The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Am I the only one not blown away by barefoots? Studio Monitors
Old 19th July 2009
Lives for gear

Am I the only one not blown away by barefoots?

Just got a pair last week before starting a mix and I'm not liking my mixes at all. Today I went back to the board mix I had going before I started with the barefoots and it sounds better. I've been chasing my tail A/Bing like crazy, burned a million cd's for the car and I guess I just don't 'get' the monitor.

I'm going back to my NS10/bryston/dynaudio sub setup and starting the mixes again from scratch.

I'm really surprised since all the comments have talked about how mixes immediately translate and how easy they are to get used to.
Old 19th July 2009
Gear Maniac

try these.
Old 19th July 2009
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet red View Post
Just got a pair last week before starting a mix and I'm not liking my mixes at all. Today I went back to the board mix I had going before I started with the barefoots and it sounds better. I've been chasing my tail A/Bing like crazy, burned a million cd's for the car and I guess I just don't 'get' the monitor.

I'm going back to my NS10/bryston/dynaudio sub setup and starting the mixes again from scratch.

I'm really surprised since all the comments have talked about how mixes immediately translate and how easy they are to get used to.
Couldn't be your room or placement?
Old 19th July 2009
Lives for gear

I think anytime you "upgrade" monitors you really should start from scratch with speaker placement in the room. It's possible that the Barefoots just don't like being where you had your old monitors.

Brad
Old 19th July 2009
Lives for gear

Well, I think that there is no monitor that works for everyone. You are able to do mixes on NS-10's as are many people....but I just never could. But the I've been very happy with the Barefoots and the way my mixes translate. We all need different things from a monitor. Plus, for me, I need time to throw out the mentally stored set of rules that my brain had gotten used to referencing when using the "old monitors." For me, it takes some time to realise all of the things I was compensating for....and get a new set of rules to follow for the new monitors....even if the new rules are "you can trust the high end" or whatever.

Kirt Shearer
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaAlpha970 View Post
try these.

I can't believe more people aren't using these. I've wanted a pair for a while....
Old 16th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Aren't you just still mixing the way you were on your previous session ?

Take a day and listen to all your favorite reference CD's trough the Barefoots and then make a new mix.
Old 16th February 2010
Gear Guru
Speakers are a very personal choice. Nothing works for everyone. But I finally got a chance to work on the Barefoots and I have to say I really liked them.
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

New monitors require some time getting used to no matter what brand they are. Mixes I did on the Barefoots translated very well but I sold them and moved on to other brands though. They are very accurate in the bass but wasn't satisfied with the mid frequencies though. They are pretty good overall.
Old 16th February 2010
Gear Head

I heard the barefoots at Gravity Studios and I didn't like them, but everyone that works there loves them. It's probably more so that I didn't know what the speakers were telling me about the audio since I wasn't used to them, but I guess that's what NS10s are for.
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

as with any monitor, you've got to spend time with them in your room and learn them. i wouldn't base my opinion off of one mix without spending the proper time with them. i listened to mine for about a week before i even began to mix on them and figured out the best placement and how they were reacting in my room. i couldn't be happier with mine. i'm actually disappointed when i'm at another studio away from my babies! heh
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

If your used to NS 10's, the Barefoot's sound ridiculously overblown.
I've never owned a pair, just spent some time in a mixing room with them.

I personally thought they sounded great, but I couldn't tell where the reference was compared to NS 10s or Genelec's.

Like said, you have to get used to a new monitor setup.
When I built my studio in 2002, I had a rep bring over some Genelec's for a week.
I thought the mixes in my room did not translate at all and I went back to my Event 20/20's and NS 10's.
In my room the mixes translated better.

Hopefully there's a good resale value for the Barefoot's, they ain't cheap.
If your not blown away, I would sell them.
They look kinda cool, but I think there's other gear that would impress clients more for the price.
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

Welcome to actually hearing your mixes for the first time!!! Sucks don't it? Now listen to your favorite records and you won't be quite as impressed with them. Although sometimes it actually more!!!!! heh
Old 16th February 2010
Gear Nut

You are not alone. I really didn't like them. I have heard them in 4 different rooms and the low end seemed weird. Almost like a subwoofer that was not set up correctly. Not my cup of tea.
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

I was not 'blown away', but I did like them.

Of course it will take more than just liking them for the $$ they cost.

I agree that I would need to try them out for a week to make sure. But when a/b/c-ing them for 30 mins against focal twins and 0300's, I wasn't blown away. The twins and 0300's didn't blow me away either.

Mind you, part of my idea of 'blown away' would be a monitor that would replace most of the crazy amount of monitors I currently have (6 pairs ), so it is a tall order. I still wanna try out the Opals.
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

For what those monitors cost, if I wasn't blown into next week, I would be taking them back, you can buy alot of nice stuff with that kind of coin.
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Welcome to actually hearing your mixes for the first time!!! Sucks don't it? Now listen to your favorite records and you won't be quite as impressed with them. Although sometimes it actually more!!!!! heh
What's the difference between that and speakers that just sound bad?

(I'm only sort of kidding)

-R
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post

-R
I hear ya!

The difference depends upon the coin someone just dropped on a pair of monitors hehhehhehhehheh
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post

-R
Does anything sound good on bad speakers? Not really. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search