The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BLA Auteur vs Eureka? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 31st July 2009
Gear Maniac

BLA Auteur vs Eureka?

Hi, I have two eurekas, I dig 'em, but I'm wondering if I could sell the eurekas, pick up a BLA auteur, and actually hear a difference? Has anybody been able to a/b the two and found the auteur to their benefit? Thanks for any help!

As it is now, i'm running an 003 with the BLA signature series, definitely hearing a difference to what i'm capable of getting out of it, but if the eurekas are better, or even that similar, I don't see the point, especially with the guitar line in that's conveniently in the front. Thanks!

Rob
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyrock View Post
Hi, I have two eurekas, I dig 'em, but I'm wondering if I could sell the eurekas, pick up a BLA auteur, and actually hear a difference? Has anybody been able to a/b the two and found the auteur to their benefit? Thanks for any help!

As it is now, i'm running an 003 with the BLA signature series, definitely hearing a difference to what i'm capable of getting out of it, but if the eurekas are better, or even that similar, I don't see the point, especially with the guitar line in that's conveniently in the front. Thanks!

Rob
Hello.. I don't have the Eureka, but I did have the MP-20... Traded it.....It never set quite right to me...)..I have the Auteur and IME, the Auteur works better for me... Have more headroom and bigger sounding..( YMMV)
Old 27th August 2009
Gear Nut

Sell them and get the Auteur. The Auteur has a tight rounded low end, with natural sounding mids and highs saturated with warm, and like Snatchman said, "more headroom and bigger sounding". It's not transparent and clean. More tape like. The Auteur doesn't look as cool because its not a rack piece. If you can handle that, then your music is going to sound better than using your Eureka's. I heard both of them through the apogee Ensemble with MC930 mic on acoustic guitars, on separate occasions. And in my opinion, I was impressed with the Auteur. Since you have the 003 Sig series mod, you will hear a difference for sure. If you were running a low end system, probably not.

I just got back my Sig series for my 002r from Black Lion Audio. I haven't been able to use it just yet, hopefully in a week. So question for some of you out there>>> Have any of you a/b'd the signature pres to the auteur? Just poking around here to see if any of you have some experience and feed back on the differences.
Old 18th September 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestat26 View Post
Sell them and get the Auteur. The Auteur has a tight rounded low end, with natural sounding mids and highs saturated with warm, and like Snatchman said, "more headroom and bigger sounding". It's not transparent and clean. More tape like. The Auteur doesn't look as cool because its not a rack piece. If you can handle that, then your music is going to sound better than using your Eureka's. I heard both of them through the apogee Ensemble with MC930 mic on acoustic guitars, on separate occasions. And in my opinion, I was impressed with the Auteur. Since you have the 003 Sig series mod, you will hear a difference for sure. If you were running a low end system, probably not.

I just got back my Sig series for my 002r from Black Lion Audio. I haven't been able to use it just yet, hopefully in a week. So question for some of you out there>>> Have any of you a/b'd the signature pres to the auteur? Just poking around here to see if any of you have some experience and feed back on the differences.
Sound to me like your not sure of what you've just done. I have a signature series 002 which i ran against a 96 I/O and most people who have heard it say it sounds better.(meaning the 002 over the HD) This of course is subjective. So what I'm saying is to "stick to your guns" and honor your own opinions. I called BLA the other day and the clocking for the signature series is the same as micro clock. So what do you think the pres are? It might be a good idea to ask BLA and not "subjective viewers". All the best and make you music.

Peace.
Old 19th September 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammyham View Post
Sound to me like your not sure of what you've just done. I have a signature series 002 which i ran against a 96 I/O and most people who have heard it say it sounds better.(meaning the 002 over the HD) This of course is subjective. So what I'm saying is to "stick to your guns" and honor your own opinions. I called BLA the other day and the clocking for the signature series is the same as micro clock. So what do you think the pres are? It might be a good idea to ask BLA and not "subjective viewers". All the best and make you music.

Peace.
I believe the majority of us that got the sig mod done to our 002r's know that the clock in it, is the microclock. I have also talked to the guys at bla several times about the auteur, and the modded 002 sig pres in comparison. They did tell me the modded pres on the sig are cleaner than the Auteur. Does that mean we should not ask questions about gear because we talked to the manufacturer? I want to know what others think as well.

Hammyham, you might find it useful to get feedback on gear not just from the manufactures, but all the "subjective users" out there too. I believe that is what these threads are "all about". Peace
Old 2nd October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestat26 View Post
I believe the majority of us that got the sig mod done to our 002r's know that the clock in it, is the microclock. I have also talked to the guys at bla several times about the auteur, and the modded 002 sig pres in comparison. They did tell me the modded pres on the sig are cleaner than the Auteur. Does that mean we should not ask questions about gear because we talked to the manufacturer? I want to know what others think as well.

Hammyham, you might find it useful to get feedback on gear not just from the manufactures, but all the "subjective users" out there too. I believe that is what these threads are "all about". Peace
I personally think the signature series mod hangs toe to toe but that's to my ears from a shootout I personally did. The guys at BLA will tell us anything just like the guys at Lavry and Apogee and all the other companies that make high end AD/DA converters. What I'm saying is for anyone interested in anything after doing your research if you feel a connection to something, then you should go with your instinct and try it yourself. I have posted clips of my shootout for people to hear but I still would like to give people the chance to think for themselves. At the end of the day it's all how we perceive our own reality. There's no right or wrong, just decisions.

Peace.

Peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search