The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pacifica vs. Phoenix Audio drs-2
Old 31st July 2009
Gear Maniac

Pacifica vs. Phoenix Audio drs-2

Hi All,

Has anyone compared these two mic pres? I'm wondering which would work best for poprock male vocals and elec guitar.

Thanks!
TCW
Old 4 weeks ago
Bump.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Ten year bump yeah? I have both of these, and mostly use the pacifica for vocals (I try to keep the pad out as the pad chokes the high end a bit). It has a slightly more forward high end that I find, subjectively, very pleasing. I use the drs for stuff like overheads, room mics, piano. It's a more versatile preamp than the pacifica, obvs, but I like it the best when it's as transparent as possible. The eq is usable but slightly "harsh".
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyberg View Post
Ten year bump yeah? I have both of these, and mostly use the pacifica for vocals (I try to keep the pad out as the pad chokes the high end a bit). It has a slightly more forward high end that I find, subjectively, very pleasing. I use the drs for stuff like overheads, room mics, piano. It's a more versatile preamp than the pacifica, obvs, but I like it the best when it's as transparent as possible. The eq is usable but slightly "harsh".
haha right!? I googles for that exact comparison and this was all I found, so I figured, why not? Still a relevant question haha.

I have a pacifica and was curious for opinions. I'm tempted by discount on the older phoenix models, and like the idea of the eq as well, but I were to purchase that I'd have to sell one of my current pre's to offset the cost, since music isn't my main gig. Prob is, the current selection of pre's I have I really like. Kind of afraid to introduce a new one atm, I kind of want to start selling a few to just buy more of my fav's, and kind of go for that 'console' mentality, of recording stuff through the same pre's... Anyway, I digress... Thanks for your feedback, my temptation is back in check a bit lol...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search