The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Track/Info Sheets for Computer?
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

Track/Info Sheets for Computer?

Now that I am recording to computer most of the time, I am realizing the useful notes I used to scribble on the track sheet have gone the way of, well, analog. For each track, I would make a note of what mic through which pre at what setting for reference. I am no longer doing that. Suppose I could, in the notes field for each track (DP3), but it is not as convient as my track sheets.

What are you doing to keep track of your tracks?

Old 1st May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Why not continue to use a track sheet?
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

Dave, I sort of started a 'notes' sheet this week, although it is very undefined at this point. My track sheets went through many revisions untill I was happy with it. Now the tracks are more fluid, as in track 4 will probably not stay track 4 for long because I might canabalize it and use bits on track 7 or might want to move it around to make it easier to see.

On tape (or even adats), a track stays where it is. Tuesday I recorded a vocalist and really nailed her 'sound' (AT 4050 into Pendulum MDP-1). We had tried a bunch of different combinations and I realized that I was not documenting like I used to, because I no longer needed a track sheet to know what was where. I label my tracks in DP.

So I guess I don't need a track sheet, but need to create a 'notes' template. I have seen a million track sheets in my day, and was able to make mine using them as a starting place, but I have not any 'notes sheets.'
Old 1st May 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by David R.

So I guess I don't need a track sheet, but need to create a 'notes' template. I have seen a million track sheets in my day, and was able to make mine using them as a starting place, but I have not any 'notes sheets.'
There's a whole set of documentation that the P&E wing aof NARAS and the AES has come up with - check their respective websites - that may help you out - I seem to remember various kinds of notes sheets that may help. Since George Massenburg is part of the committee, they ought to be workable in the real world.

Lynn Fuston may have been involved as well.
Old 1st May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Dave, I highly recommend Apogee Session Tools studio management software. In addition to track sheets (which can be configured anyway you like or from templates), there are pages for notes which can be acessed as if you're clicking you're way through the tabs in a filing cabinet. But wait there's more..

Templates for most of the commonly found studio gear are included and can be printed out to mark up. There are sections for booking, client database, and invoices. It all looks really good and pro, too.

Bob Clearmountain and another guy designed it ..
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

The NARAS Master Delivery Recommendations contains a template for a "Recording Map", and some other documents you might find useful in this regard. As Dave Martin points out, George Massenburg was involved in the creation of this thing, and there was some discussion about it on his forum

There's also some ProTools-specific stuff currently in the works here
-dave
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

(Jules - can you put a Dave only filter on this thread? Or, can you take it off? )

Dave-G, I have seen the Master Delivery Recommendation and it contains some great templates for mixes/masters, not for individual tracks.

I am looking for, or perhaps need to create, something like -

Instrument:
Date recorded:
Take:
Signal Path: (mic, pre or D.I. and settings for each)

Would be great to be able to access this easily durring a session, perhaps have it running in the background. I was originally thinking paper, but software is good.

Jax - does the Apogee do this and what do they charge for it?

BTW, nice use of the
Old 1st May 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

(The quote function won't let you (or at least me) cut out stuff from the original quote since the 'merchandise' logo was added above. Anyhoo, it can always be done this way

"Would be great to be able to access this easily durring a session, perhaps have it running in the background. I was originally thinking paper, but software is good."

Dave, you can print out any page any time if you need to hold some bark. And yes, it will run in the background.

"Instrument:
Date recorded:
Take:
Signal Path: (mic, pre or D.I. and settings for each)

Jax - does the Apogee do this and what do they charge for it?"

I don't remember but I'd be surprised if it didn't. The regular track sheets suit me fine, but the program is very deep. You can check it out by downloading the demo
HERE.

I'm probably being overthorough (but that's because I don't think most people are thorough enough), but if the demo version doesn't have the feature, I'll check on my version when I have the chance. Let me know.

Oh yeah, it's a well spent $300. Might've come down since I bought it 5 years ago.
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

I've always just created my own using a spreadsheet program like Excel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search