end up on something. I certainly wouldn't think of them as 2 channels though. They're mono units with the luxury of using them on a stereo source.
Old 3rd May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
They're mono units with the luxury of using them on a stereo source.
An excellent description - may I steal it?
Old 4th May 2003
Lives for gear

Re: rnc 1773, how good is it?

Quote:
Originally posted by deft_bonz
how good is it?

For $200 per channel, about as good as it gets.
Old 4th May 2003
Re: Re: rnc 1773, how good is it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Screws
For $200 per channel, about as good as it gets.
i'm aware of it not being an urei, but my question has been mentioned this way: is it better than behringer and other cheap stuff in this price range?

and after these answers i think: YES !!!!

Old 4th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
An excellent description - may I steal it?
Thanks, You may indeed.
Old 4th May 2003
Have you guys used it on overheads?
Old 4th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
Thanks, You may indeed.
Thank you. Now, if I only remember it...
Old 6th May 2003
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Yes, it can work well there.

I have three RNCs and I use then a lot. I dont' think there is and instrument I record regularly tht hasn't gone through an RNC at some time. I've even use one on the mix-buss.
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by deft_bonz
a friend of mine has asked to improve his studio existing studio and to complet it with stuff he still needs. he does a lot of sega music (comes from mauritius, south africa) with acoustic instruments, thus he needs a lot of compressors for his 32 channel desk/setup.

he's already got 4 compressors, mainly dbx's (no not the 160sl) and one behringer. i think 6 1773's would give him a good setup for little money. plus one or two highend compressors for the vocal and lead instrument.

another choice would be the presonus acp88. on 2 u it's got 8 compressors, but i think the rnc's sound better, do^n't they?

The RNC is a thing of beauty in Super Nice mode.

Steve, Mojo Pie
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Hey instead of getting the SLAM I would reccommend a 4 channel pre like a GML or API 3124 or Earthworks and a few stereo or mono pair comps. SLAM is cool but even for the features, it's quite pricy.

As for the RNC, if it had balanced XLR I/O, independant and linkable controlls for each channel, and seperate sidechain jack, I would pay $2000 for it. Oh, I'd want bigger knobs too. Larger knob=better sound right?
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Oh, I'd want bigger knobs too. Larger knob=better sound right?
Sorry to correct, but:

blue light = better sound
bigger knobs = more fun

(at least that's what my rather buxom girlfriend insists...)
Old 7th May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Of course!

Besides doing the usual clean compression on ovhd's, I like to let it get nasty and funky. The trick is to not use Supernice, and tweak the attack until it's too fast in combination with the release being too slow = nasty (but clean!) pumping with a scrapy edge. Sounds fan-****ing-tastic on ovhd's depending on the tune.

Not a new trick, but the RNC does have its own sound when doing it.
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Nut

RNC Trick: Daisy chain the channels.

Input sourse into left side output that into right side.....mangle away. You obviously wont have control over the sides individually, but who cares.
Mark McQuilken, the designer and maker of this great little box, recomended this one.

Charles
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Addict

I'll have to mess with the l/r daisy chaining, since the fact that the detector uses both channels as it's source is likely going to make it misbehave horribly. Then again, the already-compressed channel isn't necessarily going to do as much to trigger compression. Hmm. Maybe the radical, pumping settings will yield more sickness.

Bear
Old 7th May 2003
urumita

I have a big knob.
Old 8th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 7rojo7
I have a big knob.
It's not how big your knob is... it's how you tweek it...
Old 9th May 2003
Gear Nut

Since, as I understand it, the RNC is actually several cascading comps, some sounds can be beautifully mangled by daisy chaining. Subtle, it aint.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

I've always used the dbx 166 on group vocals (BGV's). Since that blew up I've been using the RNC and it does the job well.thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search